App Review Windows Defender Hardening test vs Malware

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The results of this video are hard to interpret.

The optimistic interpretation:
All samples were detected, blocked or mitigated. There were some leftovers in the registry that tried to run nonexistent (quarantined) malware with Windows start.

The pessimistic interpretation:
Four samples infected the system and successfully got the persistence, although some malicious actions were partially blocked.

Unfortunately, this hardening was incomplete. In fact, only two options were improved over the default settings. The ASR rules and Network Protection were not activated and some settings were the default ones (did not require to be set by GPO).

The test setup was very different from the real-world scenario. The author tested (as usual) the scenario related to Enterprises - the samples were run from the local network. In this scenario, WD "Block At First Sight" feature does not work even if it was set by GPO in the video (unnecessarily, because it is activated by default).

Such videos can be valuable only as a demonstration of AV features. The test results cannot show if the protection is very strong, good or rather average.

So, we can thank the author for trying, even if there are some things that should be improved. By the way, it is hard to test WD because of its post-infection protection.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Yes, block at first sight and thousands of FPs.

It depends on the file. For very new files with very low prevalence, WD has a harder time when it comes to FPs. For well known and medium to high prevalence files, WD has no issues. The latter is the category most people will experience, so in the vast majority of cases WD will do fine with FPs. Interestingly enough WD fid really well with FPs in the latest AV comparatives test. Usually it struggles due to detecting the very low to low prevalence files.

Only 860 malware?
Thankfully it wasn't 861 pieces of malware, would have been utter doom if it was.

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

The option to Join Microsoft MAPS (2:35 in the video) is what enables the cloud-delivered protection component of Windows Defender.

Source: Enable cloud-delivered protection - Under the section labeled 'Use Group Policy to enable cloud-delivered protection'
I know but he doesn't say why it was first disabled by him and he doesn't go back after the changes so nobody see the actually status.

Also his "funny" other video sequences are not very serious.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I can support the author a little - many authors do not understand how WD works and this is not only their fault (greetings to Microsoft). :) (y)
This is one reason why people are uncertain/uncomfortable about using Defender, despite it being pretty capable. You don’t always know what’s going on if you don’t know where to look, or have a Home version. And they don’t do a good job disseminating the information (just like a lot of other windows features).

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

This is Microsoft's epic fail and it will never change. Go to the open source community and there is documentation and help everywhere.
Sure, OpenSource fix everything...like 20 years old security holes in Linux
Or lack or important security stuff in Linux until today.
Ah and don't forget the highly fragmentation with poorly help for other distri cause they're all enemy's (their distri is best, other su**s).

OpenSource is good and important but not the ultimate solution to everything until community learn how to work together

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Wmic is deprecated. Powershell is the new way.

I wrote about Linux because it's most argument in OpenSource and in fact it is insecure. Also already written the kernel miss important security stuff windows had.
You should read posts from Daniel Micay why that's the case.

Also a big problem in OpenSource is lack of maintenance and high costs which mostly end in project dead

Edit: my post was related to russeledgar
I only miss quote his long post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The debates on forums like this about tests and protections is of very little practical use. They are of no help to the general public or end users who never come to places like this.
This reasoning would make useless Universities, NASA, etc. But, even if such reasoning is faulty in my opinion, you are right that security forums cannot help most people directly. Anyway, the help can be delivered indirectly, when MT reader wants to manage the friend's computer. Furthermore, MT is one of the many forums, so it is not hard to find valuable information about computer problems.
I would disagree with you if you think that Leo's influence on computer users is more important than a well known security forum.
These debates only serve the agenda of those who want to insist that their point of view is the only correct point of view and those that need to validate their choices at the expense of others who have different views.
That is normal. You have to read many posts, and usually, there will be some posts that can expand your knowledge. Of course, security forums like MT or Wilderssecurity are not focused on learning their readers. People here also like to discuss, share information, etc.
This is Microsoft's epic fail and it will never change. Go to the open source community and there is documentation and help everywhere.
It seems that the most valuable information for home users about WD you can find on MT forum.:)(y)

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Even though WD did well here Leo couldn't stop himself from making fun of WD. Typical mentality of him. At the start of the video he said, he's been following WD since the beginning and knows how it works. Lol, he still doesn't know very well how it works. WD used less than 40% CPU during this test yet he said the CPU usage was over 50% and also acted like it was bad, too high. While Bitdefender in similar tests, uses over 90% CPU during testing but back then he said it was fine because the higher the CPU usage the faster the threats will be taken care of. After this test he also poked fun saying if you have 24 cores CPU then you may afford to make this changes. Really! Are you kidding me! This is the guy you think knows how WD works! What a d**k! Two faced clown.
Everyone should also remember that Leo works for Emsisoft and making fun of WD is like a part of his job. I've seen Emsisoft employees throwing unnecessary shades on WD on their support forum as well as in Emsisoft Emergency Kit which they only removed after I made a complaint.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
It depends on the file. For very new files with very low prevalence, WD has a harder time when it comes to FPs. For well known and medium to high prevalence files, WD has no issues. The latter is the category most people will experience, so in the vast majority of cases WD will do fine with FPs. Interestingly enough WD fid really well with FPs in the latest AV comparatives test. Usually it struggles due to detecting the very low to low prevalence files.
That's why I prefer the approach followed, while a bit differently, by Norton, Kaspersky, and Eset. They use cloud and show you how many people use a file and when it was first seen and whatsoever

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.