Advice Request Windows Firewall Control - will Malwarebytes continue developing it as a separate product?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
For few years WFC will be standalone then out of the blue WFC will be integrated to MBAM endpoint and finally makes its foray into consumer SW.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
TinyWall is essentially dead at the moment. It won't install on Windows 10 because its certificate has been deactivated. There is a workaround version available for those that just have to have it.

The developer stated he is crafting the new version very, very slowly.

I am curious to know where this info about developer’s comments re: TW originate from. I’m interested since I love TW. Please expand on your comment.

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Does anyone know if tinywall needs to be put in learning mode first to allow windows to be allowed in firewall with windows firewall on?

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Does anyone know if tinywall needs to be put in learning mode first to allow windows to be allowed in firewall with windows firewall on?

What? If I’m understanding you, no since TW simply gives WF a sane and hardened configuration. It will allow all necessary Windows services. You may start using TW in normal mode and you will allow apps when first using them after TW is installed. For instance, when first using a browser it will be blocked until you allow it via one of three methods - by window, executable or process. For the first method you would simply click anywhere in the browser’s window. Same for other apps. Or you may use executable or process. Yes, you may simply choose “learning mode” and use your machine for awhile. If so, make sure you are free of malware or you will allow it while in this mode. Finally, remember that you will never receive alerts with TW so if an app is not working you will have to allow it. I advise reading the TW website thoroughly, particularly the Features and Facts pages which will answer any questions you may have. Beautifully simple! And no bugs. Still my favorite firewall. (y)

Reactions: blueblackwow65

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

The developer stated he is crafting the new version very, very slowly.

I checked that thread thoroughly and this comment is quite old. My belief is that we cannot say what’s up with the dev’er or what if any his plans are. From my experience TinyWall is fully compatible with Windows 10 current build - except the installer. So the choice whether to use is the user’s own, either by turning back the Windows clock or by using F. Dossena’s repackaged installer.

I checked that thread thoroughly and this comment is quite old. My belief is that we cannot say what’s up with the dev’er or what if any his plans are. From my experience TinyWall is fully compatible with Windows 10 current build - except the installer. So the choice whether to use is the user’s own, either by turning back the Windows clock or by using F. Dossena’s repackaged installer.

The developer stated a year or two ago that he was having personal problems. After that, he went silent on Wilders. He has been back only once or twice and stated he is developing the next version slowly. Seems pretty straight forward to me... if he does release the next version it will be a year or two, perhaps even longer. Maybe never.

And, no, the product does not work all that great on the latest Windows 10. I've tested it and there are quite a few problems. I reported them to the developer. And, guess what... he never replied to me or anyone else who has reported an issue directly to him.

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
WFC 5.4.0.0 is out Windows Firewall Control
What's new in version 5.4.0.0 (01.08.2018)
- New: The notifications system is now available for free and the program does not require activation anymore.
- New: The installer and the files are now digitally signed.
- Updated: A new EULA is available when installing the software.
- Reverted: Secure Rules feature was reverted to the old implementation from version 5.0.2.0. The implementation from versions 5.1.x.x-5.3.x.x creates too many problems than it solves.
- Fixed: Under certain circumstances, Connections Log displays nothing in Windows 10.
- Fixed: 'Use proxy configuration' is checked even if the user presses the Cancel button in the proxy configuration dialog.

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
I don't think they would develop it as a seperate product. Most security companies integrate a firewall or firewall control features in a Suite these days. And for many developing a firewall only, is not profitable enough.

maybe that new winpatrol firewall. they sell it separate. and i think it has a free and pro version.

And MB made it 100% free :eek:

Not free forever. Read what Malwarebytes said: "And not to worry—we will maintain, support, and keep Binisoft products free for everyone in the short term. Learn more about the acquisition here. "

At some point people are going to have to pay - as they should - because softs cost money to develop and maintain.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Not free forever. Read what Malwarebytes said: "And not to worry—we will maintain, support, and keep Binisoft products free for everyone in the short term. Learn more about the acquisition here. "

At some point people are going to have to pay - as they should - because softs cost money to develop and maintain.

But the question that follows is: will the paid version be for a stand-alone FW or a MB suite? If the answer is the latter then the answer for me is “no thanks”.

But the question that follows is: will the paid version be for a stand-alone FW or a MB suite? If the answer is the latter then the answer for me is “no thanks”.

When they integrate the firewall into Malwarebytes, it will be available only in the paid version.

The standalone version will be paid - just like the last version Alexandru produced before Malwarebytes bought the rights to his products.

Since there is only a single developer (Alexandru) maintaining and supporting the product, I would be surprised if Malwarebytes permits anything other than a heavily limited freeware of the standalone - just like Alexandru had done.

Reactions: Deleted member 178
L

Local Host

When they integrate the firewall into Malwarebytes, it will be available only in the paid version.

The standalone version will be paid - just like the last version Alexandru produced before Malwarebytes bought the rights to his products.

Since there is only a single developer (Alexandru) maintaining and supporting the product, I would be surprised if Malwarebytes permits anything other than a heavily limited freeware of the standalone - just like Alexandru had done.
Lets avoid speculation, Malwarebytes still hasn't made it clear what they're going to do with WFC. While WFC Developer stated his program is going to be integrated into Malwarebytes Products.
In the same message you quoted it says "maintain, support, and keep Binisoft products free for everyone in the short term".
I also doubt Malwarebytes will make a Firewall only Software with their direction, they dropped all their stand-alone Software and been putting everything in a suite. So everything pointing to no standalone version.

Last edited:

Lets avoid speculation, Malwarebytes still hasn't made it clear what they're going to do with WFC. While WFC Developer stated his program is going to be integrated into Malwarebytes Products.
In the same message you quoted it says "maintain, support, and keep Binisoft products free for everyone in the short term".
I also doubt Malwarebytes will make a Firewall only Software with their direction, they dropped all their stand-alone Software and been putting everything in a suite. So everything pointing to no standalone version.

It isn't speculation. Just ask the WFC developer. He'll tell you. But the details have now changed. What Malwarebytes and what Alexandru are saying is two different things. Just go over to Wilders and ask.

Reactions: Vasudev

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
I didn't liked that decision because im using it as my main FW and I' noticing that their new improvements-features or modules patch's it's getting delayed for transition project reasons, also, it isn't having the necesary paid attention, I think the last update was released a few days ago, a total of 4 months it was unchanged, also, since the last updates in win7-64bit the use of memory has become intensive, In such a small program this shouldn't happen, but we're pending about the future of what will befall in this MB+BS merger.

Reactions: Vasudev
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.