Why Do You Use Windows 10?

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
because I can take screenshoot using windows key and print screen (no need additional app/software) :cool::cool::cool::cool:

and because I play game, they tend to using latest os version than the older one.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Using 8.1 (with classic shell) and Debian at the moment. Hopefully M$ have sorted out their issues before 8.1 goes out of support in 4 years.
The win7 users were also betting on that expectation.
According to my personal opinion, the evaluation of win10 will change greatly depending on whether or not 8 is introduced.;)

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
I use it because I want the latest OS with the latest in security and compatibility.

OS adoption hasn’t been like the “XP to Vista” days: Win10 installs great in different hardware and it’s compatible with our corporate software(BIG PLUS).

Our team is on an aggressive campaign to either update current machines or coordinate replacements.I love 7(It has been as stable as it can be and it still is) but times are changing.Either Linux or MacOS aren’t an option(Unless we use Citrix for the apps)....

Last edited:

AntonScott

May 21, 2017
Windows 10 is:
  • Invades Your Privacy
  • Bloated
  • Weak Security

Very true, but so is Windows 7, you only really need about 20% or less of Windows 7. Indeed using a system build tool I've got my Windows 7 down to 6 GB, by rebuilding it without the bloatware (it's a windows 7 ultimate system btw). A typical system would be 30 GB, the vast majority of which you will never use (or rather only gets used by malware). Though if you really want a small Windows 7 you can get you can get Win7 PE at 300 MB.

The number of bugs in any program which provides a given service is proportion to L^b where L is the number of lines of code and b>1. That's because most bugs come from interaction between modules. A lot of effort goes into reducing b but it's still greater than 1. Every version of Windows which has ever been released has promised that it is 'the most secure version of windows ever' - it's marketing hype.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
VThough if you really want a small Windows 7 you can get you can get Windows 7 PE at 300 MB.

Isn't Win7 PE only for recovery.

Win7 PE usage Windows PE is not a general-purpose operating system. It may not be used for any purpose other than deployment and recovery.

To prevent its use as a production operating system, Windows PE automatically stops running the shell and restarts after 72 hours of continuous use. This period is not configurable.

The default Windows PE installation uses the FAT32 file format, which poses its own limitations, including a maximum 4GB file size and maximum 32GB drive size.

Reactions: oldschool

AntonScott

May 21, 2017
Isn't Windows 7 PE only for recovery.

No. There's nothing stopping you from putting whatever you want on the system.

It may not be used for any purpose other than deployment and recovery.

That restriction only applies to the PE released as part of WAIK - which is fair enough. If you have a licence for windows and use it to build your own PE without using WAIK you will never see of that restriction. The legal situation is similar to BartPE for XP which Microsoft was unable to stop (though the original version had to modified to make it legal).

To prevent its use as a production operating system, Windows PE automatically stops running the shell and restarts after 72 hours of continuous use. This period is not configurable.

I've never run my system continuously for 24 hours let alone 72 - I always turn it off at night.

The default Windows PE installation uses the FAT32 file format

You don't have to use the default - though at that 300 MB FAT32 make more sense. PE has no problem reading and creating NTFS partitions (obviously it would be pretty useless as a recovery tool if it didn't). With some a lot of effort you can even copy the whole OS entirely to a ram disk and run it from there. That's an interesting setup - you get the same system every time you boot and rebooting removes any malware on the OS. You could even write protect the original copy.

Reactions: roger_m

mediator_ram

Level 1
Verified
May 2, 2019
I'm using it mainly for Quickbooks as it requires higher end of internet explorer that is Microsoft edge browser to validate the QB.
Apart from that, I would enjoy the speed and attractive features which is a bonus to use Windows 10.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
I use Windows due to :
Malware Analysis(Linux is not that developed at : :))
Can find the loop holes and vulnerabilities, as i do pen testing
Last but not least, it is free, can be cracked locally with a KMS server, infect and dis infection is easy > Lots of learning's for a beginner

I prefer using KALI LINUX as USB bootable rather than a direct installation on Linux Machine

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I don't like Windows. I only use it because a few essential apps are there, updates are free and I can find the drivers for my computer easily compared to Linux. But I really cannot stand it anymore when I compare it to my experience on my Chromebook.

StrikeFIN

Level 2
Verified
Dec 15, 2017
I used W10 till early this year, changed to Xubuntu 18.10, biggest reason were GAMING!

But now Lutris + TKG wine builds + DXVK (or D9VK for Directx9 games) feels much better after all changes, compared to Windows 10.

lunarlander

Level 1
Verified
Oct 8, 2017
I use Win 10 because my users use it.

Weak Security <- Security will always have holes, no matter which OS you run.
Unstable <- It has been stable for me. But I only do basic things like surfing and word processing.
No 2 way firewall <- Win 10 DOES have a 2 way firewall. You just have to turn it on. Windows has had a 2 way firewall ever since Vista

Reactions: Captain Awesome

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Because I can't install Windows 7 on my laptop, so I'm stuck with built in Win 10

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.