Windscribe's new feature R.O.B.E.R.T (server side malware and ad-blocking)

Andrew999

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
How good is Windscribe when travelling to Europe? Which server do you recommend to use?
Yes, Windscribe servers are very good in Europe, especially Norway, Lithuania, Estonia, Germany etc. They are very stable and work well. I guess other ones do too, but those I have tried the ones mentioned above and had no problems what so ever. I would say they are much faster than servers in Asia and maybe even America.

Reactions: Genux

Andrew999

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
Neither excubits.com nor xsecantivirus.com are blocked. Must be something else.
Seems as if it is another domain, not those
1543032747146.png

This is the address: xsecantivirus-1257588080.cos.ap-beijing.myqcloud.com
When I just use Malware blocking or disable VPN it downloads fine. Seems as if Ads & Trackers protection is blocking it.

Reactions: harlan4096

windscribe

From Windscribe
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Dec 28, 2016
That doesn't appear to be blocked either. You can check yourself by doing an nslookup while connected. If it doesn't come back as 0.0.0.0 then it's not blocked.

Are you sure your anti-virus should be connecting to Beijing? Considering the type of stuff that happens in China...?

Enabling the Fake News filter blocks most conservative news websites, but leaves left leaning websites alone...

Time to look for a new VPN.

Reactions: rsonic

rsonic

Level 2
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
Who the hell thought "Hm, I'd love if WINDSCRIBE vetted what is truth and what isn't for me". I'll still use it, since I have lifetime, but makes you think.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Enabling the Fake News filter blocks most conservative news websites, but leaves left leaning websites alone...

Time to look for a new VPN.
You do realise you can simply disable the feature under R.O.B.E.R.T settings for full, unrestricted web access.

Also try Malwarebytes Browser Extension to block Clickbait sites (example: DailyMail.co.uk).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.