Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Today whilst doing a clean W7 SP1 Reinstall and a W10 Pro Reinstall, for some reason on both machines somehow the windows update was not fully functional.

A bit of research and came across this tool, which downloaded the relevant updates (progress in command line window):
WSUS Offline Update - Update Microsoft Windows and Office without an Internet connection

Using "WSUS Offline Update", you can update any computer running Microsoft Windows and Office safely, quickly and without an Internet connection.
Please note the patch coverage information.

Edit: When before downloading, select folder for USB (so updates are in the folder).

Then launch the exe inside the created folder.

Also works for W8.1 as well as Office versions etc.

Last edited:

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
One small disclaimer:
If you are running Windows 8 (not 8.1), you will not be able to update to 8.1 using this tool. Please bear that in mind.

Also, if you do not select any USB destination, the updates and the installer exe will be in the folder of WSUS parent folder, under the folder Client. (pretty sure at some point someone will ask about it).

Reactions: Ink

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For those unaware, the Windows 8.1 Upgrade can be performed via the Windows Store. If you are not running 8.1, then I suggest that you upgrade as soon as possible.

Reactions: Noxx

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
For those unaware, the Windows 8.1 Upgrade can be performed via the Windows Store. If you are not running 8.1, then I suggest that you upgrade as soon as possible.
I have 1 W8 yet to upgrade to 8.1 due to hardly using it. Thanks for the reminder. I have the updates already ready for w7 w8.1 and w10 (all in separate folders on my USB stick).

A

Alkajak

I've used this every time I've gone back to Windows 7. The only foolproof way of doing updates without getting stuck.

WSUS Offline Update - Update Microsoft Windows and Office without an Internet connection

Modifications in version 10.6.3
- Added scan prerequisite update kb3161664 (MS16-073) (Thanks to "Denniss" and "Dalai")
- C++ 2013 Redistributable Runtime Libraries updated to v. 12.0.40649.5 (Thanks to "harry")
- Aria2 download utility updated to v. 1.23.0 (Thanks to "harry")
- DownloadUpdates.cmd script will now also support x64 variant of Sysinternals' Sigcheck tool v. 2.51+ (Thanks to "harry")
- Fix: Querying state of service 'Windows Update' (wuauserv) could fail on foreign systems (Thanks to P. Pellegrini)
- Fix: Errors on running version check fired misleading new version notifications (Thanks to "Telli")
- Fix: Renamed md5deep to hashdeep in Linux script DownloadUpdates.sh (Thanks to B. Marwell)
- Fix: Replaced superseded Visio 2010 Security Update kb3114402 (MS16-004) by kb3114872 (MS16-070)
- Fix: Replaced superseded Visio 2016 Security Update kb3114511 (MS16-004) by kb3115041 (MS16-070)
- Fix: FAQs enhanced and corrected (Thanks to "jonas" and "aker")

Reactions: Soulbound
H

hjlbx

@Inkura, @Umbra

I tried the utility with W8.1. The offline installer only downloads and installs about 60 % of the available updates - which, I guess - is still a big time saver.

It's not the updates themselves, but the Microsoft Update server connection time that causes the big delay; if there is a quick connection, then it isn't usually too much of an inconvenience.

Still, the utility saved me an hour or more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.