Deprecated WiseVector Free AI Driven Security

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Hello! I have a suggestion:

I am currently scanning. I have set the Heuristic Analysis to Aggressive, and so far that has generated a few "Heur" detections. And I'm thinking: "Which of these is due to the Aggressive Heuristic Analysis setting?" Because it stands to reason that files that would've triggered Low are more suspicious than files that have triggered Aggressive.

It would be nice to have the Heur level that triggered the detection displayed.

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015

I am currently scanning. I have set the Heuristic Analysis to Aggressive, and so far that has generated a few "Heur" detections. And I'm thinking: "Which of these is due to the Aggressive Heuristic Analysis setting?" Because it stands to reason that files that would've triggered Low are more suspicious than files that have triggered Aggressive.

Since, Heuristic Analysis is effective only with static scanning. Wouldn't user be aware which detection is due to Aggressive.

Generally, setting on Aggressive, WiseVector StopX can detect more suspicious files during static scanning, but there might be more false positives. Therefore setting on Normal or High is appropriate for most users. The settings will be effective when you perform static scanning only.
WiseVector StopX FAQ

Last edited:

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
Why? There's next to no official assessment of how WVSX performs relative to other security products. When its performance can be measured against others in a thorough test then other 'safety nets' may be discarded. At the moment though whilst it looks decent there's little information out there on performance, privacy and indeed that the product is even safe to use for anyone but early adopters and those competent to really assess how well it works. I've tried it and it caused sporadic problems ~ blocking trusted program launches without so much as an alert ~ but wouldn't have done so without at least WD running too. The program is still in development so issues are to be expected so I'm not knocking it but understand why users would want to layer protection.
IMO ~ "early adopters and those competent to really assess how well it works" would run WiseVector StopX solo...to really access how well it works. Just me.
WiseVector StopX is compatible with most other security software. However, it is not recommended to install multiple AV on the same computer, so as to avoid possible conflicts and high system resource usage.
WiseVector StopX FAQ

Last edited:

WiseVector

From WiseVector
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 14, 2018

Hi,
Thanks for your suggestion. We would like to add more info in the alerts gradually in the future.
Good day!

WiseVector

From WiseVector
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 14, 2018
Hello! I am happy to see the development of your product making progress. Often when security software companies start working on implementing a firewall into their product, they really seem to rush it. I have used just about every firewall over the years, and can honestly say that for every one product that gets a feature right, 10 other products fail on that same feature. It is very hard to find a solution that 'checks all the boxes' and has a nice graphical user interface to go along with it.

Here is what I would recommend you focus on:

1. Don't rush the production of the firewall module, take your time and get it right. There are tons of them out there. I recommend focusing on making one that stands out.

2. Take a very close look at Little Snitch (for MacOS) Little Snitch 4 and try to implement all of the beneficial user interface features you can. There are very few firewalls for Windows that have the features that LittleSnitch does. Another one to take a look at is Glasswire (GlassWire - Personal Firewall & Network Monitor). A lot of the people using Glasswire are trying to find a Windows version of LittleSnitch, but it fails them in a lot of ways. If you could successfully implement all of the interface features these have, you would really have something that would appeal to a lot of people, I am certain of this. If you are willing to take the time to read through this list of Glasswire user feature requests, and focus on some of those, it would help you get a good idea of what people are looking for: Future Feature Requests! Unfortunately, the Glasswire developers really seem to ignore a lot of the requests, even though they are sorely needed.

3. Include quality stateful packet filtering, fragmented traffic, protocol analysis, anti-arp spoofing, ipv6, anti-DDOS, etc. Many 'firewalls' now days are really weak in this regard and don't do much other than allow/black programs access to the internet. I think it is really important to have very strong packet filtering. It needs to be stronger than Windows Firewall, or people will switch to any of the number of WFW management software already out there (Private Winten, Windows Firewall Control, Glasswire, etc.). It is good to have a nice interface to allow/black, but incoming packet filtering is very important.

4. Offer alternative modes. Some users will want to be able to be prompted and customize the rules on-the-fly using the prompt, while other users will want to simply allow or block access. Take a close look at the differences between ESET firewall, Kaspersky firewall, Comodo firewall, etc. Glean what you can from them and come up with something powerful, yet sleek. The default prompt should be very simple, but it should also have a button somewhere in the prompt that expands the prompt and displays more detailed information, and allows for greater customization.

5. Integrate it into some sort of white-list, but allow users to enable/disable this feature. Some users will love the majority of software they use being auto-whitelisted and not getting prompts, while other users will want to opt-out and handle the prompts themselves. Kaspersky firewall/application control is really nice in that it not only does this, but also clearly displays the user-ratings for the program in question. If someone is 95% sure they want to allow something, and sees that over 1,000 other users also allowed it, and that it is very common software, it is very re-assuring. Comodo and other firewalls also allow automatic white-listing of software that are signed by certain software companies, such as Microsoft, etc. It is a nice feature to have for the average user, and greatly reduces pop-ups.

6. I really believe that the more you interact with users in forums like these, as you develop the firewall, and really listen to user-feedback and ideas, you will end up with a rock-solid firewall. Sadly, a lot of software development companies start off doing this, and when they start getting some sales, they quickly loose interest. If you can maintain an active relationship with the forum security communities, you will be in really good hands. The majority of users that bother reading/posting in these forums have a lot of experience with a wide variety of firewall software and will have a lot of good ideas for the interface. Unfortunately, a lot of developers seem to be working on a really nice firewall, and part way through get burned out. I am no programmer, but I really think that firewalls are a lot more work than most developers originally think. Unless you are willing to go the extra mile, it is probably a complete waste of time to bother at all, since there are so many alternative solutions out there. Your WiseVector seems to have some unique attributes going for it, so the firewall should stand out as well, especially if you want it to be the reason people are willing to pay for your software.
Thank you so much for your suggestion with these details.
Acturally, we are going to develop the network protection being a complementary of our behavior detection, not a stand alone firewall.
So with network protection, deep memory inspection, thread hijack detection, events monitoring, WVSX can detect whitelisted applications abusing which other traditional firewalls can't.
We will consider your suggestions in future development, Thanks.

Best Regards,
WiseVector

SomeRandomCat

Level 3
Well-known
Dec 23, 2020
Thank you so much for your suggestion with these details.
Acturally, we are going to develop the network protection being a complementary of our behavior detection, not a stand alone firewall.
So with network protection, deep memory inspection, thread hijack detection, events monitoring, WVSX can detect whitelisted applications abusing which other traditional firewalls can't.
We will consider your suggestions in future development, Thanks.

Best Regards,
WiseVector
Sounds like it will be a HIPS?

WiseVector

From WiseVector
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 14, 2018
Are you planning to implement any sort of web-filtering into your products? Sorry if the question has been asked before.

Side note: I have uploaded a threat to you via the in-product tool, please have a proper look at it.
It's not detected even with heuristics set to aggressive and is quite old. It's very minor anyway.
SHA256: c127aa72874c5df21048c151de4ea444d80784b539d35ce50c2c9bb0197584eb
Thanks for your report. It's a PUP installer. Now we have added the detection.
Yes, web-filtering will be a part of our network protection.:)

SomeRandomCat

Level 3
Well-known
Dec 23, 2020
In the future, there will be a manual mode HIPS and users can add some customizable rules.
I see. So, you are going to have HIPS-Like features in the Firewall, but only related to whether or not certain programs can access the internet or not? Basically, a 'leak-proof' firewall, that cannot be tricked?

Back when Jetico firewall was active, this is how they did things, and they would have nice notification/prompts saying things like "Product A is trying to use Product B to access the internet, do you whish to allow this?", Etc.

WiseVector

From WiseVector
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 14, 2018
@WiseVector Would you please add "WiseVector StopX V2.70" changelog into Release History page on the site? thanks ;)
Hi,
It's V2.7 Beta and experienced users can have a try.
Some bugs have been confirmed so far. Thanks for the testing of our users. Update log will be added when our next version is released.
Here is the info about V2.7 Beta:
1. Added lightweight rollback to roll back changes caused by some destructive malware, such as ransomware. This feature has been designed to remain lightweight and users can hardly notice any performance degradation.
2. Redesigned the real-time file monitoring, it is more sensitive and faster than before.
3. Redesigned the Behavior Detection. Now the Behavior Detection can identify more unknown file infector viruses, being more capable of detecting advanced threats.
4. Improved Memory Protection to detect RAT trojan abuses legitimate processes to hide their malicious implants, such as Gh0st, Meterpreter and CobaltStrike.
5. Malware quarantine is now sorted by date. Quarantine reason is added.
6. The UI is not transparent now, so that the interface can be displayed more clearly. Some new skins are added.
7. Improved the ability to delete malicious files being locked.
8. Now users can select whether or not to automatically download and install program updates.

Last edited:

WiseVector

From WiseVector
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 14, 2018
I see. So, you are going to have HIPS-Like features in the Firewall, but only related to whether or not certain programs can access the internet or not? Basically, a 'leak-proof' firewall, that cannot be tricked?
Currently our HIPS is in automatic mode based AI. In the future, there will be a maximize mode (experienced users can choose to block suspicious behavior or not ).
there might also be a default-deny mode.
Back when Jetico firewall was active, this is how they did things, and they would have nice notification/prompts saying things like "Product A is trying to use Product B to access the internet, do you whish to allow this?", Etc.
"Product A is trying to use Product B to access the internet", It seems that B is a legit program being abused by A. this can be blocked by our behavior detection. So it don't have a chance to connect internet.

WiseVector

From WiseVector
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 14, 2018
Good day! Are you planning to do HIPS entirely manually or will there be an automatic option?
Currently our HIPS is in automatic mode based AI. In the future, there will be a maximize mode (experienced users can choose to block suspicious behavior or not ).
there might also be a default-deny mode.

SomeRandomCat

Level 3
Well-known
Dec 23, 2020
maybe it's me, but why is everyone trying to turn this product into a firewall.... if it ain't broke don't fix it.... it does what it does really well... I fear it will become a jack of all trades, but a master of none... KISS! just thinking out loud!
They stated on their own that they plan to implement Firewall (and some HIPS) features. All of us commenting are trying to learn information about how these features will be implemented, and give our feedback on them. I do agree with you about the 'jack of all trades, master of none' thing though, which is why I'm asking so many questions and making so many suggestions. If they implement everything properly, it would complement what they already have, but it would indeed be very poor choice for them to make if they cannot maintain and continue developing their core features. Any FW/HIPS features suit anti-malware really good, if done right. It does seem that they are trying to keep the default configuration simple, so you would probably not have an issue with their feature upgrades as long as they had proper quality control.

WiseVector

From WiseVector
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 14, 2018
maybe it's me, but why is everyone trying to turn this product into a firewall.... if it ain't broke don't fix it.... it does what it does really well... I fear it will become a jack of all trades, but a master of none... KISS! just thinking out loud!
Hi,
Developing a network protection is our own plan. It will be a complementary of our behavior detection, not a stand alone firewall.
So with network protection, deep memory inspection, thread hijack detection, events monitoring, WVSX can detect whitelisted applications abusing which other traditional firewalls can't.:)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.