Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
Which program are you talking about? :)

Talking about Avast, but don't use Revo Uninstaller.

Instead, use Avast's own Uninstall Utility (even if you don't have Avast currently installed you can use this to clean up any leftovers):
http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

WALT, which programs were you talking about that you said you frequently used?

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Earth said:
Use Avast's own Uninstall Utility (even if you don't have Avast currently installed you can use this to clean up any leftovers):
http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

WALT, which programs were you talking about that you said you frequently used?

Thanks for the utility.
It's Camtasia Studio that wasn't working properly.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
So you've disabled Windows SmartScreen?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its likely you are using the security features of Windows 8 since everything is improved. As WD is already a full blown AV, Smart Screen Filter both in IE and OS itself. A smart choice :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Emsisoft Mamutu, I don't see why but more people are getting paranoid for software they don't actually need.

If Windows SmartScreen can run without Windows Defender, I might consider using that only on my Spare PC with 512MB RAM.

Could you test that for me? Thanks. :D

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
I've installed Emsisoft Mamutu to see if it's compatible or not because no information was available on this website: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/en-US/CompatCenter/Home
Edit: I voted it as compatible.

Yes, Windows SmartScreen is not a part of Windows Defender. To prove that, I've took a screenshot showing that a unrecognized file was blocked from starting by Windows SmartScreen and Windows Defender is disabled. :)

NyVtI.jpg

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Windows Smartscreen for Windows 8 is better than the UAC itself. Cause for Smartscreen it can provide an information when that program is unknown and may harmful + for security reason it was blocked.

Unlike for UAC it needs a user interaction however the information could not guarantee if its a safe or not.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
How did you upgrade from Consumer Preview to Release Preview, did you need to Format/Install?

Correction: It's *Windows Defender, not Microsoft Security Essentials regardless of the name on Windows 7 and prior.

Myself, I am confident that WD and SS can protect me well, so no need for Malwarebytes or any other on-demand scanners. Same with Secunia PSI, I'm confident that MS will push Flash Player updates on time, leaving my OS secure as always.

Thanks. :D

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
I preferred a clean install.
I know about the name of Windows Defender, but some who have not tried it may think that it is the same Windows Defender in Windows 7.

I honestly don't know what's the use of MBAM on my system, and same for Secunia PSI. I will remove them. Anyway I added SpywareBlaster.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Hi,I have downloaded and installed Consumer Preview but was not impressed with it,how is Release Preview and would you suggest me/other to try it

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
It was more stable than the CP, especially for IE10 Metro, which used to crash a lot. Now with 8 tabs and everything is running smooth, but RAM is around 900MB for IE.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.