Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Version 5.91

1. Dialogs are centered inside of WinRAR window similarly to WinRAR 5.80
and not inside of entire screen as in WinRAR 5.90.

2. When editing an archived file with external software, extra measures
are taken to reduce the probability of interfering with editor
and opening its temporary files while editor still may need them.

3. "Version to extract" field in archive properties opened from
Windows Explorer context menu provides the additional information
about ZIP compression and encryption algorithms, such as LZMA or AES.
This information was already available in WinRAR "Info" command,
but missed in archive information accessible from Windows Explorer.

4. "MS DOS" and "Unix" host OS types are recognized and included
for LZH archives in "Info" command. Previously the host OS field
was always "Unknown" for LZH archive format.

5. Files created by external editor and matching "Settings/Viewer/
Ignore modifications for" masks are never added to archive.
Previously WinRAR still added them if some file not matching
these masks was also created or modified.
Source: WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files
Download: WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
They are just glad people use their software. Even if they don't buy it after the end of the trial. Here is a snippet of the article from TorrentFreak;
Speaking with TorrentFreak, a representative from WinRAR’s marketing team couldn’t immediately elaborate on the specifics of the DMCA notice but noted that people shouldn’t really have a need to pirate its product.

“Indeed this is an interesting case, as we also don’t see the necessity of using a pirated version of WinRAR instead of our trial version. We know that our licensing policy for end customers is not as strict as with other software publishers, but for us it is still important that WinRAR is being used, even if the trial period might be over,” the representative said.

“From a legal perspective, everybody should buy at the end of the trial, but we still think that at least uncompressing content should be still possible as unrar.exe is open source anyway.”

The company also highlighted the existence of cartoons and memes on the Internet which relate to WinRAR’s indefinite trial, noting that “we like all of them and it meets our sense of humor.”

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
The really strange thing is I built a new PC & reinstall a couple of months ago (maybe a little more) - I've used Winrar for encrypting some text files etc & though I used the same system as always & latest download it wouldn't work, whatever I did - In the end I used 7-Zip & worked OK - After reading the post by Marko :) I downloaded latest version & all is well again, strange?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.