Guide | How To Why You Should Not Turn off UAC

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Posted by 7Tutorials, HERE.

Summary of article:
  • What is UAC and How does it work?
  • What changes require administrative privileges in Windows?
  • What is different between UAC levels in Windows?
  • Should I disabled UAC when I install applications?
  • Where to find it?
h9EEYhv.png

(Image taken from Source)

Which Changes Require Administrative Privileges in Windows?

There are many changes which require administrative privileges and, depending on how UAC is configured, they can cause an UAC prompt to show up and ask for permission. These are the following:
  • Running an application as administrator
  • Changes to system-wide settings or to files in the Windows or Program Files folders
  • Installing and uninstalling drivers & applications
  • Installing ActiveX controls
  • Changing settings to the Windows Firewall
  • Changing UAC settings
  • Configuring Windows Update
  • Adding or removing user accounts
  • Changing a user’s account type
  • Configuring Parental Controls or Family Safety
  • Running Task Scheduler
  • Restoring backed-up system files
  • Viewing or changing another user’s folders and files
  • Changing the system date and time
Originally posted by 7Tutorials.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Sorry to bump this thread, but along with using Windows 8.1 in VM. I noticed a few things when modifying the default UAC settings.

If you set to Always Notify -the highest settings- you cannot use Refresh or Reset, which is part of the Windows Recovery.
If you turn off UAC -disabled- you cannot use the Windows Store.

That's why I still recommend using the Default UAC settings, it's optimised for maximum compatibility for all users. Of course some basic common sense is required when using a PC connected to the Internet.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Sorry to bump this thread, but along with using Windows 8.1 in VM. I noticed a few things when modifying the default UAC settings.

If you set to Always Notify -the highest settings- you cannot use Refresh or Reset, which is part of the Windows Recovery.
If you turn off UAC -disabled- you cannot use the Windows Store.

That's why I still recommend using the Default UAC settings, it's optimised for maximum compatibility for all users. Of course some basic common sense is required when using a PC connected to the Internet.
If have had problems before on Windows 7 with System Restore not being able to restore system with UAC set on "Always notify".

Therefore default would be the best because "Always notify" may block other Windows features.

On Windows 8 default is a must if you want everything to work right.

Enjoy!! :D

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Mine is set on the default level and it's good enough for me. I still can't belive that there's ... "idiots" (or ignorant people) that tells other to disable the UAC because it will improve their system performance. People like that shouldn't even use Windows and deserves to be infected if they ever download and execute a malware, damn.

Also, if you want something more agressive than the "Always Notify" UAC of Windows, you can use Comodo Firewall. This HIPS ...

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Verified
May 22, 2017
The question isn't "why you shouldn't turn off UAC " or "Why you should turn it to Max" but "Why the ******* hell MS did listen those noob whiners and implemented the weak default crappy level !!!!!"
It's amazing how users complain of having to elevate an application once in awhile but have no issues running security that constantly prompts for user input or needed allowances :rolleyes: UAC should be set at Max as default and if those unwilling to use it as such, can always toggle it how they want it.

The benefits of UAC far outweigh any inconveniences

UAC is native Windows security dependent upon one's point of view

The morass of ongoing confusion about UAC is Microsoft's fault; they have stated both "It is a security boundary" and "It is not a security boundary"

Whatever UAC's intent, it's pretty common sense as to its net affect for anyone who pays attention to it

The only ones that seem to vociferously complain about UAC are those users that are constantly doing stuff on their systems that require elevated privileges

Typical users have no idea what UAC is - let alone its benefits

Orion

Level 2
Verified
Apr 8, 2016
While There are bypasses for UAC and social engineering is a way to trick users into saying yes to UAC prompts.Turning it off lowers your chances of clicking No if there is any.

Some users do click No when they see unknown publisher and "wants to gain access to your computer".

Reactions: ravi prakash saini

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.