Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Go to your online Lastpass vault and sign in there, without going through the extension. Under Tools in the left column there's an export function.

I have tried repeatedly. I just can't get to that Export selection before I'm logged out, told that the consistency check failed. The same thing happens at the webpage as at the icon.

If you're in Windows the binary would be listed at Control Panel / Programs

LastPass is in my Add or Remove Programs.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
To be sure, you did: LastPass Icon > Tools > Advanced > Clear local cache, restart the browser and login ?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Personally don't use them at all now. I do all my password saving through Trend Micro Direct Pass but don't have any complaints with Lastpass.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
To be sure, you did: LastPass Icon > Tools > Advanced > Clear local cache, restart the browser and login ?

Can't use either the icon or the webpage. They both log me in, it's the right email and password, but then they log me back out in about two seconds with that message about "Consistency check failed. Please logoff and try again". I have cleared Maxthon cache and I'll clear the other browsers' caches.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Can't use either the icon or the webpage. They both log me in, it's the right email and password, but then they log me back out in about two seconds with that message about "Consistency check failed. Please logoff and try again"
Either your data are corrupt on the server (unlikely) or something is interfering with your data being transmitted or stored onto your machine.

Can you try on a different machine or a clean virtual machine?

Reactions: conceptualclarity

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Either your data are corrupt on the server (unlikely) or something is interfering with your data being transmitted or stored onto your machine.

I have uninstalled. I will reinstall. I believe I'll follow the suggestion to start first by reinstalling an extension at a browser, probably one of my less-used ones like SlimFast. I'm hoping that the suggestion that it was a corrupt binary is correct.

Can you try on a different machine or a clean virtual machine?

A virtual machine? Maybe, with the help of a really good tutorial since I've never done virtual before. A different machine? At this moment not one of my own. I suppose I could go the library and install it to my external hard drive, which is where I have most of my browsers. I can't swear that LastPass would allow installation to external media.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Live boot is a much better idea. What you're accomplishing with that is eliminating your computer (and everything on it) as a cause to your LP issue. If you Live boot and LP still says there's a problem, then it's likely on their end.

I can see installing software to an external drive being an issue.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Live boot is a much better idea. What you're accomplishing with that is eliminating your computer (and everything on it) as a cause to your LP issue. If you Live boot and LP still says there's a problem, then it's likely on their end.

It would save time if I could accomplish the same thing as with a Linux Live boot by using Hiren's Boot CD, because I already have that ready to go on a thumb drive. Specifically, Firefox on Parted Magic. Installing LastPass on that is something I have done before; it has to be done again each boot. (I am unable to type into Opera on MiniXP.)

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Don't install anything yet; just log into LastPass to see if it works then try to install the LP extension, ensure that works.

Reactions: conceptualclarity

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Don't install anything yet; just log into LastPass to see if it works then try to install the LP extension, ensure that works.

When I log in to Last Pass in Parted Magic via Hiren's Boot CD, I get the message that it doesn't recognize my device or location and wants me to confirm it by clicking on their email. So I jumped through that hoop, but when I returned to Parted Magic, it gave me the very same message about not recognizing my location or device as though I hadn't clicked on their confirmation email. After that, no luck with the Firefox extension there either.

I may stick with LastPass when this is over, but I can never be bullish on it again as I was. And I will have to back it up with something else like KeePass as suggested.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
It's behaving like it can't save a cookie that makes your device recognised.

On my part, I don't have anti-cookie software running, and I don't configure my browsers to kill cookies.

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
When I log in to Last Pass in Parted Magic via Hiren's Boot CD, I get the message that it doesn't recognize my device or location and wants me to confirm it by clicking on their email. So I jumped through that hoop, but when I returned to Parted Magic, it gave me the very same message about not recognizing my location or device as though I hadn't clicked on their confirmation email. After that, no luck with the Firefox extension there either.

I may stick with LastPass when this is over, but I can never be bullish on it again as I was. And I will have to back it up with something else like KeePass as suggested.

Did you reboot during the email authentication process? Because Parted Magic leaves no residuals.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Did you reboot during the email authentication process? Because Parted Magic leaves no residuals.

Yes. I have non-browser-based email, so I had to get out of Hiren's and back into Windows to do the authentication.

Bryan J

Level 1
Verified
May 17, 2015
conceptualcst: 418278 said:
I have uninstalled. I will reinstall. I believe I'll follow the suggestion to start first by reinstalling an extension at a browser, probably one of my less-used ones like SlimFast. I'm hoping that the suggestion that it was a corrupt binary is correct.

A virtual machine? Maybe, with the help of a really good tutorial since I've never done virtual before. A different machine? At this moment not one of my own. I suppose I could go the library and install it to my external hard drive, which is where I have most of my browsers. I can't swear that LastPass would allow installation to external media.

I'm quite surprised that the poll even listed Dash Lane as a choice, but not 1Password. I've tried LP, Dash Lane, KeePass, Password Safe, and IMHO, 1Password beats them all. I always see/hear people knocking it for being a "trial". But if they'd actually try it out, they'd discover that it's really not.

The only real drawback, which I don't really consider a drawback, because there's multiple way's around this, is that the trial just limits the number of logins/accounts to 21. But all you have to do is create 1 or 2 accounts configured to have multiple logins. EG: I had an entry setup as "Security Sites", and then just kept adding additional site passwords via the "add field" button. Alternatively, the other fields you can add to each account are (Text, Email, URL, Phone, Password, Date, 1 time password) So I actually had a couple of general account entries that had upwards of 10 site passwords.
Beyond that, it's highly customizable. Not only can it be saved to external drives, it also has FF & Chrome extensions, allows for multiple databases, wifi sync, auto updating, and one of the best pw generators I've seen. And will warns you of any known vulnerabilities such as Heartbleed and Watchtower.

So with that said conceptualclarity, may I suggest giving it a spin? You just might find it to meet or exceed your needs like I did. thttps://agilebits.com/onepassword :)

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
After uninstalling the binary, I would simply try a portable browser (slimjet, etc) with the LP extension. If that doesn't work I would go with a LinuxLite live session. Choose Persistence when you shut down, and the data will be saved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.