Windows Repair Toolbox - Have you tried it?

AlexCa

From Windows Repair Toolbox
Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hi all, I’ve released version 1.9.1.0 of WRT.

This version fixes an unhandled exception that would crash the program during its startup if the CPU wasn’t supported by the temperature monitor. A few other unhandled exceptions that might also occur during the startup were also handled. This problem affected versions 1.9.0.7 and higher.

Thanks to the user Scott T. for reporting the issue.

Last edited:

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Stick with Universal Windows Platform apps and there will be hardly any use for this tool. The day we keep messing around with the registry and system files by installing programs will soon end.
Luckily, I don't see that day coming. Even M$ noticed that the bastardization of desktop and mobile wasn't the greatest move ever. Of course, they'd still very much like to cage developers into an app store, Apple is making a ton of money that way.

Epic CEO: “Universal Windows Platform can, should, must, and will die” — via ArsTechnica

There's just no need to lose control and set sail for UWP, desktop apps are fine the way they are. That's just my USD 0.02, though. :)

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hi all,

I've updated WRT to version 1.9.1.1:

- Fixed one circumstance that would cause Windows Repair Toolbox to hang in the initial loading screen for several minutes, in some machines. Thanks to the user Timster for reporting this issue and help troubleshooting, and to the user Greg for also help troubleshooting.

- Fixed: if the temperature monitor was disabled from the settings tab while the red indicator was active, that "red dot" would continue visible in the panel instead of disappearing.

- Added: When the temperature monitor is disabled from the settings or is unavailable, now the word "Unavailable" will appear in front of "TEMP:"

- Some other internal improvements.

As always, your feedback is welcome.
Thank you!

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
The AD is very unfortunately placed, I have almost downloaded the wrong tool, some users still might.

capture_08192017_231835.jpg

This tool is amazing, thanks for your great work, this is definitely a keeper. ;)

The option to disable constantly asking to download the new copy would be nice.
I guess you do not plan adding a digital certificate, since it costs money and it is not really needed?
I command you, that the tool is able to detect internet, most software fails to on my PC, even Windows.

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
The AD is very unfortunately placed, I have almost downloaded the wrong tool, some users still might.

Hi @TairikuOkami, thank you for feedback. I placed that space at the higher position possible and with a label "Advertisements". The content you see is unfortunate because its about some other repair software, but the true is that don't handpick what goes in there. I can recommend you the uBlock Origin (by gorhill) extension for Chrome - I use it myself and don't try to block others from using it in my website.

This tool is amazing, thanks for your great work, this is definitely a keeper. ;)
Thank you!

The option to disable constantly asking to download the new copy would be nice.
I do that because older versions don't receive definitions updates (I can only keep up with the support for the most recent version) and so some downloads will inevitably stop working, and also because the newer versions many times contain bug fixes. I'm sorry for the inconvenient.

I guess you do not plan adding a digital certificate, since it costs money and it is not really needed?
I have it in my "to do" list!

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I can recommend you the uBlock Origin (by gorhill) extension for Chrome - I use it myself and don't try to block others from using it in my website.
Thanks, but I do not block ADs, to at least partially support webpage/software. The other ADs are OK, just that one was a bad coincidence.

Attachments

• capture_08202017_120546.jpg
    capture_08202017_120546.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 542
  • capture_08202017_120558.jpg
    capture_08202017_120558.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 477
Reactions: The paranoid one

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
The day we keep messing around with the registry and system files by installing programs will soon end.
I highly doubt that. I have installed hundreds of desktop apps on my main computer, and only five UWP apps. There's only one UWP app I use, and I only use it about once a month. I never use any of the UWP apps which are included with Windows 10, and at times have installed them all.

I prefer to use desktop apps instead of UWP apps. For example I use the Windows 7 calculator instead of the UWP one. I see absolutely no point in switching from desktop apps to UWP apps.

Reactions: The paranoid one

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hi all,

I've just released version 1.9.1.2 of WRT:

- Changed the memory monitor: it used to show the "% Committed Bytes in Use" and now it shows the "% Used".

- Corrected the label from the CPU monitor from "% use" to "% time".

- Fixed the spacing between the left side groupboxes in the "Settings" tab.

- Added informative tooltips also to the buttons in "Windows" groupbox.

- Updated Notepad++ from version 7.5 to version 7.5.1.

- Added the recommendation to disable the real-time AV to the messagebox that is shown when the "Run Unattended" button is clicked.

Thank you!

Reactions: frogboy

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
An user made me this question: "...how can I backup or export all downloaded programs to every new iteration of your program?"

The answer is to copy the following folders:
...\Windows_Repair_Toolbox\Downloads
...\Windows_Repair_Toolbox\custom

The second one is for the case that you've added customizations to the program (icon, title bar text, custom.xml file).

Last edited:
Reactions: brambedkar59

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hi all, I've just released version 2.0.0.1 of WRT. Here's what's changed:

- Added: extra information about the system drive, namely the "Power-On Time" and the "Power-On Count". Quickly accessible through the tooltip:

drive.jpg

- Added: information about the Computer manufacturer, model and serial number, as provided by the SMBIOS. I found this useful for when providing remote support and to check the computer warranty. Also quickly accessible through a tooltip added to the "OS" label:

computer.jpg

- Fixed: users in China (are there any?:D) would always get the information of "Internet connection status is: OFF".

- Replaced "Treesize" with "WizTree" (WizTree is faster. However, after using this program, make sure to go to "Options" > and uncheck "Windows Explorer context menu", or by default a "WizTree" entry is added to the windows explorer context menu. That entry will stay there after Wiztree is deleted or, for instance, if the pendrive where the program exists is removed. So, at that point, clicking on that entry will return an error. I reported this to the developer and he replied saying that he will change that default in the next update).

- Replaced "FarbarSS" and "TCPView" with "BlueScreenView" and "AppCrashView". I did it because I find these two tools really useful and susceptible to be used in a large majority of cases (to check for recent bluescreens and application crashes, in conjunction with the Event Viewer and Reliability Monitor). Although they are already included in the "NirLauncher" package, I find it more practical to have those two particular tools together and more accessible, as they are now.

- Changed: when clicking the "Clear Downloads" or the "Reset to Defaults" button, the questions whether to also delete the added and downloaded custom tools or not, and whether to reset the "custom.xml" file or not, are now shown with a red warning icon (beside having "NO" as the default answer), in order to help out the quick shooters :)

- A few other internal and minor changes.

Thank you!

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
- Replaced "Treesize" with "WizTree" (WizTree is faster).
I like Treesize's GUI more, but it seems, that WizTree actually shows the allocated size correctly, so congrats are in order. :)
capture_09172017_110854.jpg

Maybe add GitHub - lostindark/DriverStoreExplorer: DriverStore Explorer [RAPR] ?
It removes old drivers (AV related as well, Zemana/Panda), which might cause issues and takes space.
Each graphic driver takes ~900MB, I had 5 of them before I started using this tool, sure saved me a lot of space.
capture_09172017_111707.jpg capture_09172017_112645.jpg

Replaced "FarbarSS" and "TCPView"
Indeed, TCPView is really not needed, it is part of Task Manager anyway and FarbarSS is pretty much useless.

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
I like Treesize's GUI more, but it seems, that WizTree actually shows the allocated size correctly, so congrats are in order. :)
View attachment 167392

Maybe add GitHub - lostindark/DriverStoreExplorer: DriverStore Explorer [RAPR] ?
It removes old drivers (AV related as well, Zemana/Panda), which might cause issues and takes space.
Each graphic driver takes ~900MB, I had 5 of them before I started using this tool, sure saved me a lot of space.
View attachment 167394 View attachment 167393

Indeed, TCPView is really not needed, it is part of Task Manager anyway and FarbarSS is pretty much useless.

@TairikuOkami , thank you for your feedback and the suggestion for DriverStore Explorer!

I've tested it, and I'm inclined to add it in the next version as a replacement for Decrapifier in the "Uninstallers" section (it offers what it seems to me like a more unique and useful feature, but I'll have to do some more searching and testing). In the tests I did, it doesn't seem to be able to remove AV related old drivers, but that would only be an additional advantage. I've tested by installing and uninstalling several AV's and by looking at the "non-plug and play drivers" by using this method. You can take a look at some of the results here (Mcafee) and here (Zemana). Maybe there's something I'm missing?

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Maybe there's something I'm missing?
Nuh, you are right, it focuses only on a few drivers, probably non-Microsoft, no idea why some AV's were there and the rest was not.
By the way, it is unable to remove drivers, which are in use, as a safety measure. But is not even version 1.0, so might be considered beta.

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

I have not tried this software(I use Windows Repair 2018 Pro by Tweaking.com), but what I am reading here, perhaps I should.(y)

Reactions: Takemaster

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hi guys, I've released yesterday version 2.0.0.2 of Windows Repair Toolbox.

The main change was in the “Uninstallers” section, where I added a functionality called “AVLeftovers”, and the compilation “AV Uninstall Tools Pack”. The programs “Eset AV Remover” (that is already included in the compilation mentioned above) and “Decrapifier” were removed.

The “AVLeftovers” helps to identify what Antivirus programs may have been previously installed on a computer that you’re working on, so that you can run the respective manual uninstaller before installing another Antivirus of your choice, or when trying to solve some problem potentially caused by an incomplete uninstall of a previous security solution.

It works by simply searching for directories in the system drive (with some exclusions) whose name contains the name of several security solutions (the same that are present in the “AV Uninstall Tools Pack”). The results are presented in a TreeView, and under the node containing the detection are shown the full paths. False positives are possible so it’s advised check the paths. Example below (after uninstalling Avast and McAfee through Control Panel and rebooting the computer):

print.jpg

I was under the impression that Eset Av Remover would do this, but it doesn’t, so I decided to add it myself to WRT. While testing another software (that was suggested by @TairikuOkami ), I installed and removed successively five different Antivirus (Avast, AVG, Avira, McAfee and Norton). I then run Eset AV remover and it indicated that there we’re no leftovers found, while there were plenty (directories and drivers left by the regular uninstallers). My guess is that it will probably only detect in the case of a seriously broken uninstall.

The “AV Uninstall Tools Pack” is a collection of the official tools for removing more than 40 security programs. It has about 250MB and it’s updated on a monthly basis. The interface by default is in Russian, but there’s an option on the main window to change it to English.

Thank you!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.