Votes: 6 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Intel Security is offering all new and existing customers a premium subscription at no cost.
"Subscription" denotes a temporal limit. What is your source? This is what I found:

To celebrate our acquisition by Intel Security, we’re giving all current and new users six months of free PasswordBox Premium with access to all of the features and additional storage space.
cf. http://customersupport.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=IN10001

And I still don't know what the differences are; Premium may come with bloat I don't want.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I am using Chrome extension LastPass without binary. There is LastPass with binary too. Whats the difference? Am I missing something important regards to functions or security?
@yesnoo, security & function are equal across the boards.
With the free binary app there is some added convenience (being able to log in the same account w/o logging a separate computer out) and an incrementally quicker feel noticed on our systems are the only differences I've noted.:)

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
"Subscription" denotes a temporal limit. What is your source? This is what I found:

To celebrate our acquisition by Intel Security, we’re giving all current and new users six months of free PasswordBox Premium with access to all of the features and additional storage space.
cf. http://customersupport.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=IN10001

And I still don't know what the differences are; Premium may come with bloat I don't want.
Do you see any place where it says, "Pay xxxxx amount?" :D

https://blog.passwordbox.com/2014/12/01/the-future-is-bright-passwordbox-joins-intel-security/

D

Deleted member 2913

@yesnoo, security & function are equal across the boards.
With the free binary app there is some added convenience (being able to log in the same account w/o logging a separate computer out) and an incrementally quicker feel noticed on our systems are the only differences I've noted.:)
Ok...then I am good without binary.
Does with binary installs something on the system or adds something to the browser only?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Ok...then I am good without binary.
Does with binary installs something on the system or adds something to the browser only?
Yes, while it works without the binary, with the binary all browsers, except for IE, still require the browser extension. With Firefox (on both Windows 7 & 8.1) LastPass felt more responsive and, similarly to flash & browser updates, changes to the system showed no adverse effects. IE treats the binary as an add on with the LastPass symbol displayed on an unobtrusive tool bar I was
:eek:surprise to find I actually like!:D

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
The binary is for authentication challenge/response pop-ups (like your router using NTLM).
Do you see any place where it says, "Pay xxxxx amount?"
Argument from absence (fallacious) and argument from silence (not fallacious) aren't the same thing.
I see where it says it's free for now (from "Read more..." on main page):

You can still download PasswordBox today and enjoy a free premium subscription for the coming months, compliments of Intel Security
My guess is that they are giving it away until Intel restructures/redefines the product and its pricing. I'm neither interested nor recommend temporary freebies unless it is a product under serious consideration for purchase anyway.

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
The binary is for authentication challenge/response pop-ups (like your router using NTLM).

Argument from absence (fallacious) and argument from silence (not fallacious) aren't the same thing.
I see where it says it's free for now (from "Read more..." on main page):

You can still download PasswordBox today and enjoy a free premium subscription for the coming months, compliments of Intel Security
My guess is that they are giving it away until Intel restructures/redefines the product and its pricing. I'm neither interested nor recommend temporary freebies unless it is a product under serious consideration for purchase anyway.
But you don't see any pay button, do you? Reason - there ain't one. Get back with us when you see one.

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Actually all password managers mentioned on the poll are totally good. Why? Because its a part of the product to produce strong security algorithm that can prevent any untoward/brute force; however there are minimal flaws that can exist and rated to be rare which could be fix immediately by developers.

+ The thing plays here is the ease to use and ability to sync where the advantages goes to few products like Lastpass. But its up to you on how you will adjust from the comfortable position as long passwords are safe on that storage.

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
I would do this to correct the LP snafu:
  • Export all passwords via the Web or otherwise
  • Uninstall the LP binary if you have it.
  • Install the LP extension on a different and portable browser, so that it is as fresh and independent of the existing system as possible, and work on it there.
I've been a LP user for several years, since Roboform shafted those who had bought "lifetime" licenses. While LP is not perfect (misses quite a few logins, though the "save entered data" function helps this, and its notifications could use some fine-tuning), it's quite good. And it's security scheme is sound in my estimation.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I recently encountered a bug on latest LP, in older versions of LP on FF39 on Xubuntu, whenever I cleared my history LP used to log off automatically but now after updating to latest version, it doesn't log off and whoever can log into my account w/o entering master password. One workaround I found was to quit FF and use bleachbit to erase cache & vacuum the profile to log out off LP.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I wouldn't call that a bug since you're not actually logging off.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Should? No. May? Perhaps. It all depends on how LP retains login information and how thorough the cleaning utility is.

It's like saying "My car used to turn off when I disconnected the battery but it doesn't do that anymore". That's not how you're supposed to shut down.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
After cleaning history, LP addon should ask for master password if I want to log in again, right?
I don't think cleaning the browser cache, cookies or history affects LastPass.

Check the LP settings to find an auto-logout or idle period.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
While you're at it, though, you may want to disable all [extensions] but LastPass in case one is interfering with LastPass as a troubleshooting measure.

That seems doubtful, since the same thing is happening in both Firefox and Maxthon.

I also wonder if just re-encrypting will clear the problem.

I would try that if I knew a way.

LastPass is a top-notch product and your issue seems to be a rare thing that happens with pretty much any computer product, so I wouldn't forfeit LastPass' benefits by jumping ship.

It is really grating upon me that I went to their website, did a search there for how to change email address, found official information, acted on it, and suffered this disaster. But I appreciate and respect what you have to say.

Should I delete or keep LastPass cookies?

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Delete...you're trying to do a complete uninstall to eliminate any bad data/configs.

Changing password iterations should trigger a re-encryption (Settings, General, Advanced, scroll down to "Security" section).

Reactions: conceptualclarity

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
You should backup your passwords in lastpass offline with Keepass...LastPass has an export option to export passwords to other password managers,if LastPass messes up then you can access your passwords in an offline password manager like Keepass.....

I like that suggestion. Thanks.

If you are using the LastPass that comes with Maxthon - there is your problem. Try another browser to use LastPass with.

It's the same in Firefox and Chrome as in Maxthon.

Also, see what you think of PasswordBox.
https://www.passwordbox.com/

Thank you for pointing me to that. Can anybody tell me how it compares with LastPass and Sticky Password?

• Export all passwords via the Web or otherwise
Thanks. Do you mean get into the browsers' password managers to do that, or is there some way I don't know about that I can export my LP passwords even though it logs me out as soon as it logs me in? Maybe going to the LastPass folder in Windows Explorer?

• Uninstall the LP binary if you have it.
This is embarrassing. I can't swear as to whether I have the LastPass binary. How do I know for sure? I suspect I do have it, because I always tried to be as thorough as I could about making Last Pass functional on my computer, and I wouldn't have ignored any messages telling me something was lacking because I didn't have the binary.

Delete...you're trying to do a complete uninstall to eliminate any bad data/configs

Thanks.

Changing password iterations should trigger a re-encryption (Settings, General, Advanced, scroll down to "Security" section).

I won't be able to do that under the present circumstances because the instant logging out after logging in means that I don't have access to the Last Pass menu.

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
Thanks. Do you mean get into the browsers' password managers to do that, or is there some way I don't know about that I can export my LP passwords even though it logs me out as soon as it logs me in? Maybe going to the LastPass folder in Windows Explorer?

Go to your online Lastpass vault and sign in there, without going through the extension. Under Tools in the left column there's an export function.

This is embarrassing. I can't swear as to whether I have the LastPass binary. How do I know for sure? I suspect I do have it, because I always tried to be as thorough as I could about making Last Pass functional on my computer, and I wouldn't have ignored any messages telling me something was lacking because I didn't have the binary.

If you're in Windows the binary would be listed at Control Panel / Programs

Reactions: Rolo
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.