Why You Should Not Turn off UAC

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Guides' started by Spawn, Feb 24, 2014.

Do you use UAC in Windows?

1. Yes

90 vote(s)
  2. No

15 vote(s)
  3. No, still on Windows 3.1 or XP.

1 vote(s)
  1. carsten ibsen

carsten ibsen Level 21

Sep 18, 2016
    Windows 10
    Hello, I have UAC on Max, I think it is a very handy service(y)
    Weebarra and frogboy like this.
  2. RoboMan

RoboMan Level 18
    Content Creator AV Tester

Jun 24, 2016
    Windows 10
    My very own UAC is disabled since some weeks ago due to high incompatibility with my system. Reasons are unknown, but i posted a few threads about it. I feel no worries since therefore i installed ESET Internet Security v10 and HIPS warns me about every single movement in my system and allows me to block it. Set in interactive mode, i get alerts for everything, even for modying Windows things such as date and time.
  3. Local Host

Local Host Level 2

Sep 26, 2017
    Network Engineer
    Windows 10
    #43 Local Host, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    Considering I'm far from an inexperienced user I see no reason to use UAC at MAX and affect my computer performance, and yes UAC affects my computer performance at anything beyond security level 1 (in fact it affected performance at anything beyond level 1 on all the computers I tested, not noticeable on all).

People need to be less paranoid and adjust recommendations to each level of knowledge, if I said I had no Anti-Virus program I would probably be crucified but I went for over 10y without any sort of security Software and was never infected once due to my experience and knowledge alone.

Although UAC is useful, using it at security level 3 is just bothersome for experienced users.

This? Need Help - Graphical issues: possible driver incompatibility?
    mlnevese, Weebarra and plat1098 like this.
  • About Us

Our community has been around since 2010, and we pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds about security and technology . We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.
  • Need Malware Removal Help?

If you're being redirected from a site you’re trying to visit, seeing constant pop-up ads, unwanted toolbars or strange search results, your computer may be infected with malware. We offer free malware removal assistance to our members in the Malware Removal Assistance forum.
  • Quick Tip

Without meaning to, you may click a link that installs malware on your computer. To keep your computer safe, only click links and downloads from sites that you trust. Don’t open any unknown file types, or download programs from pop-ups that appear in your browser.