Status
Not open for further replies.

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
Well we have to admit, that accepting constructive criticism became a hindrance for Comodo.

So even though its powerful however the usability became the downfall on the other hand.

Comodo being huge company already, it must consider practicality and extending the usability to other levels of users.
They would better chose one product as the flagship and work on it. They start and drop many products what worsens their quality. They shouldn't be jack of all trades and the master of none.

D

Deleted member 2913

Comodo, VS, NVT, etc...

All provide solid protection But have their own usability prob for average users.

The reason I support VS for average users is its VAi. VAi ability to tell safe/unsafe...it may not be perfect but nothing is.

Time to time I shoot PM to VS Dev with queries. I asked him about VAi & his reply & my time to time little usability test with VAi match. I had posted his reply here in one of the threads.

In short, his reply was...
VAi works good with average users, popular, good, etc... software (VAi verdict Safe) with low FPs (all security program have FPs low/high, etc..., right)
VAi works good with expert users programs too But you may see "Suspicious verdict"...expert users can take care of the alerts, right?

Currently, I have app 50 installers, portables, etc... (mix of popular, mostly used, known, kinda unknown software)
When I test those software with VS, it works as VS Dev explanation of VAi.

Registry cleaners, DNS changers, System tweaker, etc... kinda software, I would not want those on my family system And VAi verdict Suspicious/Unsafe for those software good for average users And as mentioned above, experts can take care of those alerts.

IMHO, VAi is trained good for average users software compared to expert users software. Further VAi optimization, samples trained will enhance it. VAi 2 is coming in few weeks with improvements, optimization , etc...
Dev aim was to provide strong security with good usability. Few important suggestions by Wilders implemented in VS will enhance the usability further.

So VAi with ability to tell safe/unsafe, VT results is good And few suggestions implemented will enhance the usability And you can set VS on family, friends, etc... system.

I am waiting for the suggestions implementation & stable VS release And will pair it with Windows Defender on my family, etc... system...light, easy & solid protection.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
How much does Bit9 cost?
thanks. I assume it is not so appropriate for home users?

Targeted at Enterprises, so its an option for companies who rely on Endpoint protections.

I personally tested it and saw too much work to maintain. Rather use McAfee Endpoint, which I have full access and half of my windows machines in house hold are managed by McAfee Endpoint.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Comodo, VS, NVT, etc...

All provide solid protection But have their own usability prob for average users.

The reason I support VS for average users is its VAi. VAi ability to tell safe/unsafe...it may not be perfect but nothing is.

Time to time I shoot PM to VS Dev with queries. I asked him about VAi & his reply & my time to time little usability test with VAi match. I had posted his reply here in one of the threads.

In short, his reply was...
VAi works good with average users, popular, good, etc... software (VAi verdict Safe) with low FPs (all security program have FPs low/high, etc..., right)
VAi works good with expert users programs too But you may see "Suspicious verdict"...expert users can take care of the alerts, right?

Currently, I have app 50 installers, portables, etc... (mix of popular, mostly used, known, kinda unknown software)
When I test those software with VS, it works as VS Dev explanation of VAi.

Registry cleaners, DNS changers, System tweaker, etc... kinda software, I would not want those on my family system And VAi verdict Suspicious/Unsafe for those software good for average users And as mentioned above, experts can take care of those alerts.

IMHO, VAi is trained good for average users software compared to expert users software. Further VAi optimization, samples trained will enhance it. VAi 2 is coming in few weeks with improvements, optimization , etc...
Dev aim was to provide strong security with good usability. Few important suggestions by Wilders implemented in VS will enhance the usability further.

So VAi with ability to tell safe/unsafe, VT results is good And few suggestions implemented will enhance the usability And you can set VS on family, friends, etc... system.

I am waiting for the suggestions implementation & stable VS release And will pair it with Windows Defender on my family, etc... system...light, easy & solid protection.
agree completely :cool:
for me, VS is the best because of usability and security aspects. It has the balance
I put VS in autopilot mode and it's exactly set-n-forget. VT and Ai help me to decide if the app is malicious or not
comodo is quite unpredictable and I don't like comodo due to the way they treat bug reporters and how they praise their products but not fixing persistent bugs

Last edited:

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
and if you enable it, what happens? It behaves like the Internet Security config?
If I remember right, Internet Security applies Autosandbox only to downloads and maybe a couple other locations, but will ignore your program folder and Windows folder. Less protection, but less headache.

EDIT: In the Internet Security config, you should be able to safely delete the trusted vendors list, and also turn off the cloud lookup, and it won't bork your system.

COMODO experts: please correct if this is wrong

Somewhere between. Not correct, nor incorrect. What you see is just unfinished work with version 8. Their design is rather new (file tracking and all the other things). Everyone seems to praise command line monitoring and anti-executable here but no one seems to mention that command line analysis tends to fail and CIS can be configured in any possible way that you may want while being completely free compared to its competitors.
I see a misconception where people tend to compare products without even knowing what their doing. You can't compare it with anti-executable. Use both as anti-executable and then compare it.

agree completely :cool:
for me, VS is the best because of usability and security aspects. It has the balance
I put VS in autopilot mode and it's exactly set-n-forget. VT and Ai help me to decide if the app is malicious or not
comodo is quite unpredictable and I don't like comodo due to the way they treat bug reporters and how they praise their products but not fixing persistent bugs

Do not take it the wrong way but.. how many bugs did you report? I said it once and I say it again: everything I have reported was fixed. IMHO some are not even bugs if you look at their response. I am not aware of such a big player in this industry that keeps a public track of issues and suggestions if they are reported. Just try to submit a vulnerability and make it publicly available on their website-- will they show it off? Comodo does and I appreciate that.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
They aren't serious and they sure as hell can't stand any criticism, even constructive one. Their Valkyrie is an absolute mess and they keep on promising how awesome it'll be and they just never deliver it. It's been what, 1 year almost and the thing still takes gazillion weeks to process few files. Or how their latest CIS 10 has been promised for more than a year and all they managed was 1 beta version half a year ago that hardly has anything new. That shopping mode and new GUI. The rest is the same as v8. And it still has all the stupid problems and nothing we've been complaining for ages has been fixed. Start questioning their competence in polite way based on these facts and be assured you'll get banned very fast. It's beyond absurd.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
They aren't serious and they sure as hell can't stand any criticism, even constructive one. Their Valkyrie is an absolute mess and they keep on promising how awesome it'll be and they just never deliver it. It's been what, 1 year almost and the thing still takes gazillion weeks to process few files. Or how their latest CIS 10 has been promised for more than a year and all they managed was 1 beta version half a year ago that hardly has anything new. That shopping mode and new GUI. The rest is the same as v8. And it still has all the stupid problems and nothing we've been complaining for ages has been fixed. Start questioning their competence in polite way based on these facts and be assured you'll get banned very fast. It's beyond absurd.
It is what it is. Some people can get it to do what they want, some can't. forget about Valkyrie and AV, that's not what COMODO was born for anyway.

Reactions: XIII
W

Wave

I agree with you, the Comodo forums are a total joke IMO - they will just talk about how the sandbox is there and ignore everything else. The special area for Melih himself is even more humorous, where he mainly talks about how Comodo is the best.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
They also never improved their stupendously long traditional whitelisting they have in CIS. Sorry if I'm not in the mood for spending half a day answering stupid HIPS questions whether to allow this or that.
delete the whitelist (but add back microsoft and a few other essentials), turn off cloud lookup, and add your whole program folder to trusted list. You will have quiet and safety.

Reactions: AtlBo and Solarlynx

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
At that point, why use Comodo? There are other "dumb" HIPS tools that do just that and don't have incompetent people behind the code...
hey, use whatever you works for you. I just uninstalled Spyshelter because I was having too many conflicts, and before that, I gave up on NoVirusThanks ERP, because I kept getting command line prompts. And VoodooShield also gave me headaches, as did Kaspersky TAM. Basically, nothing is perfect in this world...

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
That shopping mode and new GUI. The rest is the same as v8. And it still has all the stupid problems
There is no reason to have something new when the old one can protect u better than almost all the other vendors when u have it right configured. and i had never problems with comodo. maybe im just lucky or other have just bad luck with there systems. but i had not 1 bug and i played with it since version 5. If u do a little work and set it the way u want it, u will not get any annoying popups for things on your pc.

Reactions: AtlBo and Solarlynx

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
There is no reason to have something new when the old one can protect u better than almost all the other vendors when u have it right configured. and i had never problems with comodo. maybe im just lucky or other have just bad luck with there systems. but i had not 1 bug and i played with it since version 5. If u do a little work and set it the way u want it, u will not get any annoying popups for things on your pc.
I have had my fair share of bugs and probs, but COMODO offers enough to make it worth the effort. You can sandbox your browser, you get robust HIPS and firewall, and it is highly customizable. And it's free.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Just hope you never ever have to deal with their incompetent fans and staff on Comodo forums. You'll soon realize why I said that. They live in this bubble where any kind of (even constructive!) criticism is strictly forbidden and permaban worthy. The app has no bugs and it's flawless and perfect despite the fact they always seem to fix 300+ bugs on every release. They don't seem to listen to ideas from anyone else than the most hardcore fanboys who stick around there. And their moronic obsession with some ridiculously stupid "bug report formattings" that make no sense at all will drive you beyond insane. The app is kinda good, but their constant stupid self bragging is just dumb as hell and does exactly nothing to quality. In fact it does the opposite. If you think you're constantly the best or the most flawless, you kinda miss that competition is passing you by left and right...

I've learned that a decade ago with avast!. I used to be a huge fan(boy) defending it on all ends. But then I realized, criticism is the only thing that will actually make it better. Now I'm still a huge fan of avast!, but I just tell it how things are. I don't really care if that somehow hurts someone's feelings somehow, in the end they'll thank me for it. And things do get better and improve if you complain over things and point them out. Just not with Comodo. Their absolute ignorance is just mind blowing. It's why I dumped all Comodo products from my security software lists. I can't recommend products developed by such childish people to anyone. I gave them a try 3 times and they banned me all 3 times from forums for expressing concerns or complaining over broken things. Enough is enough.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Just hope you never ever have to deal with their incompetent fans and staff on Comodo forums. You'll soon realize why I said that. They live in this bubble where any kind of (even constructive!) criticism is strictly forbidden and permaban worthy. The app has no bugs and it's flawless and perfect despite the fact they always seem to fix 300+ bugs on every release. They don't seem to listen to ideas from anyone else than the most hardcore fanboys who stick around there. And their moronic obsession with some ridiculously stupid "bug report formattings" that make no sense at all will drive you beyond insane. The app is kinda good, but their constant stupid self bragging is just dumb as hell and does exactly nothing to quality. In fact it does the opposite. If you think you're constantly the best or the most flawless, you kinda miss that competition is passing you by left and right...

I've learned that a decade ago with avast!. I used to be a huge fan(boy) defending it on all ends. But then I realized, criticism is the only thing that will actually make it better. Now I'm still a huge fan of avast!, but I just tell it how things are. I don't really care if that somehow hurts someone's feelings somehow, in the end they'll thank me for it. And things do get better and improve if you complain over things and point them out. Just not with Comodo. Their absolute ignorance is just mind blowing. It's why I dumped all Comodo products from my security software lists. I can't recommend products developed by such childish people to anyone. I gave them a try 3 times and they banned me all 3 times from forums for expressing concerns or complaining over broken things. Enough is enough.
Well said. The main problem of Comodo is not bugs but the toxic forums they have. That stops them from improving even though they have a solid base protection.
Btw i think i saw you on Avast forums posting when i was trying to figure out why cybercapture sucked and didn't check most things.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
the folks here at MalwareTips know a lot about COMODO, and are usually willing to try and help, without the hype and attitude you might find in other places.

Nevertheless, I have gotten some valuable help and info from COMODO forums, so I personally can't write them off.

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
Well, good old @RejzoR returns. :)
The same crusade against Comodo. :D
Their forums are not so fanboyish actually. Sometimes, but not always, you may get good help there. Like everywhere. And constructive criticism they sometimes accept, but I admit, they usually just ignore it. Unless you go too far with scolding.

Actually I feel a bit frustrated about Comodo as well. Its sandbox is rather slow on my PC. Though HIPS is as usually superb.

Last edited:

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Well said. The main problem of Comodo is not bugs but the toxic forums they have. That stops them from improving even though they have a solid base protection.
Btw i think i saw you on Avast forums posting when i was trying to figure out why cybercapture sucked and didn't check most things.

Which is why we also complain over CyberCapture. Idea is brilliant, but results aren't so much. If you complain and make them aware it's far rm perfect, they'll invest more time improving it, actually making it great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.