Guide | How To Why You Should Not Turn off UAC

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
My very own UAC is disabled since some weeks ago due to high incompatibility with my system. Reasons are unknown, but i posted a few threads about it. I feel no worries since therefore i installed ESET Internet Security v10 and HIPS warns me about every single movement in my system and allows me to block it. Set in interactive mode, i get alerts for everything, even for modying Windows things such as date and time.

L

Local Host

Nothing unless "at Max" is safe with UAC, users have to decide between convenience or security, but most of all:.
1- Use SUA instead of Admin account so some apps won't ask for elevation all the time.
2- Don't use apps requiring elevation 30 times a day, unless your job requires it. If the case, get used to UAC's prompts.

I use SUA + UAC at Max and i enforce password/PIN prompts in alll accounts even admin one; i have elevation requests maximum one or two times a day, because i dont spend my time using tools doing admin tasks.
Considering I'm far from an inexperienced user I see no reason to use UAC at MAX and affect my computer performance, and yes UAC affects my computer performance at anything beyond security level 1 (in fact it affected performance at anything beyond level 1 on all the computers I tested, not noticeable on all).

People need to be less paranoid and adjust recommendations to each level of knowledge, if I said I had no Anti-Virus program I would probably be crucified but I went for over 10y without any sort of security Software and was never infected once due to my experience and knowledge alone.

Although UAC is useful, using it at security level 3 is just bothersome for experienced users.

My very own UAC is disabled since some weeks ago due to high incompatibility with my system. Reasons are unknown, but i posted a few threads about it. I feel no worries since therefore i installed ESET Internet Security v10 and HIPS warns me about every single movement in my system and allows me to block it. Set in interactive mode, i get alerts for everything, even for modying Windows things such as date and time.
This? Need Help - Graphical issues: possible driver incompatibility?

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.