Troubleshoot Windows startup trouble - random PC booting after each pressing of the Power button

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
PC won't restart from GUI, needs multiple attempts to start after shutdown
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Ran sfc /scannow and DISM, disabled Intel Management Engine, uninstalled security softs and recovery app, deleted and merged partitions.
I need to clean install Windows 10 but I'm having trouble entering BIOS to change the boot order > USB. Is it possible to clean install W10 using MCT's setup.exe? :unsure: It looks to me like it only allows an in-place install with options to keep apps & files, files only or nothing at all. I've never clean installed Windows before but I'd prefer to as this would be the best option so I can wipe my entire disk.I'm not certain I can do this without entering BIOS, etc. TIA (y):)

L

Local Host

Back again with an update. I have my DVD with ISO ready to go but a I wanted a USB backup in case there is a problem. I ran the MCT and when finished I got an error code 0x080042405-0xa001b which is some sort of partition error. I formatted the USB and created an NTFS partition. Is this correct? I didn't do anything to the USB prior to my other installs. :unsure:
MCT tool formats the USB by default, put MCT inside the USB and run it from there (this solves most issues).

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

@oldschool

While this is definitely quite the journey which I am sure has been both very frustrating and annoying for you, on the bright side of things think of how much you have learned this last little while. I'm sure you have learned quite about about Windows and how to troubleshoot. You've learned new things just as how to perform a clean install, thanks to all the great feedback here and you have continuously stuck with it! No matter how this ends up (hopefully not needing a new computer), just remember you have learned a lot and built some new skills which will help you in the future!:)(y)

Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Shopping assistance is most welcome.
I really like HP's ProBook series of business laptops. You can buy refurbished ones very cheaply and the build quality is excellent. The EliteBook range has better quality than the ProBooks. On a lot of models, the bottom cover can be slid off to give easy access to the the RAM and SSD for easy upgrading and access to the cooling fan too. On my ProBooks, I can unscrew the fan, to easily remove dust from the air vent.

Upvote 0

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
These are the steps I usually do to fix my Windows problems:
0/ Scan for malwares with zemana portable version 2 (1 full scan and 1 custom "Users" scan) and NPE

1/ Find the error code (by bluescreenview and Event viewer) and follow the instructions NOT from Microsoft engineers. The instructions from users are much more specific and reliable
MS engineers simply copy and paste their answers and usually they never fix anything

2/ Run "sfc /scannow" and check disk/repair for drive C:

3/ Run "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" and then sfc /scannow", with or without sfcfix
for windows 7/vista, dism alternative is "System Update Readiness Tool" or CheckSUR. It's the same as dism

4/ use "Tweaking .com - Windows Repair Free portable" and perform some repairs" -> it may create other problems and may fix your problems

5/ Use "Wise registry cleaner" to clean up registry and then, registry defragmentation -> registry defrag DID fix some unfixable problems for me!!! and magically sped up my old PCs for unknown reasons

6/ Use "Last known good configurations" during boot -> it did fix a very serious BSOD for me yesterday (unbootable, only safe mode was bootable) when everything I tried above failed. Registry error 51 bsod
This is a gem that most people forget about. It has saved me countless of times

7/ Use System Restore or image backup

8/ Clean install Windows with a USB flash drive if there is no backup. Wipe the whole partition, I don't install on top of the previous version

9/ if everything fails, hardware intervention might be needed

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
First. attempt at restart failed. Have been unable to start manually.

Edit- Final verdict: Won’t boot up!
When you had a "working well" system with Windows 10 ver. 1809, then was it a fresh install or an upgrade from a lower version?
If it was not a fresh install, then your problem is still unsolved. When you make a fresh install then the factory drivers (Lenovo) are not installed and this can cause issues. When you upgrade, then the drivers from the previous Windows installation are used also in the upgraded Windows and often work well (but not always).
In your case the problem can cause the lack of factory drivers.

Of course, there can be also something wrong with the power management in your laptop (hardware issues). If the laptop is old then buying a new one is a quick & practical solution.:giggle:(y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
L

Local Host

If you looking to get a laptop,

Segment​
Model​
Price​
Lowrange​
Chuwi LapBook SE​
$280​
Lowrange​
Microsoft Surface Go​
$400​
Midrange​
Acer Swift 3​
$700​
Midrange​
Lenovo ThinkPad A485​
$700​
Highrange​
Dell XPS 15​
$1000​
Highrange​
Microsoft Surface Book 2​
$1300​

If I had to choose, I would go with Acer Swift 3.

Upvote 0

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Sorry, not really following this topic so sorry if repeating but is the boot problem occurring if you plug the laptop into the electrical outlet? If you don't want to tinker with what could be anything or more than one hardware piece, best of luck with finding a new machine. If not going online, maybe check out an open-box sale at your store but don't get any demos. In my dirty urban nabe, lots of homeless people hang around and play with the computers. :sick:

Out of sheer ignorance, I bought a floor sample years ago. It died a few days later with a ton of WHEA Logger warnings showing and someone's mystery account. Probably had been ill used for heavy gaming which its specs did not support.

Upvote 0

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I consider this laptop dead since it now will not boot at all. Looking for a new laptop as posted above.

Bummer.

My condolences on the death of your computer.

I really like HP's ProBook series of business laptops. You can buy refurbished ones very cheaply and the build quality is excellent. The EliteBook range has better quality than the ProBooks. On a lot of models, the bottom cover can be slid off to give easy access to the the RAM and SSD for easy upgrading and access to the cooling fan too. On my ProBooks, I can unscrew the fan, to easily remove dust from the air vent.

The new HPs with 'Sure Sense' look really interesting.

Upvote 0

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
@Raiden the time has come for a new laptop, I’m sorry to say. I’d like a < $400 intel, 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD + DVD. I’ve tried my best. Now I need some magic! :emoji_pray::emoji_fingers_crossed:

Shopping assistance is most welcome.

Lenovo IdeaPad S340 15.6" Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core i3 - 1080p

Model 81QF0002US
Online Price 499.99$

Less100.00$-
Your Price
399.99$
$399.99 After $100 OFF
$100 manufacturer's savings** is valid 6/26/19 through 7/28/19. While supplies last.
Shipping & Handling: $9.95*
Features:
  • Standard Backlit Keyboard
  • Bluetooth 4.1
  • 2x2W Speakers with Dolby® Audio Premium
  • 1x HDMI
Processor & Memory:
  • 8th Gen Intel® Core i3-8145U Processor 2.1GHz
  • 8GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM
Operating System:
  • Microsoft® Windows 10 (64 bit)
Drives:
  • 256GB M.2 NVMe Solid State Drive
  • No Optical Drive
Graphics & Video:
  • 15.6" Touchscreen LED-Backlit Full HD IPS (1920 x 1080) Display
  • Intel UHD Graphics 620

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.