Advice Request Windows 10 Lite versions is safe?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Thiagoo

Level 3
May 10, 2021
If you want security and stability, never install a modified system.

And stuff like "Windows 10 Lite, Gamer Edition, For Gaming" is pure nonsense and you won't see any huge improvements, plus it can be extremely unstable because of the huge changes on the registry and in Windows files (most of these modified versions comes with illegal KMS activators, which breaks Windows entirely).

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Some lite versions of Windows 10, provide much better performance on low-end systems (just like Windows 8 does) than regular Windows 10 versions do. However, there are often issues such as Windows Update not working, or not being able to install .NET. As a result, I don't recommend using lite versions.

I've used many custom Windows ISOs over the years and have yet to encounter any that came with malware. But it is always a possibility.

If Windows 10 run too slowly, most likely Windows 8.1 will run much better. But support for it ends at the beginning of 2023.

Thiagoo

Level 3
May 10, 2021
You shouldn't use LTSC versions as a daily driver on home computers, especially if you do stuff like gaming.

Example: if Windows gets a feature update that improves performance with DirectX, you simply won't get it because LTSC systems don't need it. And for the less apps, an ATM don't need Cortana or Metro apps, it just doesn't make sense, this is why it's removed from LTSC (it's not getting feature updates for the same reason). Metro apps won't affect performance as they get suspended and consumes 0% of CPU and a absolutely small quantity of RAM, and there is literally no difference between Windows 10 editions like Pro and Home to LTSC in terms of performance (the difference is like 0,8%).

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
You shouldn't use LTSC versions as a daily driver on home computers, especially if you do stuff like gaming.

Example: if Windows gets a feature update that improves performance with DirectX, you simply won't get it because LTSC systems don't need it. And for the less apps, an ATM don't need Cortana or Metro apps, it just doesn't make sense, this is why it's removed from LTSC (it's not getting feature updates for the same reason). Metro apps won't affect performance as they get suspended and consumes 0% of CPU and a absolutely small quantity of RAM, and there is literally no difference between Windows 10 editions like Pro and Home to LTSC in terms of performance (the difference is like 0,8%).
Well, from a security standpoint, it is much better to use an official LTSC than a heavily registry tweaked unofficial Win10 ISO from an unknown modder which would include god knows what ...

Expecting feature updates to improve gaming performance is a lost cause, nothing beats raw power from CPU/GPU.
And you can still get GPU driver updates on an LTSC just fine.

Thiagoo

Level 3
May 10, 2021
Well, from a security standpoint, it is much better to use an official LTSC than a heavily registry tweaked unofficial Win10 ISO from an unknown modder which would include god knows what ...
True, but you should just use normal versions and avoid both LTSC and a tweaked 10 ISO. And most people end up installing activators on LTSC builds, which destroys security.

Expecting feature updates to improve gaming performance is a lost cause, nothing beats raw power from CPU/GPU.
Feature updates can improve performance, like DirectStorage (which is being ported from XBOX), but there is no magic solution for a huge improvement in performance except hardware. And as i stated above, there's no difference of performance from LTSC to common editions of Windows.

And you can still get GPU driver updates on an LTSC just fine.
You can, but note that they can not work as intended.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Just avoid LTSC. It miss security features from non-LTSC version as LTSC is for updates only but without adding new features.
For consumer LTSC doesn’t add any advantages

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
Just avoid LTSC. It miss security features from non-LTSC version as LTSC is for updates only but without adding new features.
For consumer LTSC doesn’t add any advantages
Let's agree to disagree here..

I have a couple of pc's that have old generation hardware and after 2025 they will not be able to run Windows 11.
For those two units, I will install LTSC Win10 as I do not intend to throw them in the garbage and keep them working just fine until 2029 with a security suite installed.
One cannot be upgraded (small factor business pc) and the other one would have a significant cost to replace motherboard + CPU.
I'd rather spend that money elsewhere until 2029.

Reactions: Venustus and plat

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
If you don't mind doing some research into Windows commands through PowerShell. You can create your own empty environment legally during- or post-installation with just one self written (PowerShell) script. During the installation enter Audit mode or post-installation run it from a (temp.) Admin account. In the case of the latter, entering a temporary admin account makes it the default modified environment for any accounts subsequently created thereafter (having run the script).

I personally have written the script to run to only remove apps adhere to the conditions of:
A. Non-removeable is set to false (internal tag in powershell commands)
B. IsFramwork also set to false.
Yes, windows also has non-removable tagged apps and services, meaning breakage equals reinstallation of the entire OS. And everything removed can be reinstalled through Microsoft store, in case functionality is needed or breakage has been accidentally applied.

You could, alternatively, use a GUI if you still have PowerShell ISE installed (it just needs to be installed as it won't be used directly). This is what I prefer to use, easier to double-check. Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Out-GridView -PassThru add | Remove-AppxPackage if you wish to remove apps using the same GUI. Like wise for provisioned applications and services Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -online | Out-GridView -PassThru and | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online

I personally don't trust any modified .ISO or image touched by a third-party. There is always a risk, yes even with MS certified images, but the tools used could have vulnerabilities and the "modders" may not even know it. Just to name one example. And another point to remember the "junk" removed is subjective to uses.

One man's junk, is another man's livelihood treasure.

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
You can create your own lite ISO using something like what was shown in this video:

I know one pretty trusted lite Windows creator who does a very good job at creating a lite build without breaking regular stuff but it's possible that installing new updates may create issues. The creator himself provides update links that he tested on his builds but doesn't do that often so you'll miss many security updates if you want to rely on his provided updates only. So overall it's not recommended.
The method shown in the video above is much safer than trusting an unknown lite build creator but even this can cause problems. So you'll have to try and test by yourself if you really badly need a lite edition.

L

Local Host

Let's agree to disagree here..

I have a couple of pc's that have old generation hardware and after 2025 they will not be able to run Windows 11.
For those two units, I will install LTSC Win10 as I do not intend to throw them in the garbage and keep them working just fine until 2029 with a security suite installed.
One cannot be upgraded (small factor business pc) and the other one would have a significant cost to replace motherboard + CPU.
I'd rather spend that money elsewhere until 2029.
Windows 10 LTSC is not going to be supported beyond 2025, only the IoT version.

For a gaming PC as already stated, is not a good idea to use Windows 10 LTSC, you wouldn't be able to play Microsoft games for starters, nor have access to specific DirectX12 APIs.

Not to mention the gaming optimization and settings that Windows 10 LTSC lacks, that version of Windows is for static devices, is more insecure and unstable than the normal Windows 10 Core.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
speed: tweaked LTSC/windows > homemade ISO > LTSC > Official windows (tweaked with debloat scripts)
Security: Official windows > Homemade ISO > LTSC > tweaked whatever
nothing will suit everybody. If you don't care about security, install tweaked version (GhostSpectre)

if you care about security but do care about speed, tweak your own ISO, I know it's very complicated

My choice: Ghostspectre windows versions because they are stable and fassssssssssssst. Almost nothing can compare, except superlight versions with everything removed (unstable)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.