Advice Request Why Do You Use Windows Defender Antivirus?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I Tested with your program that configures Windows Defender that is very good, I enabled high settings and noticed spikes of 100% CPU when I opened a browser for example, while in Avast spent around 60% CPU. My processor is a bit old is a phenom X6
Every computer can work differently. When I start Edge, there is a 2 second spike to 30-40% CPU, and it is the same with Defender turned ON (high settings) or turned OFF.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Why the most normal home user should visit the Malcode databases? :unsure:
He does not have to install any extension because Edge, Google Chrome and Firefox have it preinstalled.(y)
Now just i check on malcode database and openPhish one of the weakest antivirus on HUB the Webroot SecureAnywhere. The web filter block all the links. From one home user without any experience is really very safety one good web filter. , Google Chrome and Firefox block some links.Watch the video the virus downloaded from Firefox and after R.I.P the pc. But if they have the extra protection from example Kaspersky web filter or webroot web filtering after is super secure.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
One site with online movies have more virus from malcode. Many home users visit sites like this.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
For Part 1: Windows 10 - Why Do You Use Windows 10?
Self-explained thread title.

Windows Defender Antivirus is:
  • Invades Your Privacy
  • Sends All Data to Microsoft Servers
  • Very Weak Protection
  • Slows Down My PC
  • Scans All My 1000 Downloaded Files
  • Low Detection Rate
  • Easily Bypassed
  • No Real Firewall
  • Uses All My RAM (Memory)
  • Broken White-listing Settings
  • Lack of Customization
  • Cannot Be Trusted
Comment below.
Satire aside, Windows Defender is the least likely to cause software conflicts, which are a major headache, and very common with other AVs.
Weaponized MS Office docs are probably the biggest single threat in 2019. Windows Defender affords excellent protection against them, by means of ASR, which is easy to enable with ConfigureDefender.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
For many of the gurus and experts on this thread.... they are right. With all the different ways they can tweak things or add other products, Windows Defender is fine.

But...

For many of us here, we can do many of those same things (talked about in this thread) with a Norton, ESET, Bitdefender, Cylance, CrowdStrike... and end up with better and lighter protection. Granted, it may only be a tiny bit better... but it IS better. And lighter.

Many of us here at MT want the best available AV to serve as the cornerstone of the system. That's why we are here, to learn about and select the best and lightest products and additional products (extensions...) and apply the best tweaks.

'The best' is not Windows Defender.

Yes, it's gotten significantly better. And that's great.

And it may be best for you.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Windows Defender is more than adequate for home users; dont buy the paranoia propaganda, dont be a victim of security fadigue and keep your software (and hardware) up to date and you will be fine.

Yes, there are (some) better solutions than Windows Defender in the market, but dont expect them to be much better than the free, native, no nonsense Microsoft solution; in reality most security solutions nowadays are worse than WD (Webroot for example).

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
One site with online movies have more virus from malcode. Many home users visit sites like this.
View attachment 212079

So what? Where is the payload? Did it bypassed Smart Screen + Windows Defender?

Just visiting a malicious website doesnt mean that the user will be automatically infected; drive by download malware days are over (yes, I know there are some few exceptions like script miners).

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I will not continue the comments do not help anywhere. Everyone has an opinion. What I know is that in a good product the first defense is the web filter and the most important is the behavior blocker. Thats my opinion.

You are not wrong there and I agree with you, but not in the actual context (Windows Defender).

Nowadays almost all browsers uses Google Safe Browsing API (refer to @Evjl's Rain tests), so holistically and considering Smart Screen + the free Windows Defender extension, the user isnt missing a web filter.

Windows Defender has a bonus that it doesnt break SSL and has minimal impact on browsing speed.

About the behavior blocker, I disagree there, it isnt the most important layer, but the most powerful one; the most important is always the good and old well-crafted signature detection (contrary to popular opinion, it is hard to get a zero day malware infection).

Last edited:

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
You are not wrong there and I agree with you, but not in the actual context (Windows Defender).

Nowadays almost all browsers uses Google Safe Browsing API (refer to @Evjl's Rain tests), so holistically and considering Smart Screen + the free Windows Defender extension, the user isnt missing a web filter.

Windows Defender has a bonus that it doesnt break SSL and has minimal impact on browsing speed.

About the behavior blocker, I disagree there, it isnt the most important layer, but the most powerful one; the most important is always the good and old well-crafted signature detection (contrary to popular opinion, it is hard to get a zero day malware infection).

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014

Your point is?

Ps: I am actually a Kaspersky (paid) user.

Capturar.JPG

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014

See the comments from the beginning to have a correct opinion on your answers to me

Your point is?

Ps: I am actually a Kaspersky (paid) user.

View attachment 212083
The System Watcher nothing else. And the web filter

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
The System Watcher nothing else. And the web filter

Like I said:
"About the behavior blocker, I disagree there, it isnt the most important layer, but the most powerful one; the most important is always the good and old well-crafted signature detection (contrary to popular opinion, it is hard to get a zero day malware infection). "

About your other arguments ("heavy" and "With Kaspersky free or Bitdefender free or Avast free or Forticlient or Sophos free you can not download anything from Malcode database because of web filters."), I still disagree with you because system impact is machine dependent and the average user isnt surfing on Malcode.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Like I said:

About your other arguments ("heavy" and "With Kaspersky free or Bitdefender free or Avast free or Forticlient or Sophos free you can not download anything from Malcode database because of web filters."), I still disagree with you because system impact is machine dependent and the average user isnt surfing on Malcode.
Malcode is one example. I am Greek. We have many sites full of viruses. Products like Kaspesky Bitdefender etc it can protect your system. Defender..........

And my opinion for Webroot SecureAnywhere

uduoix

Level 5
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
How many average users know about ublock malwarebytes or others extensions? But if they install one antivirus like Kaspersky Free Bitdefender free, they not need to install extensions to have secure system.

How many users know about kaspesky free or bitdefender free? For averge user is still better extension then 3rd party AV in case if it comes to conflicts with OS.

And this tests has nothing to do with real life. 99.9% users are not looking for malware or any other way to get infected. Even systems with kaspersky/bitdefender/whatever get infected.
Check other IT forums and you will see how many people have 3rd party AV and got infected.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
How many users know about kaspesky free or bitdefender free? For averge user is still better extension then 3rd party AV in case if it comes to conflicts with OS.

And this tests has nothing to do with real life. 99.9% users are not looking for malware or any other way to get infected. Even systems with kaspersky/bitdefender/whatever get infected.
Check other IT forums and you will see how many people have 3rd party AV and got infected.

135000 views ;) look the coments

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Well my opinion of WD, It's a good AV for those who know. But for those who are not lucky enough to be in MT it is still bad.
It is good in the hands of an expert, but not for the whole World.
Everyone does not know H_C or configure Defender only what we are in MT with the help of the geniuses that walk around here we can realize the potential of WD.:giggle:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Now just i check on malcode database and openPhish one of the weakest antivirus on HUB the Webroot SecureAnywhere. The web filter block all the links. From one home user without any experience is really very safety one good web filter. , Google Chrome and Firefox block some links.Watch the video the virus downloaded from Firefox and after R.I.P the pc. But if they have the extra protection from example Kaspersky web filter or webroot web filtering after is super secure.
Did you try the same links against SmartScreen in Edge + WD "Block at first sight" which are turned ON by default in Windows 10? If not, then such test can be easily questioned.
In practice the default Windows 10 protection is OK and SmartScreen anti-phishing filter is good.
The AV web filtering has the advantage to block some malicious downloads by scripts, macros, etc., which are done outside the web browser. But, it is not especially efficient - you can see it on Malware Hub. Also, It is not as efficient for blocking phishing websites, as web browser extensions. WD has better script/macros protection than, for example, Avast so in the end, the protection is similar. Furthermore, Avast web filtering (true for many AVs) has an impact on web browser performance, and many users turn it OFF.

We can talk a long time about details, but this will not change the fact, that for the home users on Windows 10, WD protection is similar to any free AV. You can look at the professional real world tests (AV Comparatives, AV Test). The exception can be the user who downloads cracks, pirated software, etc. From my personal experience, WD is not very good against Coin miner malware, but I cannot generalize this as the real WD issue.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.