Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
What's the safest way to disable start menu web search? Tried to do like I always do with "O&O shutup10" but not working in this fresh 2004 installation. Also, the app is not portable anymore :/
I hope they will release a new version soon.
The did that for every new windows version.

oldschool

Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
What's the safest way to disable start menu web search? Tried to do like I always do with "O&O shutup10" but not working in this fresh 2004 installation. Also, the app is not portable anymore :/
Group Policy. I'm so glad I have it to easily get rid of this junk! :D

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Group Policy. I'm so glad I have it to easily get rid of this junk! :D

Ahh, it doesn't work anymore in 2004 update. Tried it, even restarted the PC but "Adele" is still looking for me 😕
1.PNG

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
What's that?
I use my device region as United States. Changing to my own makes web search not work anymore.
But the better solution is to do what security123 said. Block the exe in your Firewall. It's a new app now btw and this is the location,
"C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Search_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchApp.exe"

Last edited:

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
It doesn't require installation anymore like before but settings are not saved in the original anymore. It's saved here now
"C:\Users\User name\AppData\Local\OO Software\OO ShutUp10"
I don't know if it does any additional things also.
I read about a change here:
Does it talk about the same thing you mention?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I read about a change here:
Does it talk about the same thing you mention?
Yeah same.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
This doesn't work either. SearchApp is a new app now so old methods won't work anymore it seems and something new needs to be done.
Seems like ESET and 2004 play nice, unless you have an old install of the HEIF Image app from the windows store. That was my problem.
Good to know but so weird that an old version of HEIF Image app causes issue.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I haven't updated to 2004 yet, as Japan seems to be experiencing minor problems with character input. The fact that the current 1909 is working steadily is one of the reasons I'm hesitant to update it. I might wait for a six-month maturity period and then install 2004. It's just like whiskey.🥃

@Sammo
I'd like to see a conversation between you and @Burrito .:)

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I think the sheriff got him! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Huh? :LOL:

Everyone give Sammo and Burrito a HAND. A blue one w/ four fings and a green one.

Oh, on topic: ran System Maintenance as routine, things are running slightly better at the moment. I think you have to give big updates like this a day or two to settle down maybe. Hopefully, a fix for the couple of bugs is forthcoming soon. Also have Full telemetry enabled for the time being.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
This doesn't work either. SearchApp is a new app now so old methods won't work anymore it seems and something new needs to be done.

Good to know but so weird that an old version of HEIF Image app causes issue.
I agree, it was truly bizarre. The initial scan would be going normal and then hit that file and the whole OS would slowly crumble if I didn’t cancel it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.