JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello
Yesterday Windows update (KB3213986) fails and today I try again but it fails too.
Is it a known issue or a problem on my PC.
I think that there is a problem on my PC because this KB installed without problem on my other PCs.
Thanks
WU1.PNG

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
True, but if you solely are to disable your security software for a Windows Updates, then you can turn it back on afterwards. Third-party security allow their protection to be disabled for x number of minutes before being re-enabled automatically. If you or another entity does disable Windows Defender on Windows 10, you'll receive a toast notification warning the user of the recent changes.

On-topic @JB007

I found this:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/31...d-kb-3210721-have-multi-monitor-problems.html
Windows 10 build 14393.693 released for all PC and Mobile users • /r/Windows10
Changelog: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4009938/january-10-2017-kb3213986-os-build-14393-693
Hello @Spawn
Thanks for the links.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
Upvote 0

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Most of what I am seeing are suggesting to run the Update Repair tool here: aka.ms/diag_wu
But seeing it's an install issue I suspect this wont help and that its a 3rd party app preventing installation.
Sorry I could not be of more help JB, good luck brother.
PS: Thank You @Spawn ;)
Thanks @_CyberGhosT_
Sorry for the delay but Sunday and Monday I was very busy;)
I just try to install after disabling Avast and HitmanPro.Alert but the problem is still the same:(

Upvote 0

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Welcome to Windows 10... Every update on Windows 10 causes me problems too - when I first got Windows 10 I couldn't install any updates at all. To fix the problem I had to manually download them myself through their website.

Here is the link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4000825/windows-10-update-history
Hello,
My problem with the installation of KB3213986 is still continuing and I will try the following solution: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3213986) fails to install - Error 0x80073701 .
I have downloaded KB3206632 and KB3213986 but I cannot definitely uninstall KB3206632 ; when I reboot this KB appears again as installed !
What can I do to uninstall it definitely ?
Thanks.
MAJ1.PNG

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Disable your 3rd party security software & try.
Dont do any surfing on the system during updates. And Windows Defender & Firewall will be enabled on disabling 3rd party security software so not much prob.

If the prob is not solved, I would suggest to uninstall 3rd party security software & give a try.

Dont know if it would help But you may try & run chkdsk & sfc /scannow to see any errors or corruptions

You may try -

• Type: troubleshooting in the search > Go to System and Security > Tap Fix problems with Windows Update;
  • Tick Advanced > Enable and check Apply repairs automatically;
  • Tap: Run as administrator (you may have to enter your pass-code firstly) > Then click Next to finish the process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JB007
Upvote 0

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Disable your 3rd party security software & try.
Dont do any surfing on the system during updates. And Windows Defender & Firewall will be enabled on disabling 3rd party security software so not much prob.

If the prob is not solved, I would suggest to uninstall 3rd party security software & give a try.

Dont know if it would help But you may try & run chkdsk & sfc /scannow to see any errors or corruptions

You may try -

• Type: troubleshooting in the search > Go to System and Security > Tap Fix problems with Windows Update;
  • Tick Advanced > Enable and check Apply repairs automatically;
  • Tap: Run as administrator (you may have to enter your pass-code firstly) > Then click Next to finish the process.
Hi @Yash Khan
Thanks+++:)
Sorry for the delay but I have taken holidays out of home.
I apologize but I'm not able to apply your solution:oops:
Please can you give me more explanations ?

Upvote 0

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
My problem is continuing with the new Windows update KB4013429.
WU18032017.PNG

Upvote 0

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
Maybe the "Windows 10 creators update" could solve my problem ?
What is your opinion ?

Upvote 0

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
I would also try this:

1. Open a command prompt with administrative privileges (run as administrator the cmd)
  2. Type this: sfc /scannow
  3. Run the command, wait for it to finish (or follow any instructions that may pop up)
  4. Run windows update again (if step 3 finds/fixes anything)

Upvote 0

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
I would also try this:

1. Open a command prompt with administrative privileges (run as administrator the cmd)
  2. Type this: sfc /scannow
  3. Run the command, wait for it to finish (or follow any instructions that may pop up)
  4. Run windows update again (if step 3 finds/fixes anything)
Hello,
Thanks @Amelith Nargothrond
I tried sfc/scannow but found nothing.
1.PNG

Reactions: Amelith Nargothrond
Upvote 0

ras74

Level 2
Verified
May 11, 2014
Hello,
Thanks @Amelith Nargothrond
I tried sfc/scannow but found nothing.
View attachment 145854
Hi,

I would also like to chip-in on this discussion, as I am totally appalled by how Microsoft is (not) handling this problem.

Last week my sister called to ask how she could fix this "hanging installation of an update". I told her that I could check it out over the weekend, and I have now spent most of my weekend to try to get this KB3213986 update to install.

It's now Sunday evening (CET) and it still has not worked. Tried the DISM ScanHealth (reporting 100% ok), SFC Scannow (also reporting 100% ok), all to no avail.

I even tried to "reinstall" Windows 10 to keep the installed applications intact, but that also didn't work.

Also tried the Windows Update Troubleshooter, manually clearly the WU cache, etc... nothing works.

Worst of all, Windows Update is totally sealed on Windows 10 Home since the Anniversary Update.

So what Microsoft has now effectively given my sister is a defective laptop where she is forced to see the update try and fail (taking 2-3 hours!) every time she tries to shut down her laptop.

It is not possible to block this update, and Windows Update is stupid enough to still try to install it every time again. Your hands as a customer/user are tied!

And when you want to check the Windows Update log, you see thousands of "No Format Information found" lines, apparently a Windows Update Log corruption issue that appeared in the 1511 version (Windows 10 1607 - Windows Update).

The "solution" for now is that I disabled the Windows Update Service so it will not try to download and install it again.

It's not ideal for sure as Windows Defender now also cannot get its updates.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.