Troubleshoot Windows startup trouble - random PC booting after each pressing of the Power button

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
PC won't restart from GUI, needs multiple attempts to start after shutdown
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Ran sfc /scannow and DISM, disabled Intel Management Engine, uninstalled security softs and recovery app, deleted and merged partitions.
I need to clean install Windows 10 but I'm having trouble entering BIOS to change the boot order > USB. Is it possible to clean install W10 using MCT's setup.exe? :unsure: It looks to me like it only allows an in-place install with options to keep apps & files, files only or nothing at all. I've never clean installed Windows before but I'd prefer to as this would be the best option so I can wipe my entire disk.I'm not certain I can do this without entering BIOS, etc. TIA (y):)

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Of course!

Oh good.... as one of our resident uBO experts, glad to see you still fully engaged with that fine capability.

1564532994170.png

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I’ll likely run only Windows Defender and VoodooShield on the new laptop and keep 3rd party apps to a minimum.

My 4GB pc is running on WD + vs + tinywall. I avoided third-party software because we wanted to simplify the environment recovery when doing a clean installation.:)

This is pretty much my approach now. I have a very tiny list of 3rd party AVs that I like and would use, but for the most part I'm more about keeping things simple. Especially with the improved protection from WD and W10 as a whole, it's getting harder and harder to justify 3rd party AVs IMO. Suppliment that with VS, OSA, H_C, etc... and I really doubt that anyone would get infected, not to mention creating a much more stable system IMHO.(y) Furthermore, I've also relied upon more built in features within Windows, ie: using the built in disk cleaner, instead of 3rd party programs, in order to keep things simple and stable. :):emoji_beer:

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.