WiseVector

From WiseVector
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 14, 2018
Hi WiseVector,

The dlls aren't particularly big. I got a 2015 Lenovo Thinkpad laptop that was fresh install Win10Pro 1903 and used the Lenovo System Driver updater. Pretty sure the Intel drivers are rather old from 2015-2016. WiseVector might not have seem these files before. I'm not too worry since everything is installed and working probably using only WiseVector.
Hi minhgi,

Thanks for your reply.
Does WiseVector StopX still work slowly when scanning the dlls after the first scan?

Regards,
WiseVector

WiseVector

From WiseVector
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 14, 2018
Can i use WiseVector as a standalone-av? how does it works with other free av's like avast or panda?
Hi amico81,

WiseVector StopX is designed to be used alone. At present, I think you'd better install a Browser Extension to prevent from phishing website when you access to internet.
It can work well with most other AVs. A few users told us there was a problem when using WiseVector StopX with Avast Premium, but we haven't reproduce the issue.

Regards,
WiseVector

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Last malware pack just posted by @silversurfer today... :eek:

WV1.pngWV2.png

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Last special sample (MegaCortex Ransomware) just posted by @Der.Reisende yesterday:

WV.png
I performed a quick test and the results (WV set in Auto Quarantine):

WV1.pngWV3.png

WV2.pngWV4.png

WV detected/deleted several dropped/spawned exe files in C:\Windows\Temp\ but 903 files were encrypted in different system folders... BUT Users Documents and WV bait folders (inside Documents folder) were protected , files in my bait folder placed in drive root folder (outside User Space) were encrypted also:

WV5.pngWV6.png
The malware remained running (but in Access Denied status) on system still trying to encrypt probably other systems folders, it did not set any registry in Windows AutoRuns sections, I rebooted and the malware did not run any more...

The sample is already detected on demand/upon extraction:

WV7.png

Last edited:

WiseVector

From WiseVector
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 14, 2018
Last special sample (MegaCortex Ransomware) just posted by @Der.Reisende yesterday:

I performed a quick test and the results (WV set in Auto Quarantine):

WV detected/deleted several dropped/spawned exe files in C:\Windows\Temp\ but 903 files were encrypted in different system folders... BUT Users Documents and WV bait folders (inside Documents folder) were protected , files in my bait folder placed in drive root folder (outside User Space) were encrypted also:

The malware remained running (but in Access Denied status) on system still trying to encrypt probably other systems folders, it did not set any registry in Windows AutoRuns sections, I rebooted and the malware did not run any more...

The sample is already detected on demand/upon extraction:

Hi harlan4096,

Really appreciate your testing.
We have analyzed this sample. WiseVector StopX detected it but it worked so fast and encrypted a few unimportant files. There is no excuse that we should get WiseVector StopX improved to block this kind of ransomware completely.:emoji_fist:
Meanwhile, I suggest users enable Document Protection to protect important files and no need to exclude applications manually after then, which can help users to keep from ransomware efficiently.

Regards,
WiseVector

WiseVector

From WiseVector
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 14, 2018
i like to see your product on top of 360 Ai.you deserve it
Hi Sunshine-boy,

Thanks for your encouragement.
Of course, we are trying our best to be one of the most professional AV companies worldwide.
However, if you are in China, you know well that some companies receive awards not only because they have high-tech but also something else...:unsure:

Regards,
WiseVector

MalwareTypes

Level 1
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
I'm giving this a test drive and liking it so far.

One thing, @WiseVector: I noticed than when opening programs such as XYplorer, mpv or AIMP, and I notice a spike in CPU usage that I don't see when using Windows native programs, for example Windows explorer. This just happens when opening said programs but the lag is noticeable.

Could you guys check into it? Or, is this a byproduct of it being an AI driven program?

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
bug report:
- When I do a right-click to a folder and select "scan with Wisevector" -> WV doesn't show the scan popup, I have to click on WV tray icon and it shows up (its popup minimizes)
Observed same.
-
Tested WiseVector StopX against URLhaus Database.
WiseVector did not detect the same (file types - extension) samples that Norton did not detect.
Sent samples to virus(@)wisevector.com

Last edited:

WiseVector

From WiseVector
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 14, 2018
I'm giving this a test drive and liking it so far.

One thing, @WiseVector: I noticed than when opening programs such as XYplorer, mpv or AIMP, and I notice a spike in CPU usage that I don't see when using Windows native programs, for example Windows explorer. This just happens when opening said programs but the lag is noticeable.

Could you guys check into it? Or, is this a byproduct of it being an AI driven program?
Hi MalwareTypes,

Is it the first time you opening these programs while using WiseVector StopX?

Thanks,
WiseVector

WiseVector

From WiseVector
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 14, 2018
Observed same.
-
Tested WiseVector StopX against URLhaus Database.
WiseVector did not detect the same (file types - extension) samples that Norton did not detect.
Sent samples to virus(@)wisevector.com
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.
All the samples are effective when running in Linux and they are harmless when being in Windows.
At present, WiseVector StopX only detect malware in Windows. :giggle:

Regards,
WiseVector

MalwareTypes

Level 1
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
Hi MalwareTypes,

Is it the first time you opening these programs while using WiseVector StopX?

Thanks,
WiseVector

It happens each time I close and open the program or a new file again. If I add them to the Exclusions list, then the programs open instantly; but when I take them out of the list, it takes just a moment too long for them to open and you can clearly see a spike in WiseVector service CPU usage. OTOH, Chrome opens faster for example.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.