Guide | How To Windows 10 Tip: Lower the Blue light emitted from your PC with Night Light

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Just wondered cause I just had an update and have seen neither hide nor hair of any Creators Updates... Must be a sheep thing being one of the last as usual:p:p:p
As far as I know, the CU is delivered by batch to avoid delivering it to everybody and experience all sorts of problems.

You might get the CU in several months. :D

But if you want, there are ways to get the CU without relying on the Windows Update. :)

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
As far as I know, the CU is delivered by batch to avoid delivering it to everybody and experience all sorts of problems.

You might get the CU in several months. :D

But if you want, there are ways to get the CU without relying on the Windows Update. :)
Not in a hurry, I'll bide my time:):)
After all, I upgraded to 10 TWO days before the deadline:p

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
When I first enabled the night light setting, I didn't like it because it was too extreme. So I adjusted the slider until I got to the right balance. When it is too extreme, you feel like you are squinting in the dark and it is not conducive for productivity.

Reactions: frogboy and XhenEd

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
When I first enabled the night light setting, I didn't like it because it was too extreme. So I adjusted the slider until I got to the right balance. When it is too extreme, you feel like you are squinting in the dark and it is not conducive for productivity.
According to what I read in the f.lux site, the best way is to match the screen's color to what the color is in the room. That's why the different levels of lowering the blue light of f.lux are named after the light sources (e.g. incandescent, candle, etc.).

In this way, your eyes won't get "confused" by the colors. :)

Last edited:

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Better to turn off your physical fluorescent/whatever lights at that point. Although I haven't read the researches, I heard that light throws off the circadian rhythm especially blue light - which is a component of white light.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
According to what I read in the f.lux site, the best way to use these kinds of software is to match the screen's color to what the color is in the room. That's why the different levels of lowering the blue light of f.lux are named after the light sources (e.g. incandescent, candle, etc.). In this way, your eyes won't get "confused" by the colors. :)
Very cool information. I will have to try that.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
This is from f.lux's site, but this is also applicable to the Night Light:

What is the right color setting for me?
You're at the right color when your monitor screen color looks like the pages of a book under your room lights. We're all used to monitors giving off a 6500K glow, which is even bluer than sunlight. If the default settings of f.lux feel too extreme to you, try setting it to fluorescent, and once your eyes adjust, set it to a warmer temperature. Some studies indicate blue light is beneficial during the day, but late at night it can negatively affect your sleep pattern. Our unofficial study indicates that f.lux makes your computer look nicer in a dark room.

Reactions: frogboy and shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
According to what I read in the f.lux site, the best way is to match the screen's color to what the color is in the room. That's why the different levels of lowering the blue light of f.lux are named after the light sources (e.g. incandescent, candle, etc.).

In this way, your eyes won't get "confused" by the colors. :)
Okay, so the various f.lux levels, such as incandescent and florescent -- is it just stronger and weaker, or is it a different color mix?
If just stronger and weaker, than also the Windows night light has a slider to do that.

Reactions: XhenEd

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Okay, so the various f.lux levels, such as incandescent and florescent -- is it just stronger and weaker, or is it a different color mix?
If just stronger and weaker, than also the Windows night light has a slider to do that.
Just "stronger and weaker", just like what Night Light has. :)

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
As far as I have used it, f.lux (the stable, or even the beta) doesn't have any option to change the color. The color is always orange light (other than the blue light). :)
The unit K kelvin refers to the temperature to which one would have to heat a black body source to produce light of similar characteristics. Higher numbers mean higher frequencies like blue otherwise something like red.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I don't know about that luxometer for ipad pro, but the f.lux Windows app does seem to be pretty similar to Microsoft Night Light. Except that in the beta version of the Windows app, you can do color effects like the luxometer.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.