Advice Request Windows 8 Refresh Question

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
I had Refreshed my Windows 8. Now there is a folder in C Drive of Win.Old Can i Delete it.
What does Refresh mean.

Refresh.png

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
refresh is like reinstalling OS..... but your file and personalization settings and metro apps are not removed.....only desktop application are removed....

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
samit said:
refresh is like reinstalling OS..... but your file and personalization settings and metro apps are not removed.....only desktop application are removed....

I am not able to delete that folder can i use Unlocker to delete that file.

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
just go to properties of drive...click on disk clean up and there you can delete old windows files...

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
If I'm right that, that happens you've wanted to keep your personal settings like Documents and what not but like samit said every thing else is removed. If you are not needing that anymore, it can be deleted. All it does is take up space on the Hard Drive, which depends on how big it is it can get annoying. :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Simple answer, use the Help files that come with Windows, or check the Microsoft site:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

MrExplorer said:
What does Refresh mean.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Win.Old is useless to me as My all Personal Files are already copied to their places during Refresh Process.

P

Plexx

I am still a bit skeptical on Unlocker 1.9.1 for windows 8. Last update was back in 2011. Just because it works in windows 8, it does not mean is fully optimized for windows 8. Just my 2 cents.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Like samit said as well with Disk Cleanup.

Here's how to remove the Windows.Old folder, again with built-in Windows tool:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/how-remove-windows-old-folder

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You are using the restore factory setting version but so called refresh. In that case your files and documents remains intact however would go back from the first place itself where its issue free and no problems at all.

Pretty useful for some serious issue that could solved in a one time click before the final resort option.

mr.lashpash

Oct 18, 2012
If you want to remove these files. here is a very simple and effective method to remove these files. I have done this many times.
1. go to start menu and type "disk clean"
image.png

2 open Disk Clean-up and select Clean-up system files. from here you can delete your desired files and folders.
image.jpg

i hope you will find this helpful.
:)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
You can do that in Windows 7 as well though? not that new of a trick.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
And none of any Windows settings, documents, and others are removed.

Just applications installed are on the deletion process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.