Advice Request Why does Iobit have such a bad reputation?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Are IObit Programs so bad?

• No, all Programs are nice

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • The Iobit uninstaller is good

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • Advanced SystemCare is good

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • MalwareFighter is good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing from IObit is good

Votes: 63 54.8%

• Total voters

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I know the incident with Malwarebytes against Iobit but that has to be forgotten sometime or not?
No not at all. Its because they have not only taken the code, but passed it off as if it was their own, put all of their users at risk ( There might have been more than one corporations who had deployed this software) put themselves in a risky position and to top it all of it was just suicidal(because if it was proved in c court of law, that would have amounted to bankruptcy). Would you trust or employ someone who has known to have suicidal tendency? Absolutely not.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I have used many (if not most/all) of Iobit's "tools". I hate to say it but even Avast managed to vastly outperform their protection, and let's be realistic, Avast is definietly not a top-tier dog in the field...
That's understandable, because IMF does not have very good behaviour blocking and Avast is nowhere near as bad as if you make it out to be.
"Advanced SystemCare": the software's protection is memetic, a simple .dll file contains the info wether it's the pro, ultimate or free.... No words needed.
I don't know what your point is. Just because a program has only basic protection against piracy, does not mean that its bad.
Questionable the fact, that there's no audit nor any news related to 1. the company 2. its staff 3. its "products" 4. accidents (if any happened). It's a bit shady to me...
Which is also the case for most software publishers.

Cheeseman

Level 1
Jun 10, 2020
I don't know what your point is. Just because a program has only basic protection against piracy, does not mean that its bad.
Than what proof exists that tells me, as a potential customer that their tool(s) is (are) the best on the market if they care little about their own tool(s)'s protection, let along my protection?
That's understandable, because IMF does not have very good behaviour blocking and Avast is nowhere near as bad as if you make it out to be.
I have used Avast (many of its versions, free and paid ones too), and from my experience switching to Eset was single-handedly the best choiche I have ever made. Avast even back then had a questionable protection (granted, they had their gold days, but we all know what's true about good things, right?)... Now, their "protected and super-secure browser" was found not only to be anything but protected and super-secure, and it was used for god knows how long as a data gathering tool, and suprise-suprise it was sold to the highest bidder....
Which is also the case for most software publishers.
Yes, but most software publishers don't make so-called "pc care" and antivirus tools. Those who works in the security field gets audited wether they like it or not, otherwise who would buy their goods?

Reactions: Nevi and roger_m

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Than what proof exists that tells me, as a potential customer that their tool(s) is (are) the best on the market if they care little about their own tool(s)'s protection, let along my protection?
But it's not different with IObit to many other software publishers. For example all of the software from Auslogics/Tweakbit/Outbyte (which are all basically the same company) can be converted into the paid pro versions, just by copying a certain dll file to the program's folder.

Let's not also forget that it is extremely easy to illegally activate Windows. Does that mean we should all stop using Windows?
I have used Avast (many of its versions, free and paid ones too), and from my experience switching to Eset was single-handedly the best choiche I have ever made.
Avast has some issues certainly, but it still is a very good antivirus. I can name many antiviruses that offer nowhere near the level of protection that Avast does.

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
They once had problems with Malwarebytes' signatures and from then onwards they're suspicious. My advice will be to be cautious when using their software.

Reactions: Nevi and plat

FireHammer

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
Hello everyone, IMHO IObit has 2 good things going for them & that is IObit Uninstaller Pro & DriverBooster Pro.
I also have Revo-Uninstaller but sometimes I think IObit is better, I would like to say that ASC I would never consider using on my Notebook.
My Computer maintance is handled by Auslogics Boost-Speed 12. :)

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Software Updater, like all the Iobit junk, declares an update 'available' about twice a week. Each update is useless, and provides no new programs or value, but pushes a number of useless PAID upgrades, and other Iobit programs. It's a SPAM machine to be proud of. DO NOT install. Do not Pay for what is always available free. Your name and email will be resold and more 'interesting' offers will appear.
It works fine for me. I'm using the Pro version, which I got for free as giveaway and now and then, it scans for updates in the background. When it finds an update it automatically downloads and installs it. It only runs when it's checking for or installing updates, the rest of the time it doesn't even show an icon in the system tray.

In regard to SPAM, I've been an IObit user for years, rarely receive emails from them and have no reason to believe they are selling my details.

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
Nice, I wish Wise was like that. I reported a wrong reg value in their fixes for disabling IPv6 (twice), never fixed it. I reported, that advanced cleaning via cmd takes forever since the latest version, they replied, that it is normal (it takes about 5 mins now, took 10 secs before).
Yea, listening to user suggestion is a important thing.

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
The only program from Iobit I would not use is Iobit Uninstaller free. The pro clean good but the free not. Personaly i use REVO pro. The rest i use ASC pro and Driver booster pro for more of 15 years. Never i had one problem. I love this programs. The only bad program is malware figter
I use iobit driver booster+ASC pro for 2 years, didn't see problems caused by them.
They always make backups
They don't make problems, if they do then just use the restore point.

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
Based on my testing, at least 99% of registry cleaners have at least minor problems with false positives. This means that they will sometimes cause problems. However such problems are easily avoided if you never clean the registry. Aside from some exceptionally rare cases, cleaning the registry won't improve performance or fix problems. As a result, it doesn't matter if you never clean it.

While it's not good that IObit were unable to write a safe registry cleaner without some help, false positives are an issue for just about every registry cleaner ever written. Even CCleaner's registry cleaner has issues with false positives, even though it is widely regarded as being safe to use.
When ASC clean my reg it crushed......
SO I just unchecked the box on reg defrag and clean work fine
reg clean are dangerous and useless.(not just ASC like every reg cleaner)

Reactions: Cortex

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
When ASC clean my reg it crushed......
There could potentially be issues if you enable deep scanning, but aside from that, it should never delete any needed registry keys. Years ago the registry cleaner had issues with false positives, but I helped IObit fix the issues. Did the problem happen recently? Did you have deep scan checked?
reg clean are dangerous and useless.(not just ASC like every reg cleaner)
They are mostly useless, but there are a handful of registry cleaners that are safe to use.
It cleans so much more junk that once bricked my system.
That would be an exceptionally rare occurrence, as it should be safe to use. Wise Registry Cleaner and the registry cleaner in Wise Care 365 have very minor issues with false positives, but the disk cleaner shouldn't delete anything that is needed.
All trash. You don't need more than CCleaner, Defraggler and Revo Uninstaller, free versions,
Advanced SystemCare is safer to use than CCleaner, because CCleaner's registry cleaner has minor issues with false positives. But that's only issue if you use CCleaner's registry cleaner. If you just want to clean junk files, then Wise Disk Cleaner is much better than CCleaner (which I've never liked) in my opinion.

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
All trash. You don't need more than CCleaner, Defraggler and Revo Uninstaller, free versions,
Just stick with Windows built in defragmentation or O&O Defrag 24.

Defraggler is pretty outdated:

Unbenannt.PNG

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.