Windows Repair Toolbox - Have you tried it?

AlexCa

From Windows Repair Toolbox
Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Released version 2.0.0.9, in order to fix a bug that was meanwhile reported by an user, and also to introduce a small improvement to a functionality.

- Fixed: if the S.M.A.R.T monitor that is integrated into WRT was for some reason prevented from running (e.g: security software interference), WRT would display an alert regarding the health of the system drive.

- Improved: excluded the "Windows.old" folder from the scope of the scan performed by the "AVLeftovers" functionality (in the "Uninstallers" section).

Thank you.

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hi all, version 2.0.1.0 is now available for download. It fixes the NirLauncher download (since yesterday or earlier today, Nirsoft protected the .zip file with a password, and so it was necessary to adapt the code in order to be able to extract it). I also took the opportunity to update the 7-Zip components to version 18.01. Thank you.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I also took the opportunity to update the 7-Zip components to version 18.01.
Nice attention to details, most software keep using vulnerable 7-zip libraries forever, some do not even bother updating them at all.

Unfortunately, Nirsoft can not be downloaded, nor launched at all now. :(

Attachments

• capture_02082018_204705.jpg
    capture_02082018_204705.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 689

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Nice attention to details, most software keep using vulnerable 7-zip libraries forever, some do not even bother updating them at all.

Hey @TairikuOkami , thank you for your feedback.
In my computer and also inside a VM I'm able to download and run NirLauncher.
Can you please check the program version and the definitions version in the "About" tab of WRT?
Program Version should be 2.0.1.0 and definitions version should be 1.2.8.2. If not, click the "Check Updates" in the Settings tab.

Ps: please remember to disable the anti-virus before downloading NirLauncher.

Last edited:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I think that it is convenient and cool navigation software. However, it will be easy to test software that affects the system, so it is important to understand and use it. The name of this software is too attractive for beginners who need to be careful.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Nevermind, my mistake, sorry about it. :oops: I have recently switched to UltraDNS and it is blocking Nirsoft in "Threat Protection" mode, since it is considered as malware.

On the bright side, at least I know, that DNS works in blocking malware downloads from infected webpages.

Last edited:

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hi all,

I’ve just released version 3.0.0.0 of Windows Repair Toolbox. Here's what changed:

- WRT will now check if the tools have new versions available. If yes, it will ask if you want to download it, otherwise it will immediately run the existing copy.

print.jpg

- The “Download All” button on the Settings tab has been replaced with an “Update All” button. Instead of deleting all the downloads, and then download everything again; it will only download the tools that still haven’t been downloaded and update those that are outdated.

- Several improvements to the management of the downloads have been made.

- The portable version of Windows Repair Toolbox is now the main version for download in the website.

- The “Reset To Defaults” function, in the "Settings" tab, has been simplified, and will now not affect anything in the “Custom Tools” tab.

- Fixed an error that would sometimes occur with some tools when changing WRT from a 64-bits OS to a 32-bits OS ("The specified executable is not a valid application for this OS platform").

- Fixed: some tools would keep a copy of their previous versions after being updated.

- Replaced “BATExpert” with “BateryInfoView”.

- Replaced “Check Flash” with the built-in “Windows Memory Diagnostics” (for the sake of completeness of the hardware section, that was missing a RAM diagnostic tool).

- Replaced “Don’t Sleep” with “DDU” (Display Driver Uninstaller).

- Several other minor improvements and fixes.

If you're using a previous version of WRT it's recommended that you uninstall it / delete it before changing to this new version.
In order to save your customizations (icon, title, added programs, custom.xml...), just backup the following folders:

Windows_Repair_Toolbox\Downloads\Custom Tools
Windows_Repair_Toolbox\custom

...and restore them to the same locations afterwards.

As always, your feedback is welcome.

Thank you!

Last edited:

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
How about adding "WizFile", since many people disable Cortana and by that also break Search.

EDIT: Nevermind, I have just noticed, there is UltraSearch. :oops:

I actually tested it yesterday, but I've found that UltraSearch (it's in the first tab, in the "Uninstallers" section) is as fast but more complete. Thank you for the suggestion anyway, I'm always trying to keep an eye in new tools.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
By the way, what has changed since about 2 versions ago? I have "Windows Management Instrumentation" service disabled, to prevent fileless malware, so it generates tons of errors obviously (I just cancel them), but WRT used to start ASAP, now it sits there for about 4 mins, until it starts, so I guess, that timeout has increased? The first error, which comes after those 4 mins, is about free space. I guess this could be prevented, if WRT would remember "Minimal mode", but I understand, that this is not an issue, since most people do not disable that service, most likely noone except me, just wondering, if there is a workaround, like starting it with a parameter, like /minimal? :)

Attachments

• capture_04122018_133539.jpg
    capture_04122018_133539.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 634
  • capture_04122018_133559.jpg
    capture_04122018_133559.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 679
Reactions: AlexCa

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
By the way, what has changed since about 2 versions ago? I have "Windows Management Instrumentation" service disabled, to prevent fileless malware, so it generates tons of errors obviously (I just cancel them), but WRT used to start ASAP, now it sits there for about 4 mins, until it starts, so I guess, that timeout has increased? The first error, which comes after those 4 mins, is about free space.

I haven't made any changes in that portion of the program, no timeout increases. I've also just tested it (to disable the "Windows Management Instrumentation" service) in 2 computers running Windows 10 (one with SSD and the other without a regular HDD, just to make sure) and also in one VM running windows 7, and the result is that WRT will throw those alerts, but still starts fast, so my guess is that must be something else in your computer.

I guess this could be prevented, if WRT would remember "Minimal mode", but I understand, that this is not an issue, since most people do not disable that service, most likely noone except me, just wondering, if there is a workaround, like starting it with a parameter, like /minimal? :)

In the same folder where's the Windows Repair Toolbox executable, there's a file named "Windows_Repair_Toolbox (fast start, no monitors).bat". You can use it to start without monitors.

Or you can start Windows Repair Toolbox from cmd using the argument /safe , it's the same thing :)

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
In the same folder where's the Windows Repair Toolbox executable, there's a file named "Windows_Repair_Toolbox (fast start, no monitors).bat". You can use it to start without monitors.

Or you can start Windows Repair Toolbox from cmd using the argument /safe , its the same thing :)
Woaw, thanks. Now I just feel stupid, maybe I should download glasses or at least use a magnifying glass. :geek:

I had it a little complicated, since I am using a custom icon, but I have just added "/safe" to .lnk did that trick.
Code:
"E:\Software\Temp\Soft\Windows Repair Toolbox\Windows_Repair_Toolbox.exe" /safe

Attachments

• capture_04122018_145149.jpg
    capture_04122018_145149.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 661
Last edited:
Reactions: AlexCa

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Version 3.0.0.2 is available for download:

- Fixed: under some circumstances an error message relative to "WirelessKeyView" was still displayed after the "Update All" process was completed.

- Changed the DDU download (in the "Uninstallers" section), in order to adapt to the changes made in the packaging of that program in its latest version (17.0.8.5).

Thank you.

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hey guys, can you recommend me a tool to add to the "Repairs" section?

I need to remove "Chrome Cleanup Tool" because it has been discontinued as a standalone tool and integrated into Chrome:
chrome.JPG

Thanks.

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hi all,

I've just released version 3.0.0.3:

- In the "Repairs" section, replaced Chrome Cleanup Tool (that has been discontinued as a standalone tool and integrated into Chrome) with Account Profile Fixer.

- A label showing the information "Updating the tools... please wait" will now be shown when "Update All" button is clicked.

- Updated the 7-Zip components to version 18.05.

- Some other internal improvements and fixes.

Thank you.

Last edited:

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hi all, version 3.0.0.4 is now available:

- Added the ability to backup / restore the customization's added to the program.
- Fixed the "Stress Test" download, in the "Final Tests" tab.
- Some other internal improvements and fixes.

Thank you.

Reactions: harlan4096

AlexCa

Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Hi all, I've just released version 3.0.0.5 of Windows Repair Toolbox:

- Expanded the capabilities of the backup / restore customization's functionality: besides the "Branding" settings and the custom.xml file, it can now backup all the tools added to the "Custom Tools" tab. This allows you to quickly restore your customization's after downloading a new version of the program, or to more easily deploy those same customization's into other copy of WRT.

- Fixed: if the "AVLeftovers" window was closed in the middle of a scan (so, without the "Stop" button being clicked first), that scan would continue to run in the background, and an informative window would be displayed at the end.

- Fixed: an error that prevented a customization's backup to be saved to the root of the Windows Repair Toolbox directory (there are however, some sub-folders inside the Windows Repair Toolbox directory where the backup cannot be saved, that's intended).

- Fixed: a rare circumstance would still result in an "Root element is missing" error message at the program startup, or when manually checking for updates.

Thank you.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.