WinAndLinuxTutorials's Config

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
It was more stable than the CP, especially for IE10 Metro, which used to crash a lot. Now with 8 tabs and everything is running smooth, but RAM is around 900MB for IE.

900Mb for ie :huh:
i will install chrome firefox on it :D

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
D-ONE said:
It was more stable than the CP, especially for IE10 Metro, which used to crash a lot. Now with 8 tabs and everything is running smooth, but RAM is around 900MB for IE.

900Mb of ie :huh:

That's because of the 8 tabs and with a youtube video open. :D

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
D-ONE said:

That's because of the 8 tabs and with a youtube video open. :D

You have shocked me at least you should had mention about 8 tabs.
When i have open 8 tabs in my life i don't remember :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
D-ONE said:
i will install chrome firefox on it

RAM usage on modern browsers, don't affect system performance.

Mind you, Chrome uses more RAM than IE, unless you're using a site that requires Flash Player.

Both IE and Chrome use multi-process architecture, so expect higher RAM usage the more tabs and extensions you have installed.

Both IE10 Metro and IE10 running. I have 3GB of RAM, Windows 8 uses between 40-50% with Chrome open.

PPDlz.png

P

Plexx

Earth, isnt Google Chrome App suppose to be the combine processes of the chrome on background? just being curious.

Haven't installed Windows 8 yet since I've been busy with other stuff.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I guess, but the new Task Manager looks like this in less detail.

hkUdy.png

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
MS is focusing on a simpler OS, I like it and not at the same time. Good that there are alternatives to Windows task manager, but it is okay for me.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
pcjunklist said:
Once somebody makes an application to get rid of the metro I will install WIN 8.

Have you played around with Windows 8? Basically Metro is the new Start Menu, the rest is almost the same, but with Hotspots in the corners of the screen.

Most of the time I'm using the Windows Desktops, search is particularly faster when searching in the Metro UI (Start).

I'm going to install Windows 8 on a VHD in Windows 8, I should think it's possible. There are a few guides on the Internet, so I can play around with software without affecting the main installation. I don't think VPC works in Windows 8.

Or you could just stick to Windows 7.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
D-ONE said:

900Mb for ie :huh:

Actually a myth before that higher the RAM usage for a browser is worse enough.

The reason why its consume a bit high is due on the browsing and since lots of processes where appeared in a multiple is that to avoid the crashes thus its equalizing the resources.

MrHacker

Apr 9, 2012
UAC Level: Default
Update checkers(s): None
i Would suggest you to use avast free Antivirus. windows defender is not so much good

You Should Also use MalwareBytes Anti-Malware as On Demand Scanner.

use firefox as browser it very fast.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't suppose you've used tried Windows Defender in Windows 8, or so to speak MSE rebranded.

It does provide a decent amount of protection, and with some knowledge about Internet threats, I'm sure the OP can avoid trouble with malware.

P

Plexx

Earth said:
I don't suppose you've used tried Windows Defender in Windows 8, or so to speak MSE rebranded.

It does provide a decent amount of protection, and with some knowledge about Internet threats, I'm sure the OP can avoid trouble with malware.

Earth, compared to Windows 7's Windows Defender, are there many improvements in the Windows 8 version?

I dont suppose there is a review somewhere here right?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@biozfear,

W8's Windows Defender is (what I call) a rebranded version of Microsoft Security Essentials.

There are differences between MSE and W8's WD, but I can't quote them for sure and remember WD in W8 is still not final.

Here's the About window from W8's WD:

About said:
Windows Defender Version: 4.0.8400.0
Antimalware Client Version: 4.0.8400.0
Engine Version: 1.1.8403.0
Antivirus definition: 1.127.1762.0
Antispyware definition: 1.127.1762.0

I've not seen any reviews, but the old WD is only Anti-Spyware protection.

P

Plexx

Cool, thanks Earth.

I really need to install Windows 8 and give it a test run, although at first glance Metro style aint that appealing. Wasnt windows phones using the same style? Maybe I am wrong.

Before I do that however, I still want to properly test the Panda Cloud AV beta and their IDS/Firewall components and some more malware test etc. I wonder what happens if internet is down and someone by mistake places a USB stick that is infected.

D

Deleted member 178

Biozfear said:
Before I do that however, I still want to properly test the Panda Cloud AV beta and their IDS/Firewall components and some more malware test etc. I wonder what happens if internet is down and someone by mistake places a USB stick that is infected.

PCAV has a local signature database, so you will still be protected but not for real zero-days ones.

P

Plexx

umbrapolaris said:
Biozfear said:

PCAV has a local signature database, so you will still be protected but not for real zero-days ones.

Havent realize it had a local signature database. I will explore the folders accordingly once I can.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.