Advice Request Windows 8 Rumoured Release Date and Windows 9 Speculation!

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Exorcizm

Thread author
A new rumor making its way through the Internet's tubes suggests that we might actually see a commercial release for Windows 8, Microsoft's next operating system (OS), as early as next August. What's even more surprising is that Microsoft is said to have a Windows 9 release for late 2014.

The rumor comes to us in the form of a leaked roadmap available through the minimalist tech blog "MS Nerd." The roadmap reveals Microsoft's tentative plans for future releases and, as usual, the greatest interest has been drawn to the company's popular operating systems.

See More Here:
http://www.infopackets.com/news/business/microsoft/2011/20111028_rumor_windows_8_due_august_2012_win9_in_2014.htm

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
We're not wrong because we have solid statements that are backed up with solid evidences. ;)

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
The newest version of Windows (Windows will have enhanced layers of security throughout the Operating System.

First, Microsoft will include a hardened version of Windows Defender in its next OS. Windows Defender, meanwhile, is being reconfigured to use the full set of malware signatures from the Microsoft Malware Protection Center. Previous versions only included the signatures for spyware and adware.

This is clearly a move that third-party antivirus and malware protection providers aren’t going to be thrilled with. The security software industry is a $16.5 billion industry after all.

Microsoft is also boosting OS-level security as well as an enhanced set of what Microsoft calls “mitigations”–a set of features built to disrupt or disable malicious code.

Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR) a new “mitigation”, shuffles the location of code and data on the user’s hard drive in order to frustrate hackers’ assumptions about where the information is located. Microsoft increased the level of randomization in Windows 8.

Similarly, continuous bits of memory (heaps) have also been randomized to defend against attacks. Guard pages have also been added to counter hacks that attempt to exploit heap overflows.

Also, user-mode processes have been tweaked so that the low 64K of process memory cannot be allocated, which helps protect against a number of kernel-mode vulnerabilities.

Microsoft has also hardened browser security. Explorer 10, which is designed to work with Windows 8, will also feature a number of new built-in countermeasures.

Guards have been implemented to defend against “use after free” memory vulnerabilities which, according to Microsoft, accounted for 75% of all Explorer vulnerabilities reported in the past two years.

All in all, Microsoft seem to be taking security extremely seriously in this Operating System.

That can only be a good thing…

sources

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
BoXX28 said:
I think you answered your own query win7holic. Peace man. :p

yes.
I make it clear, for NOT make confuse who's read this thread.

and, yes. hopefully microsoft make this feature for more strong.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
So in my opinion, Windows 8 will be more resistant to malware which is great for all sorts of users.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
BoXX28 said:
So in my opinion, Windows 8 will be more resistant to malware which is great for all sorts of users.

Agreed.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
BoXX28 said:

your opinion for at the moment.
who's know, microsoft make it more strong ,or get "vulnerability" ?
We will see ,how it goes in 2012 (when windows 8 released)

cheers boxx. ;)

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
BoXX28 said:
It might be vulnerable, But the chances of vulnerability will be very minimal. ;)

Yes. you're right.
plus, we can install an antivirus.
I thought, windows defender in windows 8 will be more powerful than windows defender in windows 7

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
win7holic said:
Yes. you're right.
plus, we can install an antivirus.
I thought, windows defender in windows 8 will be more powerful than windows defender in windows 7

It probably will be. Won't be now because it is still in BETA.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Windows Defender in Windows 8 is much more hardened than Windows Defender in Windows 7 because Windows Defender is now a full fledged Anti-Virus software which means that it incorporates the Definitions that are being used by Microsoft Security Essentials. I have no insight yet if Windows Defender will finally have Self Protection in Windows 8 though. ;)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
BoXX28 said:
Windows Defender in Windows 8 is much more hardened than Windows Defender in Windows 7 because Windows Defender is now a full fledged Anti-Virus software which means that it incorporates the Definitions that are being used by Microsoft Security Essentials. I have no insight yet if Windows Defender will finally have Self Protection in Windows 8 though. ;)

Hope it does in that case then there will be a full AV suite, with Windows Defender and Windows Firewall.

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
I'm 50/50 on whether I will get Windows 8 straight at launch, but might do when buy new laptop end of 2012, early 2013. More so for the touchscreen (big kid really?! lol). Am sure that this new OS will be even more better for 64-bit systems when it is installed?

Come to think of it, desktop may get an upgrade via family through the old student channel for cheap... :p

E

Exorcizm

Thread author
AyeAyeCaptain said:
I'm 50/50 on whether I will get Windows 8 straight at launch, but might do when buy new laptop end of 2012, early 2013. More so for the touchscreen (big kid really?! lol). Am sure that this new OS will be even more better for 64-bit systems when it is installed?

Come to think of it, desktop may get an upgrade via family through the old student channel for cheap... :p

I'll be waiting for release and reviews/ user satisfaction before i purchase mine ;)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I haven't had much time to play around with Windows 8, but I'm sure there will be tools available to customise everything in Windows, but just not in the Dev. version.

Here are some interesting features:
http://microsoft-news.com/some-unrevealed-windows-8-features/

No surprise about Windows 9 either.

E

Exorcizm

Thread author
Earth said:
I haven't had much time to play around with Windows 8, but I'm sure there will be tools available to customise everything in Windows, but just not in the Dev. version.

Here are some interesting features:
http://microsoft-news.com/some-unrevealed-windows-8-features/

No surprise about Windows 9 either.

That's a great source Earth, nice link, very info juicy ;)

I learnt a few things myself from it :)

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
That's a lot of hidden features for Windows 8 Earth. Thanks for the link. No wonder that Windows 8 is a huge improvement over its predecessors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.