Windows 10 updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
Hello! I have a question regarding the nature of Windows 10 updates, how they are delivered and how they are installed.

I am running Windows 10 Build 1803 with latest updates. I had a serious issue that turned the system completely unstable and I have reinstalled Windows (clean install). Is it supposed to received the whole number of updates installed in the past few months? I have checked for updates and I only received 4 updates! I did not receive this one
KB4100347 for example. Is this normal?

AriDfoix

Level 3
Verified
Sep 2, 2018
KB4100347 for example. Is this normal?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...or-windows-10-version-1803-and-windows-server

Be sure that you CPU is between one of the listed on the link,

I only received 4 updates!

Updates are of cumulative nature, meaning they include the previous ones on Windows 10
Microsoft Update Catalog

how they are delivered and how they are installed

Through fe3.delivery.mp.microsoft.com, fe2.delivery.mp.microsoft.com and so on...

Sometimes through msiexec.exe :)

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...or-windows-10-version-1803-and-windows-server

Be sure that you CPU is between one of the listed on the link,

Updates are of cumulative nature, meaning they include the previous ones on Windows 10
Microsoft Update Catalog

Through fe3.delivery.mp.microsoft.com, fe2.delivery.mp.microsoft.com and so on...

Sometimes through msiexec.exe :)

Thank you for your reply! Yes my CPU is on the list and I have previously installed the same update on the device. After I reinstalled Windows I have not received that update.

Reactions: AriDfoix

AriDfoix

Level 3
Verified
Sep 2, 2018
I have not received that update.
This video will explain you more about CPU microcodes ^^

media.ccc.de - Everything you want to know about x86 microcode, but might have been afraid to ask

You probably already have that CPU microcode update, given the fact that you updated it before.

Usually if you will manually download that update again and run, will probably tell you a message that you are already updated; I don't know how Microsoft detect that you have already that CPU microcode, maybe some info about your CPU is sended to them, probably is a string.

I am not sure :p

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
I am %100 sure that Windows 10 updates are a mystery. Microsoft seems to pull updates for some reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.