Not open for further replies.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I'm not sure about any current bugs, but I do know that I haven't found any malware for the past year or so that bypasses Comodo. Does that make me a fan girl or just someone who has formed a positive opinion after extensive testing?

Hm, I think being someone who has formed a positive opinion after extensive testing transformed you into an Uber Fan Girl, kind of like Spiderman :oops:..oops! o_OErr, I mean Spiderwoman!:D

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Well I have many things to write and also many answers to the points put up.. But it wouldn't be fruitful or any things... So better live in your world where you don't want to see good things and just be a critic... What you get after you pay a big bunch, I get for free indeed (CIS)... Offers protection with my pc not being infected for about 4+ yrs now with Comodo...

Yes its best not to say anything about the subject as most of us are done talking about it.
We covered every fact, myth and other things about the subject so your words really do not add anything specially if you take your previous post into account. (And please do not take this personal as it was not intended to be)

That said listen if you are happy with CIS then by all means stick with it, because as I said before its better then nothing.
But regardless of your own experience and knowhow about the products you are using, it would be wise to do a forum search and see what has been written about Comodo in both a good way and a bad way by members, staff and professionals.
Then you will see that the mentioned critical comments are not baseless.

In regards to your statement about not being infected by anything for the past 4 years, you need to realize that Comodo never did have great detection and never did have great removal and even tho they offer a minimal baseline protection overall they do not have the wide spectrum of dedicated tools compared to other vendors who over more well-rounded tested and proven products.
So the odds that you have been infected but just did not notice are much higher then you probably know. This is not because I say so but this is common sense. On top of that your internet behavior, your computer practices, skills and knowledge as well the condition of your pc, network, hardware and software will determine for a VERY large part if any product is going to protect you.

If you have questions, doubts or comments about it then I suggest you read some of the guides I personally wrote, or the many guides by others.
For your reference I will add some links here in this post so you can review them and I do not ask you to agree with me a 100% but if you understand where I am coming from then you quickly realize that this topic was never intended to flame Comodo for their product, but that's its more pointing out the flaws and errors made by those who basically destroy a great product on paper.
Because as I said before I do not like Comodo, I would never use it BUT I cannot deny the fact that some of their tools as a concept are really promising. But due to their own lack their latest products are just garbage from a industry and end user point of view.

1: Your Mouse click matters (Is a sticky and approved & validated by staff)
2: Anti-malware myths & facts (Is a sticky and approved & validated by staff)
3: Basic Computer Security Essentials (General good advise)

So take some time read the guides and perhaps you might learn a thing or two.

And if for whatever reason you still run into trouble or you have questions or comments then by all means post a topic and ask anyone of us, or even drop me a pm and we will be more then happy to help you out.
That said please understand that we are not after Comodo with the aim to destroy them, but fact is that lots of their claims and promises are falling to pieces. And I am sure that you do read reviews and test reports but do take into account that testing results are just snapshots and do not represent the real world and how true computer security works, in regards to millions of reviews about products they are good info and in most cases valid info but again its based upon the perfect situation as most of the testing computers are configured in the way it SHOULD be done. And most home users do not have a perfect configured OS and PC (Basic computer practice and do/don'ts)

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards
N.Nvt

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I sure did miss a lot of the action. Shouldn't have went on a mountain hike yesterday.

My friends n.nvt, Littlebits and Umbra have said it all and I don't wanna repeat what they told you guys but my point, all software has bugs and everything is just a matter of preference.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
I sure did miss a lot of the action. Shouldn't have went on a mountain hike yesterday.

My friends n.nvt, Littlebits and Umbra have said it all and I don't wanna repeat what they told you guys but my point, all software has bugs and everything is just a matter of preference.

So true.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Fanboys are the pests in the internet, they're so narrow-minded and blinded that they can't see the ugly reality. I do try my best to steer clear out of their way as they can get really rowdy. Comodo isn't bad per se, but it's really not that "polished" enough like the real players out there. You really can't blame them for offering a free product which is a good act in my view but they should've at least made it to be on par with the major products.

LAGOTA

Feb 3, 2014
the biggest bugs & flaws & weakness of comodo internet security premium free latest version 7 are as follows :
1) the web & url filtering & antiphising component in comodo v7 series of products is just worthless & pathetic currently because of the very very weak web filtering & antiphising database & comodo currently doesn't gives any hourly & regular updates to the web filtering component to make it really better & good enough.
2) the detection capability of the antivirus engine of comodo has improved a lot better than earlier but the proper & complete removal capability of threats & malwares & stubborn & complex rootkits & worms & keyloggers & bots & trojans & spywares & others & any of their remainants & traces needs to be improved hugely which means the removal capability & removal power of the antivirus & antimalware & antispyware & antirootkit engine of comodo needs to be improved hugely than what it currently is.

the above two points & issues are currently the biggest & topmost security issues that the developers & security experts & programmers of comodo needs to resolve & fix as quickly as possible.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Haven't tried the new version yet so I can't say anything about it but from what you're saying, a lot of fixing and polishing needs to be done right away.

Reactions: Littlebits

LAGOTA

Feb 3, 2014
Haven't tried the new version yet so I can't say anything about it but from what you're saying, a lot of fixing and polishing needs to be done right away.

yaa i have installed & tested the new version of comodo internet security premium 7 stable version & the web filtering & antiphising component of comodo was just pathetic & horrible & failed in blocking almost all malicious & exploit based & phising websites & url's & the antivirus failed in the proper & complete removal of a huge number of threats & malwares & rootkits & spywares & bots & worms & keyloggers & adwares as a result of which important system files & registry items got corrupted after the test & i have to properly remove all the malware traces using malwarebytes antimalware & hitman pro & kaspersky tdss killer & kaspersky rescue cd to bring the system back in proper working condition again

musings4

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 17, 2014
It's been an on and off process for me as it pertains to CIS. Started using it since version 5 til their latest and the major grips I had with it are as follows:
  • File Submission failures - it worked fine during the RC stage of Version 7 but right now it back to its shenanigans again on the final release.
  • Classifying trusted files as unrecognized - files such AMD files when ratings scan isn't initialized are automatically sandboxed which kind of irks me.
There are other issues (redundant DNS Server, inadequate Web filter) that I wished the developers took more time to strengthen those components. Even with these issues, others components on CIS are really good (firewall - when set to Custom Ruleset, BB, HIPS), it light on resources and the irony of this post is that I'm using it right now as I wait for Emsisoft Internet Security 9 :oops:! But I may go back to ESET at any moment from now:D.

Reactions: Lailson

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I removed it an hour ago, as it caused internet connection problems. I had tweaked it but it does not matter, it's supposed to work either way. Also, after removing via control panel, I used the latest uninstall tool from comodo to remove traces in safe mode, and it broke windows defender so I did system restore.
Enough!

Reactions: Littlebits

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
My friends use comodo and they always talk about how V3 and V4 was Da bomb then

I used Comodo Firewall starting with 1.0 beta to the final release of v.2. I did not like v.3 because it got too aggressive blocking too many safe processes and required too much tweaking to allow safe processes. Back when I used Comodo Firewall it was the best protection you could get for Windows XP (before SP3), that is when Windows Firewall sucked, not near as many secure stable browser options as today. You had to use IE which was insecure to view some websites because they would not load correctly in other browsers. At the time, IE was very vulnerable to drive bye downloads that could install just by visiting any infected website (no user action was required to get infected). Malware back then was more dangerous and destructive than malware is today. Home user systems also got hacked often, spyware was a major problem and was not detected by AV's. That is how Comodo gained its popularity with users, it could block these infections when most other products failed. Back then Comodo did not bundled any bloatware, adware, toolbars or junk with their product and their forum was a very friendly environment to socialize.

As most can see now the changes went to bad for Comodo (the forum full of cyberbully fanboys, adding bloatware and junk adware, adding aggressive protection features and other features which are no longer needed for modern Windows to their products, bugs are more present in current versions compared back to when Comodo was still in 1.0 beta, user data collecting with no opt-outs with unclear privacy policy). Computer security got much better with improvements to Windows OS and more secure browsers and browser security add-ons are now available which can block most of these older infection methods. Comodo is still trying to collect off of its past popularity back when you could get infected just by visiting an infected website and Windows didn't have security features to protect it.

It really makes me sad to have to state the facts but they are true, just ask any older member here and they can tell you how it used to be. I'm not trying to convince anyone to not use Comodo products, if you are happy with them then that is your right to use them as you please. But at the same time I would not recommend their products to anyone looking for a security setup. I believe it would be more simple just to teach users how to safely download files, use secure browser and Windows default security features than to have to continuously configure and tweak a security product.

Enjoy!! :D

S

starchild76

Thanks littlebits for your extensive and insightfull answer ;)
If have used comodo product on and of ( bo clean - time machine ) and the firewall and security suite since version 3. Its a shame to see , that cis still gives me a lot of false positives on apps and programs that I have reported many , many times as being safe. although v7 runs very smooth on windows 8.1 I am not using it anymore on my machine. prefer the windows native setup , because of its seemingly intergration of the operating system without the bugs , hassles and bloat :)

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
The bad sides of COMODO:
I tried almost all their products are they are NEVER bug free (e.g. I use Dragon and at version 29 or 30 I couldn't print - cannot they check it before release?). And the "bug rate" of COMODO products is considerably higher than that of other companies in the industry. Though I never got into trouble of these bugs.

The good sides of COMODO:
Inspite of its bugs CIS really seems to be close to bulletproof.

The bottom line:
You can use COMODO products if you can tolerate their bugs.

Last edited:
I

illumination

I used Comodo Firewall starting with 1.0 beta to the final release of v.2. I did not like v.3 because it got too aggressive blocking too many safe processes and required too much tweaking to allow safe processes. Back when I used Comodo Firewall it was the best protection you could get for Windows XP (before SP3), that is when Windows Firewall sucked, not near as many secure stable browser options as today. You had to use IE which was insecure to view some websites because they would not load correctly in other browsers. At the time, IE was very vulnerable to drive bye downloads that could install just by visiting any infected website (no user action was required to get infected). Malware back then was more dangerous and destructive than malware is today. Home user systems also got hacked often, spyware was a major problem and was not detected by AV's. That is how Comodo gained its popularity with users, it could block these infections when most other products failed. Back then Comodo did not bundled any bloatware, adware, toolbars or junk with their product and their forum was a very friendly environment to socialize.

As most can see now the changes went to bad for Comodo (the forum full of cyberbully fanboys, adding bloatware and junk adware, adding aggressive protection features and other features which are no longer needed for modern Windows to their products, bugs are more present in current versions compared back to when Comodo was still in 1.0 beta, user data collecting with no opt-outs with unclear privacy policy). Computer security got much better with improvements to Windows OS and more secure browsers and browser security add-ons are now available which can block most of these older infection methods. Comodo is still trying to collect off of its past popularity back when you could get infected just by visiting an infected website and Windows didn't have security features to protect it.

It really makes me sad to have to state the facts but they are true, just ask any older member here and they can tell you how it used to be. I'm not trying to convince anyone to not use Comodo products, if you are happy with them then that is your right to use them as you please. But at the same time I would not recommend their products to anyone looking for a security setup. I believe it would be more simple just to teach users how to safely download files, use secure browser and Windows default security features than to have to continuously configure and tweak a security product.

Enjoy!! :D

That is probably the most significant, elegant, description of where things lie now days as opposed to before.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
If i may add to this heated discussion.The only product of theirs i would definately steer clear of would be the comodo time machine.Its the only product of theirs ive personally had problems with.It destroyed my system completely.In time it maybe a good program,but at the moment its simply unsafe to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.