Verified
Well-known
May 27, 2013
Untitled.jpg

Dodo

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Backdoors are also useful. Surprise! ;) :sneaky: :LOL:
True, how many of the former Wisevector users have checked whether a driver was left behind, not active but waiting to be misused. Hackers don't need to BYO vulnarable driver as the driver's are already signed and just laying there whispering 'activate and abuse me' :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Wow. I am sorry late to the game but what did I miss? Was WV a Chinese gov spyware masquerading as an actual removal tool?
The developer had to fend off this accusation before. Example I mean: the chief developer charmed so many here and at Wilders, gathering many supporters and testers. Some felt "used" afterward as the developer then let the product slide and gave a terse, canned explanation only after several months of radio silence--saying the focus was now on enterprise products. I think like the Kaspersky thing there was concern that WV could be subverted by its respective government. I just don't think in this case there were enough users of the product to justify that. Certainly WAY less than Kaspersky's base.

There's another Chinese product here as well: Huorong Internet Security. Is that maintained as well? Anyone still using it?

It's hard not to draw a line or two between WiseVector and the TikTok revelation, especially with current news events.

Edit: I just REALLY noticed this for the first time. WiseVector never got a Developer's title on his avatar at Wilders. He had the "Registered Member" designation, like almost everyone else. You can see this in the embedded link in the "Example" above.:unsure:

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

My little bit sarcastic post about vulnerable or obsolete driver misuse, was not because I don't trust Russian or Chinese software. I prefer EU software over five eyes software and five eyes software over software from other countries. My tongue in cheek response was triggered by the suspicion WiseVectorX initially faced here at MT, but as @plat mentioned as soon as the WVX representative said all is well, this suspicion turned around into affection.

I did not understand the process and had to laugh about it. It is like asking a car salesmen whether he can be and his cars can be trusted? I can't imagine any car sales man telling their customers: "No you can't trust and our cars are very unreliable". How many people would have volunteered to test drive WVX when the representative had said that? Off course he/she would be telling that all is well. (y);)

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Wow. I am sorry late to the game but what did I miss? Was WV a Chinese gov spyware masquerading as an actual removal tool?
It is important to note that unless the software is reverse engineered (and even if it is), it is very difficult to say what WiseVector or any other AV for that matter, collects and how it is used after so it is all speculations.

However, I find it extremely suspicious that they appeared out of the blue, made a lot of noise and then disappeared like smoke. They are saying enterprise version now will be released but I have doubts. In an ocean of enterprise products, which “enterprise” will pay solid amount for WiseVector?
And also, they suspended the home version but where is the enterprise one? There is no beta version/prototype or anything to suggest that such version is about to be released.

In my opinion, there was a reason for this software to be released and maintained for a certain period of time. The software has now served its purpose and we won’t hear about WiseVector again.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
The product was talked about here since late 2018

So it isn’t like the product appeared one day and the next year it was gone.

Reactions: [correlate]

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
how many of the former Wisevector users have checked whether a driver was left behind, not active but waiting to be misused
I'm sure quite a few (MT folk are a suspicious bunch). It's barely an inconvenience to follow what is being dropped during an install process, and also to monitor telemetry.

And actually WV worked quite well even in the absence of a network connection.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
monitor telemetry
That’s absolutely impossible, layers and layers of encryption can be implemented there “for security reasons” and what you will “monitor” will be similar to opening an *.exe with notepad. If anybody believes they have knowledge of antivirus telemetry, they need to stop living in a lie. Reading the NextDNS logs hardly accounts for cracking the telemetry.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
True, how many of the former Wisevector users have checked whether a driver was left behind, not active but waiting to be misused. Hackers don't need to BYO vulnarable driver as the driver's are already signed and just laying there whispering 'activate and abuse me' :cool:

fwiw, I uninstalled wvsx from a win10 about 2 months ago, and it did NOT go gently. Made me suspect...

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

I'm sure quite a few (MT folk are a suspicious bunch). It's barely an inconvenience to follow what is being dropped during an install process, and also to monitor telemetry.

And actually WV worked quite well even in the absence of a network connection.
Okay, so you could check that WVX removed everything it installed with your file change logs? (y)

Must be reassuring for people who installed WVX and did not use an uninstaller to monitor what files WSX dropped and what registry keys were changed. Thanks for reporting al is safe (y)

As posted earlier I was just teasing former WVX fans :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.