Battle Windows Defender OR another antivirus for average user?

Compare list
Is Windows Defender Antivirus good enough? Should I stick with it or should I grab another AV? Any thoughts?
In-depth Comparison

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Hello guys, King Alpha here (AKA King Mellow, for those who knew me). I need your help with setting up the security config on my gf's laptop (ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DY). I'm totally outdated with regards to my PC security knowledge as I've been away from MT the past 2 years. So, please, guys help me with this.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I don't think you're gonna notice any performance issue while gaming with Window Defender. On my potato laptop newer games run poorly no matter what the antivirus is. I haven't used any resource hungry AVs though. I have WD set at High setting via Configure Defender and also manually set it to check for update every hour. So, it even updates while I play an online game like "Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege" which won't be the case for her but still I face no lag/fps drop whatsoever. Besides, your gf's laptop is not potato like mine so she's gonna be fine with Windows Defender. Don't worry too much.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
So, it even updates while I play an online game like "Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege" which won't be the case for her but still I face no lag/fps drop whatsoever. Besides, your gf's laptop is not potato like mine so she's gonna be fine with Windows Defender.
This can depend on the game and settings. The higher resolution, game details and other enhancements the more problems with game performance.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
This can depend on the game and settings. The higher resolution, game details and other enhancements the more problems with game performance.
That's correct of course. But all the gamers I know don't bother installing any other AV and they never faced any problem so WD is fine I think specially now because it has got much better now than it was 2-3 years ago.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
That's correct of course. But all the gamers I know don't bother installing any other AV and they never faced any problem so WD is fine I think specially now because it has got much better now than it was 2-3 years ago.
I’ve used WD for a gaming machine since it was a thing and never had an issue I could trace to it.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Thank you for your reply. actually I have only emsisoft and McAfee subscription left so what shall I do please tell me an effective protection without much system impact.
Open the separate thread with software/hardware specification related to your computer. Effective protection will depend on many factors, including your knowledge about security, safe habits, computer purpose (banking, gaming, productivity, etc.). You can also ask Evjl's Rain or another MT member who uses Windows 8.1.

Last edited:

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
You cannot use Windows Defender if you are on an AMD CPU because all of the optimizations were designed with Intel... Microsoft should be sued for this but anyway. Slap Kaspersky Security Cloud Free and your PC will actually be faster and more protected than with WD.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
You cannot use Windows Defender if you are on an AMD CPU because all of the optimizations were designed with Intel... Microsoft should be sued for this but anyway. Slap Kaspersky Security Cloud Free and your PC will actually be faster and more protected than with WD.
This is news to me. Do you know where you found this out, I’d like to read about it?

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
This is news to me. Do you know where you found this out, I’d like to read about it?
Just my bad phrasing. Of course you can use Windows Defender Antivirus but it won't be as well optimized.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Based on WD, make settings using all kinds of fine adjustment software. Every time something happens, GF will ask you for help. Eventually, you will become intimate and the relationship will evolve into a new stage.
;)

I will comment from my experience. Many people who buy pc to play games don't like the details of security software. You could say you're not interested. I think the first priority of the choice is that there is little post-installation adjustment. If I were you, I would choose WD.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I want to ask one question I have an laptop with windows 8.1 pro and recently got the security intelligence update so shall I consider other after market AV or this one is effective.
I don't recommend using Windows Defender on windows 8.1 because it's not as strong as WD on windows 10 but it's more stable than the one on windows 10 and somehow consumes less resource
Windows 8.1 has Windows Smartscreen which is the best feature to protect you from malwares => Windows 8-10 users have significantly fewer infetions than Windows 7 users thanks to Smartscreen (Windows Defender also benefits from smartscreen)
You should use another AV such as Kaspersky, Emsisoft,...

However, every AV has some impact on your computer so you have to tweak your AV for better performance. I would not use any AV in its default settings unless they don't allow or they don't have options to improve performance

if you use Kaspersky security cloud free, you can visit my Configure thread to read my Kaspersky tweaks for maximum performance as a reference

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Update: Hey guys! I'm currently installing ESET NOD32! Choosing it is a no brainer, simply because of its game mode and lightness. I'll post my gf's laptop config later but here is the current setup;
AV: ESET NOD32 Antivirus
Firewall: Windows Firewall
On-demand Scanners: EEK, ZAM and MBAM
Additional Security Software: NVT SysHardener and NVT OSArmor
Browser Plugin: AdGuard Extension, BitDefender TrafiicLight and HTTPS Everywhere

Thank you very much guys for helping me! :)

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
pls take a look at this guide to improve the protection of eset without a noticeable system impact

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Just my bad phrasing. Of course you can use Windows Defender Antivirus but it won't be as well optimized.
This article says the opposite (in some way). It says that if you use some Intel chips, then this can improve the performance when you also use Windows Defender. Simply, WD can make use of this Intel technology to minimize the impact of security on performance. (y)
This, of course, does not improve the performance when AMD hardware is used, when you have WD or another AV.

SUPRA

Level 3
Verified
Nov 26, 2016
I don't recommend using Windows Defender on windows 8.1 because it's not as strong as WD on windows 10 but it's more stable than the one on windows 10 and somehow consumes less resource
Windows 8.1 has Windows Smartscreen which is the best feature to protect you from malwares => Windows 8-10 users have significantly fewer infetions than Windows 7 users thanks to Smartscreen (Windows Defender also benefits from smartscreen)
You should use another AV such as Kaspersky, Emsisoft,...

However, every AV has some impact on your computer so you have to tweak your AV for better performance. I would not use any AV in its default settings unless they don't allow or they don't have options to improve performance

if you use Kaspersky security cloud free, you can visit my Configure thread to read my Kaspersky tweaks for maximum performance as a reference
Thank you very much sir I was going to create a new thread but you have answered.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Annotation 2019-09-06 113902.jpg

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Windows Defender not enough
Use trusted Programs such as : ESET Bitdefender Kaspersky Norton.
if you are using Bitdefender kaspersky Norton Improve ram.
Thanks.
Is WD an untrusted AV?:unsure:
Have you tried to say that you personally do not trust WD protection? (this would be OK)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.