Solved Windows blue screens on startup with a 0x0000007b error message

RichardL

Thread author
Sep 17, 2016
My computer has been working fine up until last week. I run NOD32 on my computers and once a month scan it with Malwarebytes. I get a clean scan every time. Last week my computer was acting sluggish with windows locking up but the mouse was still moving and nothing clickable. I hard restarted the computer three separate times and same thing every time. The computer would boot up to the desktop and the a few clicks later windows would lock up. I left it alone for a few days. This morning I started it up and it would immediately blue screen with a 0x0000007b error. Now I am looking for help to restore my boot sector of my drive.

Attachments

• FRST.txt
    22.7 KB · Views: 7

RichardL

Thread author
Sep 17, 2016
Yes, I tried System Restore and Startup Repair. Every time the same and it blue screens at the same point every time.

RichardL

Thread author
Sep 17, 2016
When I try any Safe mode it stops at glasspnp.sys, pauses, blue screens and immediately reboots

Attachments

• IMG_20160917_145222.jpg
    IMG_20160917_145222.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Yes, this is the notorious file that all people have problem with. Recently I've had this problem myself with Windows freezing after boot and it was also stuck at the same file while trying to enter safe mode. I disconnected all other hard drives and somehow I was able to enter Safe Mode to perform Check Disk and after this system works fine.

Can you try to do the same thing to disconnect all your hard drives and then to attach only this one?

RichardL

Thread author
Sep 17, 2016
I have disconnected all other HDD and optical drives. All usb devices are unplgged except keyboard/mouse. So it is basically K/M monitor, primary SSD drive and computer. Nothing has worked to fix the problem.

RichardL

Thread author
Sep 17, 2016
I think I fixed it. I was reading other forums about classpnp.sys and somebody suggested that the drive be recognized as a IDE not AHCI in BIOS. I switched it to IDE and rebooted into safe mode and it booted up. Then I did a normal restart and everything is now working. Time to put the computer back together. Thank you for your help.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Great. I had this in mind as last solution :)

It would be good to run FRST from Normal windows now and to attach both reports from the scan. I saw some suspicious file that could be malware related.

RichardL

Thread author
Sep 17, 2016
Here are the files you request for reviewing. Thank you

Attachments

• FRST.txt
    22.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Addition.txt
    61.9 KB · Views: 1
  • FRST.txt
    84.7 KB · Views: 1

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Yup, there is still an active infection that could cause the same thing again.

FRST.gif
Fix with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

icon_exclaim.gif
This fix was created for this user for use on that particular machine.
icon_exclaim.gif

icon_exclaim.gif
Running it on another one may cause damage and render the system unstable.
icon_exclaim.gif

Download attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop:

Both files, FRST and fixlist.txt have to be in the same location or the fix will not work!

• Right-click on
    FRST.gif
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
    Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • Press the Fix button just once and wait.
  • If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.
  • When finishes FRST will generate a log on the Desktop, called Fixlog.txt.

Please attach it to your reply.

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    8.8 KB · Views: 3

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.