Windows Defender Antivirus Scans Broken After New Update

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Yes, the problem has been fixed. Confirmed. Nice, fast response from Microsoft (y)
def.png

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
This is why I recommend KSC Free. WD cannot be trusted and you can't just repair install it to fix it.
Ha, ha. Bearing in mind the full story about this issue and some known Kaspersky issues in the past (after some Windows Upgrades), you should probably recommend the opposite. :giggle:
WD is irritating, but its issues do not impact much the security (GUI bugs, minor bugs).
Any strong & effective 3rd party AV (like Kaspersky) will have much greater problems on Windows 10, until M$ will stop changing the behavior of APIs, kernel, etc. But, this is improbable.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The new Windows as a Service (WaaS) model makes us all test crash dummies.

Windows 10 users working as unpaid, de facto beta testers.

"Hole-lee brick-cheeze Andy, they changed the API ! Hold on bro !"

View attachment 224931
WINDOWS 10
On Windows Home, they push to users also enterprise features which are dangerous for the customers (unneeded services, old protocols, scripting, etc.).

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Ha, ha. Bearing in mind the full story about this issue and some known Kaspersky issues in the past (after some Windows Upgrades), you should probably recommend the opposite. :giggle:
WD is irritating, but its issues do not impact much the security (GUI bugs, minor bugs).
Any strong & effective 3rd party AV (like Kaspersky) will have much greater problems on Windows 10, until M$ will stop changing the behavior of APIs, kernel, etc. But, this is improbable.
This is true indeed. The latest version of ESET broke things too. It's been more than a week I guess but they've yet to fix the issue. WD is more stable in similar regards.

On Windows Home, they push to users also enterprise features which are dangerous for the customers (unneeded services, old protocols, scripting, etc.).

Most people here use either Linux or Mac OS. Lots and lots of MacBook Pro 15s here.

For average people, MacOS is arguably the best overall solution to the Windows problem that is available on the market. Except for the device prices. I love the MacBook Pro 15. Well above average hardware and ergonomics (subjective). I have a problem with the $3000 price tag.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Interesting bug, at least the scan finished faster.:p

In all seriousness though, I don't think this bug was a big issue. Real-time protection wasn't affected, so systems were still protected. Most people don't run quick/full scans that much anyways. I don't think this is a good example to say, I won't recommend WD, I recommend a 3rd party instead. I don't know of any 3rd party that hasn't had, or continues to have bugs, both big and small. Why do all vendors have change logs and release updates constantly? Most of the updates are to fix something or other, so this isn't just a MS issue.

This is just the nature of software in general, there will be bugs, but fortunately this one really wasn't that bad, people were still protected and MS fixed it pretty fast, so no need to run for the hills and lose sleep over this.:cool::emoji_beer:

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018

True, though I wonder when they move to their new model if running something like H_C, which uses ie SRP and ASR, will be possible for home users. Even the AV, itself what if network protection module was not even there to enable via registry/GPO.

My fear is that the total cost for features that aren't used by a lot of people will be high as they will be bundled only with expensive editions of Windows.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

wow, thanks, I almost fell into that trap! I just installed w10 pro 1903 into VMware workstation, and right away I was offered to "upgrade" to enterprise + additional cost. I was just getting ready to post that question and I see your comment answering it and showing my hesitation was correct choice. :)

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Within the next 10 years, you can count on Microsoft announcing that users will have to pay annual license fees for Windows Home.

Coincidentally, I got the notification today that Microsoft is abolishing the Home Use Program (HUP) as we know it.

If your company purchases Microsoft in certain way, employees can get big discounts on Microsoft software.

HUP allowed us to buy Microsoft Office for $10 for life.

Now... it's going to a discounted version of Office 365 where you pay, and pay, and pay.... forever.

Until you die.

The End.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.