Why no one prefers Norton ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
I never disliked Norton however recently i decided to give it another go and even tho i have less programs on my computer than the average user i disliked it very much that it came up with too much false flags. I think with their enormous userbase and funds they should not be so careless.

Question which Norton product did you have? Did you change anything within the config? Also how do you know for sure that Norton did came up with to many false flags? Just asking as i try to understand what went wrong.
The reason i say we have some computers recently installed with Norton 360 and the amount of popups was virtually zero and the FP count was very low.
So along the line something must have gone wrong and this is what i am trying to find out so if you can please provide some details in my private box and i am more then happy to take a look at it.

That said it almost like i am a Norton Fanboy, but trust me i am not all i got to say is: If it works for you then everyone is happy right?
Do not fix it if it aint broken :)

Cheers

Ulikedat

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Apr 20, 2014
Did not note the date and for all i know the fp's coulda been fixed in the meantime. How do i know it came up with fp's, well i did a scan see lol but i think you ment how i knew they were false positives ;) Well i am very aware of the programs i have on my pc and they all legit i assure thee. Don't remember the config either so take my experience with a grain of salt but im happy to try it again sometime.

Last edited:
Reactions: glasswitch
I

illumination

In all honesty, even back a few years ago, most customers PC's that were infected while running Norton, were either from letting the program expire, or ignoring the products warnings and clicking/allowing things they should not of, as well as unpatched systems.. Very few of them were strictly because Norton missed it.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
In all honesty, even back a few years ago, most customers PC's that were infected while running Norton, were either from letting the program expire, or ignoring the products warnings and clicking/allowing things they should not of, as well as unpatched systems.. Very few of them were strictly because Norton missed it.

That is very correct and this applied to Mcafee and other products as well.

glasswitch

Level 2
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Ok, I admit that I use Norton 360 and have done for three years, shock horror! Whilst I would not touch the old Norton with a barge pole - I am extra pleased with Norton 360 multi device, so there! I await a barrage of comments saying I am not of sound mind - but I am!

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Ok, I admit that I use Norton 360 and have done for three years, shock horror! Whilst I would not touch the old Norton with a barge pole - I am extra pleased with Norton 360 multi device, so there! I await a barrage of comments saying I am not of sound mind - but I am!

No comment from my side buddy. As i said if it works for you then great if not? enough other vendors who might suit your needs.

Arpith

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2014
Norton might be bad at on demand scanning..but if you run that file it will definitely catch it on its behavior.

zeusc4

Level 4
Verified
Feb 2, 2013
I'll prefer Norton, If i have a KEY :p

actually i'm asking a Norton IS key for me. i like to use Norton IS

vmserv

Level 2
Verified
Apr 18, 2014
For me, I have used Symantec and Norton products for several years before switching to Kaspersky. Based on my experience with both Symantec and Norton products, their endpoint solutions are much more refined.

Symantec Endpoint Protection is a solid product if you wish to protect workstations and/or servers. Install was seamless and quick. I liked the option of allowing to use an Un-Managed Client as it allowed for flexibility on some systems. Otherwise, I would have connected to my main server via a Managed Client setup. The protection components work as expected and behaviour protection was good. A combination of both SONAR and Bloodhound blocked 0-day exploits. The bloodhound component was most efficient as it recognized html, pdf, doc and vulnerabilities and blocked the exploit from being successful. The on-demand scan was good as most threats was detected. Once detected, a full report will be shown and provides detailed logs. (Threat information, modifications etc). Another excellent aspect was the custom updater. Rapid-Release definitions for Endpoint was great as it boosted detections and provided a more thorough removal. Support was excellent since there was a local office within my region. I don't really have any negative things to say about the Endpoint product.

The Norton product was in the middle for me (so-so).I have never used Norton Anti-Virus but only IS and 360. The 360 only provided extra functions such as backup and tuneup that may be useful for some users. Norton IS had the essential security suite features. I have mainly used Norton Internet Security and was never fond of the UI. The UI is normally a bit messy and difficult to navigate. I actually had to read tutorials in order to know how to locate some areas. The SONAR and real-time protection was similar to the endpoint solution except it seems to weaker. Only the download insight detected most of files but I guess this is one of the main protection components. A negative aspect about the download insight is that is can mark new or recent files as 'NOT SAFE' and will be deleted. Te on-demand scan was terrible when tested from malware packs and active malware in the system. Most of the time, repeating the scan would find more malware. Only the real-time/SONAR really kicks in and identifies the malicious files. There was no in-depth analysis of the file except for the Norton Insight. The usage of the CPU/Memory and Disk read/write was heavier than Endpoint Protection.

Another positive aspect to note is Symantec's Security Response. If you have any suspicious files or false positives, you are able to submit it via a online form. I usually get a reply within a few days. Be aware that sending plenty of samples will take them weeks to process. It is better to send each file individually.

Overall, Symantec's Endpoint products are a great solution to businesses and even the end-user. I did not have large issues or problems. On the other hand, Norton products need improvements. The on-demand scanner produced poorer results than the Endpoint product and false positives happened. Sometimes, Norton can even crash (not sure why) but a reboot fixed the issue every time. To date, I still have a Norton 360 1 year 3 PC license but I will save that for the future!

In regards to the topic, I believe Norton is not as popular in this group of people. Maybe we do not go with mainstream anti-virus software or have a different thinking. Just doing a brief look, most members at MT have ESET and other free anti-virus software. I am sure most people that do not go on technological discussion forums will have Norton, Mcafee or no security software installed...

The reason I switched to Kaspersky was because of its better pricing and features. I haven't regretted as the functions are advance and detection rates are superb. The Kaspersky Security Network (Cloud Protection) was perfect and the recently released ZETA exploit protection was a hit. The only thing I would be concerned with was with the VirusLab team. I sometimes do not get a reply and user submitted samples for analysis was usually slow. Kaspersky also usually allows PUP/Adware but does let you know of its presence.

Thank you.

Last edited:

norton737

Level 1
Verified
Feb 19, 2013
I am using Norton from version 2004 till now! I can say that that old version / 2004-2008 / were slowing down my pc but I don't have any problem from version 2009 till now / version 21 /! I tried all of the other security products / BitDefender 2015 Beta, AVAST! 9 , Eset Smart Security 7 , Kaspersky 2015 Beta / but Norton is the faster than all! I know some people which hated Norton products but I have installed it on their's PC's and they don't have any problem with Norton! So if you don't believe - download the trial version! I am sure that you'll be amazed how fast it is working.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
In my opinion Norton products are a little bit overpriced.
If someone is planning to spend around € 50 (1 year of protection for 1 PC) for Norton AV then maybe is better to go and buy NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro for € 16 (lifetime) and spend the rest for beer :p

glasswitch

Level 2
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Agree totally with n.nvt It is personal choice but I use Norton 360 multi - would not touch the early Norton with a bargepole it WAS dreadful but- very different now, I have no problems with Norton 360. I simply don't know why this seems to be a constant subject here. Different folks have different ideas whatever works for you is good - I have nothing to complain about with it and have been using since 360 came out. You can't please all of the people all of the time and you can only please some of the people some of the time. "Such is Life" {Ned Kelly}

randj89

Level 4
Verified
May 7, 2014
I'll prefer Norton, If i have a KEY :p

actually i'm asking a Norton IS key for me. i like to use Norton IS

Hey actually I use norton internet security and I buy mine usually from a site www.buycheapsoftware.com at least here in the USA and I don't pay the whole $80 bucks instead I paid aprox. $13 for a 1 year license and that's what I do yearly. Never had any problem with the site and the keys are genuine.

Last edited:

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
I am using Norton from version 2004 till now! I can say that that old version / 2004-2008 / were slowing down my pc but I don't have any problem from version 2009 till now / version 21 /! I tried all of the other security products / BitDefender 2015 Beta, AVAST! 9 , Eset Smart Security 7 , Kaspersky 2015 Beta / but Norton is the faster than all! I know some people which hated Norton products but I have installed it on their's PC's and they don't have any problem with Norton! So if you don't believe - download the trial version! I am sure that you'll be amazed how fast it is working.
However in my experience, ESET NOD32 is faster and lighter than Norton Antivirus 21.

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
True but I have went through many threads in this forum and everybody gave bad mouth about Norton. All of sudden an old company cannot become a bad company. So I was just wonder what's the problem with their product.
I have tested Norton Antivirus 21 myself for three days... and encountered some bugs like having a double tray icon. And the scanning is painfully slow.

randj89

Level 4
Verified
May 7, 2014
I have tested Norton Antivirus 21 myself for three days... and encountered some bugs like having a double tray icon. And the scanning is painfully slow.

It happened to me once too, but hey I still use it! It's really harsh to judge a product just with 3 days of testing. Even Eset, Bitdefender, Kaspersky and other suites has been buggy once and they get fixed later. I bought Kaspersky IS last year and it was so slow because I got the very first version of it launch.... They fixed all that later. But you should know that products like kaspersky, bitdefender and norton run better with time... They have technologies that reduce time scanning identifying files that can be trusted and getting adapted to your system. (all of their scanning systems tend to be painfully slow during the first times; perhaps not after a while)

As for the scanning being slow hmmmm there are a couples of factors.... maybe you haven't run the norton insight and that could be influenced by fragmentation or other system misconfigurations or maybe the hdd being slow on rpm's over other things. Norton Insight scans all your computer files to detect which ones are trusted and which ones are not.... After this it will skip all the trusted ones. I'm running NIS 2014 with Malwarebytes Premium realtime, I'm running zemana antilogger, EMET 4.1 Update 1, and malwarebytes anti exploit and tuneup utilities.... ALL IN REAL TIME. Everything is running smooth plus the scans with norton are blazing fast at least with my computer.

PD. Even for the companies that test AV programs... They do months of testing to deliver results. THAT'S PARTICULARLY OBVIOUS!

BigWrench

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
I have been using it on 5 pc's for as long as I can remember. I'm thinking 1999. It has become a lot better. As most AV's have. I mainly use 360 for the "bloatware" that people talk about. The tune up, the online storage, and so forth. I have never been infected at all. My 2 teenage daughters, my wife, and my laptop and desktop all use it. No issues. As for the price for Norton being high, I have to disagree. I just picked up a 5 device key/1 year for Norton 360 premier, that's what we've been using, for a paltry $27.50. Do the math.....yup, $5.50 per seat per year. Now, what's 25 GB of online storage worth per year? As far as the tune up, I really don't pay any attention to that. It works when the pc is idle. As far as ram usage, I believe all told it sits (all processes) at 18-23 mb in the background. Truthfully, I prefer Norton! ;)

My mistake. We have 50 GB of storage, of which we have collectively used 38 GB.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.