Advice Request Why does Iobit have such a bad reputation?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Are IObit Programs so bad?

• No, all Programs are nice

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • The Iobit uninstaller is good

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • Advanced SystemCare is good

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • MalwareFighter is good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing from IObit is good

Votes: 63 54.8%

• Total voters

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Humans.

Early releases of IObit Uninstaller were very good in my opinion, the newer versions introduced a 2 tier system; Free and Pro.

ASC is very popular, but how many PC users actually need half the features..? No one needs to regularly "deep clean" their PC for better performance. If you have a crap PC, then you have crap hardware. Want a speed boost? Upgrade the internals. Software can only do so much, the rest of the time it's a placebo effect.

Examples;
You clear the cache, you free up 2GB. You open the browser, that space gets filled up again.
You optimise your drive, you install and uninstall a couple programs, it's fragmented again.

Other maintenance tools may exploit the Windows userbase with all sorts of claims.

MalwareFighter is OK, but poor when compared to full-feature Antivirus and Anti-malware alternatives. Not something I would personally use ever.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I know the incident with Malwarebytes against Iobit but that has to be forgotten sometime or not?
That depends, how you choose the software. For me, trust is important. I would never use a software, I could not trust, no matter how good it is.
Iobit stole the code and pretended it to be its own, then sold it as such. There is nothing worse in dev community than stoling someone's work.

But aside from that Iobit was always scareware. Pretending to find 1000 errors and offering to fix them, once you buy it. Not to mention my favorite: Increasing computer performance by 1200%, eventually they got it down to a more realistic number and dropped it to 900% only. :D

As of now, Iobit software is OK, not bad, but nothing special. Its driver updater is mediocre at best. Its cleaner is fine, but there are better options.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
MalwareFighter uses BitDefender Engine Right? Is that Engine not very powerfull?
Bitdefender is a very good antivirus, not just because of its signatures, but also due to its proactive protection. IMF only uses the signatures from Bitdefender, which means it won't do very well at protecting against unknown threats.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
IObit is definitely not a trustworthy company. But, they do make some good software, aside from Malware Fighter.

IObit Uninstaller is very good. It does a good job of finding leftovers, has a batch uninstall mode, where it can uninstall and scan for leftovers from multiple programs in one go. Also, it can scan for leftovers after a reboot, which is something that Revo and other alternatives can't do.

Advanced SystemCare is safe to use and is a well designed program. For example, it scans for unneeded startup programs and the programs it wants to stop running at startup are for most part, programs that actually have little need to be run at startup (e.g. Steam client). You can right click on anything you want to keep and ignore, so it does not get selected in future scans. I've seen other software do this in the past and they have taken a much more aggressive approach, which meant that quite often they wanted to disable startup entries, that I wanted to keep.

However, although it is safe to use and works well, just like any cleanup/optimisation software, it may not make make your computer run much faster - if at all. The paid Pro version, is regularly available as a giveaway, so you use all its features for free.

The licenses for ASC Pro recently expired on some of my computers, after which they revert to the free version. The free versions of ASC reported a ridiculous amount of optimisations that could be made if I upgraded to the Pro version. This was just a made up figure, in order to encourage me to upgrade.

Wise Disk Cleaner and HDCleaner can clean more junk than ASC.

Driver Booster is an okay program. It works well and rarely installs incompatible drivers, but really needs a much bigger database of drivers.

One good thing I can say about IObit, is that they do listen to feedback from their customers. I reported issues with false positives in the registry cleaner and startup optimisation modules in ASC and they fixed then. I suggested they add the ability to scan for leftovers after a reboot to IObit Uninstaller and they added it.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Malwarebytes wins court case over classification of 'crappy' software as 'potentially unwanted program' | TheINQUIRER

Malwarebytes won its case in court to block all software products from Enigma Software, makers of Spyhunter, Reghunter...

But Malwarebytes argued that Enigma was tricking customers into purchasing its solutions by making "false claims" contrary to the immunity provisions set out by the Communications Decency Act..
“The reality is that this is not only a critical win for Malwarebytes, but for all security providers who will continue to have legal protection to do what is right for their users,” said Malwarebytes co-founder Marcin Kleczynski in a statement. “This decision affirms our right to enable users by giving them a choice on what belongs on their machines and what doesn’t.”

Malwarebytes did block several IOBit products too. Not sure if they still do.... but I would guess yes.

:emoji_beer:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
One good thing I can say about IObit, is that they do listen to feedback from their customers. I reported issues with false positives in the registry cleaner and startup optimisation modules in ASC and they fixed then. I suggested they add the ability to scan for leftovers after a reboot to IObit Uninstaller and they added it.
Nice, I wish Wise was like that. I reported a wrong reg value in their fixes for disabling IPv6 (twice), never fixed it. I reported, that advanced cleaning via cmd takes forever since the latest version, they replied, that it is normal (it takes about 5 mins now, took 10 secs before).

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
It has Adware+PUP(same as wise products) but %99 safe to use if you disable the internet connection for it!
ASC uses the internet connection to check for updates to ASC and other software. IObit Uninstaller does some same, checking for an updated version and also checking for updates to other software, as it now includes a software updater.

Some software classifies IObit software as PUPs, but their software is safe to use.

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
I do not have anything to Iobit and its products, but somehow I can not convince myself, anyway, the opinion of the users of the company's programs is different, some praise others but the opinion still counts.
I use other programs for this purpose, moreover, to clean and optimize the system there are so many programs on the Internet, for color and choice, everyone can choose what suits him.
after all, I'm not a supporter of their products.;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.