Advice Request Windows Defender Quick Scan Issue

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I have been using WD ConfigHIGH for awhile now. Yesterday, I noticed a message via tray icon that a Quick Scan was overdue. I ran it several times but it would not complete quickly, and stop by itself for some reason. I never had a problem until now. If there is a glitch in the quick scan, I consider this serious. Maybe the latest update?

So for now, I am switching to Avast Free. I will wait a month, then try WD again.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I had a problem when CCleaner was allowed to clean Windows Defender.
Only the full scans were remembered.
I use now only Windows Disk Cleanup for cleaning Windows Defender and don't have that problem anymore.
Please update to the latest platform and definitions of Windows Defender by running the following command from an elevated command prompt:
Code:
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\MpEngine" /f /v MpCampRing /t REG_DWORD /d 3
control /name Microsoft.WindowsUpdate
Hopefully that solves your quick scan issue.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I had a problem when CCleaner was allowed to clean Windows Defender.
Only the full scans were remembered.
I use now only Windows Disk Cleanup for cleaning Windows Defender and don't have that problem anymore.
Please update to the latest platform and definitions of Windows Defender by running the following command from an elevated command prompt:
Code:
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\MpEngine" /f /v MpCampRing /t REG_DWORD /d 3
control /name Microsoft.WindowsUpdate
Hopefully that solves your quick scan issue.

Just checked both Wise and CCleaner, and both have WD Cleaning unchecked.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.