Why no one prefers Norton ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arpith

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2014
Hi..we know how old norton products are. and do use very good technologies. But in this forum no one seems to recommend it for a normal user? why is it so?
As far as I know they have very low system impact as compared to its older products.
Dont they have good detection rate? or do they have any other problem?

Reactions: MalwareT

Arpith

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2014
I am not using Norton, but I will not recommend users which use it to leave it. It's a good product and I respect them...
We can speak whatever we want but Symantec is one of the greatest security companies in the world.

True but I have went through many threads in this forum and everybody gave bad mouth about Norton. All of sudden an old company cannot become a bad company. So I was just wonder what's the problem with their product.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Sooner or later everything is simple as this :

Bad habits = Infection (Sooner or later)
Bad habits + Any Antivirus = Infection (maybe a little later :) )

So by simple calculations we can deduce that no AV can protect you if you cannot protect yourself in the first place.
Norton at the first (back in 2002-2003.) was very slow and buggy, then they improved their performance but some scandals were actual about that Norton makes viruses and only Norton can detect them, lot of things happened, was it true or not.

Norton has no ultra detection rates but there are other features that can protect the user beyond the virus definitions.
It's a good product overall.
In my opinion there are better ones but it's just individual preference.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Hi..we know how old norton products are. and do use very good technologies. But in this forum no one seems to recommend it for a normal user? why is it so?
As far as I know they have very low system impact as compared to its older products.

I am a professional Symantec user and a industry partner (due to my work) and i can honestly say most of the people who have something bad to say about Symantec & Norton they base their opinions on old idea's.
The current line of Symantec products specially their end point packages are world class and are only being matched by Sophos.
For example the entire quote 500 company list does use Symantec as their end point solution.
Sophos on the other hand has a similar package which is on equal foot with Symantec and both leave the competition so far behind that you have to go back in time.
In regards to Symantec's other solutions they always have been a top brand and even while they did have some difficulties and in some cases got beaten by the competition it really does not matter if you install Norton 360, Eset Smart Security or Kaspersky IS these packages are so close matched and provide exactly the same level of protection while they might be different in performance and capabilities per specific module but across the whole package the end result is pretty much the same. You just cannot go wrong.
People are more concerned with memory usage and CPU usage when choosing their protection, but they fail to realize that all these major brand packages have one thing in common they will run faster and faster over time.
For example my Symantec End Point plus all the extra packages and modules takes less then 25mb to run a full scan.
While the day i installed it a scan took over 150mb and idle it did take around 50mb while now Symantec does take no more then 50mb for the most difficult task (If they happen)
Not recommending Norton is just like saying : Do not buy a Mercedes car go for a BMW while both cars are pretty much the same in everything.

kaljukass

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Why no one don't prefer any Norton product? So is much better to ask.
The answer would be very simple - they are such that no sane consumer does not need it.

Reactions: MalwareDetective

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
i use to have Norton long time long time ago and its
infected my old decktop did not Protecting my pc

Longtime ago? Well that explains.
Try the new Norton or Symantec products, they will blow you away how good they are.
Or take KAV, ESET and you are equally blown away.
I suggest you read my Mouse Click matters guide (See signature) it will explain so much that i am sure you will revert your opinion about Norton.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
i use to have Norton long time long time ago and its
infected my old decktop did not Protecting my pc
Was that your PC or Norton's PC?
I mean did Norton controlled your mouse clicks or it was you?
No offence, just read what I wrote above, in most cases we are fault for infections, not an AV...
Have a nice day :)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Norton is a good product but soon after they added the Community Watch then it became a false positive king.
It automatically deletes safe files, quarantines or blocks them. I found it to be hardly useable anymore, many of my customers had to move to another security product because they could not run a lot of their safe programs.
I don't know if they have fixed the issues with Community Watch before when I experimented with it, you could not disable it.
They even dropped out of all testing sites because they know they were likely to fail because of the false positive issues.
Another problem with Norton is the price, it costs more than other similar products.

The Community Watch gave Norton a very good detection rate but made it less user-friendly when having to deal with all of the false alerts.

Norton has had its ups and downs, they fixed the bloatware issues on 2009 version and it looked like they were headed to be a top security product once again, then came Community Watch its major downfall.

Enjoy!! :D

Dubseven

Level 14
Verified
Aug 12, 2013
Norton:

Vs

ESET:

[/TROLL OFF]
:cool:
personally, Norton is a good product with a good behavioral system. But, the customer support was not here when i wanted help and the product take so much time to start an unknown program.
Norton need to be more "commercial" and more on "support" to get more people on them software, like ESET and Avira.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.