Advice Request Windows Update History and AOMEI Backupper

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Hello! I have started using AOMEI Backupper Pro and imaged a clean installation of Windows to test the product. The restore process was smooth and fast but I noticed one weird thing: after restoration, Windows updates history was removed. Is this expected?

Reactions: Protomartyr

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Hello! I have started using AOMEI Backupper Pro and imaged a clean installation of Windows to test the product. The restore process was smooth and fast but I noticed one weird thing: after restoration, Windows updates history was removed. Is this expected?

Of course not, EVERYTHING should be the same as before.

Reactions: Divine_Barakah

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Weird I have restored two devices and the same: no update history. Anyone using AOMEI can confirm.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Interesting: I've been using imaging software for years & was always under the impression an image contained all info in C:\ for example & that's always been the case for me - You could use Macrium Reflect free, that has always retained all info, I'm pretty sure - Macruim is every bit as good as AOME maybe a little more complex to set up but that's all - Did AOME give any explanation for WU history being obliterated?

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
One strange thing is the desktop icon of AOMEI is white blank. Contacted support and they suggested I rebuild the Windows Icon Cache which I did but did not help. Any ideas?

Reactions: Cortex

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I was looking in the AOMEI settings, does the 'Full Backup' as apposed to the default 'intelligent sector' change anything? (I doubt it BTW)

Reactions: Divine_Barakah

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
AOMEI support suggested deleting this registry key before running a system backup
IMG_20200226_105208.jpg

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
AOMEI support is very friendly and efficient. AOMEI Backupper desktop icon was displayed incorrectly (blank white). I know the issue is related to icon cache. I have followed the instruction on Windows Central to rebuild Windows icon cache but, unfortunately, it did not work for me. Luckily, AOMEI support provided me with a .bat file that magically fixed the issue for me. I admit that at first I was afraid to run the file and then decided to do so as I have no other options.

Anyway, after going through Kerish Doctor's settings I found an option to fix "Icons are not displayed correctly" under "Maintenance" "Solving PC Problems". Unfortunately, I came across it after the issue had been fixed.

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
I spent at least 30 minutes to try to find the article I've read long time ago about this specific VSS quirk and why it's never been fixed. But I couldn't find it again. :sleep:
I found this knowledge base from Acronis instead.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I spent at least 30 minutes to try to find the article I've read long time ago about this specific VSS quirk and why it's never been fixed. But I couldn't find it again. :sleep:
I found this knowledge base from Acronis instead.
But as far as I remember AOMEI offers to use their own process and technology instead of VSS for the backup process. Have you ever tried it?

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
But as far as I remember AOMEI offers to use their own process and technology instead of VSS for the backup process. Have you ever tried it?
Sure I did. I used AOMEI Backupper Free for years until someone gifted me a Macrium Home license.
Unless they've made a change, AOMEI uses VSS by default. Did you make sure you configure AOMEI to use its own engine instead of VSS?
FYI that registry hack from AOMEI support appears in VSS official documentations. So obviously it has something to do with the VSS itself. Check the link below and you'll see it being mentioned there.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.