Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please specify in the thread)

Votes: 6 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Your prob reminds me of my prob with 2 software...Unlocker portable & 4kvideotomp3 portable.
I dont know what happened but these software stopped opening. Both use to open fine but after sometime clicking on both nothing use to appear. I tried lots of things like disk clean, registry clean, fresh download, etc... but nothing solved the prob.

Only reinstalling the Operating System solved the prob.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I'm quite surprised that the poll even listed Dash Lane as a choice, but not 1Password. I've tried LP, Dash Lane, KeePass, Password Safe, and IMHO, 1Password beats them all. I always see/hear people knocking it for being a "trial". But if they'd actually try it out, they'd discover that it's really not.

The only real drawback, which I don't really consider a drawback, because there's multiple way's around this, is that the trial just limits the number of logins/accounts to 21. But all you have to do is create 1 or 2 accounts configured to have multiple logins. EG: I had an entry setup as "Security Sites", and then just kept adding additional site passwords via the "add field" button. Alternatively, the other fields you can add to each account are (Text, Email, URL, Phone, Password, Date, 1 time password) So I actually had a couple of general account entries that had upwards of 10 site passwords.
Beyond that, it's highly customizable. Not only can it be saved to external drives, it also has FF & Chrome extensions, allows for multiple databases, wifi sync, auto updating, and one of the best pw generators I've seen. And will warns you of any known vulnerabilities such as Heartbleed and Watchtower.

So with that said conceptualclarity, may I suggest giving it a spin? You just might find it to meet or exceed your needs like I did. thttps://agilebits.com/onepassword :)

I thank you very much, Bryan J, for telling us about 1Password. Given the huge number of websites I'm registered with I'm not sure I would wish to try your method. I am open, however, to paying for a password manager. I see the license is for a particular upgrade. https://agilebits.com/store/licenses How long does 1Password tend to go between upgrades?

then you lost your cookies, so the mail affected nothing. Without web email access, you will need a second machine (or a virtual machine) running concurrently with the email program.

Well, I have a secondary Gmail account. But given the fact that this whole crisis began with a change of my LastPass email (as a result of the sale of my cable company) I'm reluctant to bring Gmail into this. Maybe the virtual machine option would be good.

After uninstalling the binary, I would simply try a portable browser (slimjet, etc) with the LP extension. If that doesn't work I would go with a LinuxLite live session. Choose Persistence when you shut down, and the data will be saved.

I'm not familiar with LinuxLite. Is it available on a free boot CD?

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
Yes, it's just a bit too big for a CD, so it would need a DVD. You'd have to leave the DVD session open, though, for persistence to work. Or better, burn LL to a small USB stick. I recommend Rufus for doing that, as I've had problems lately with multiboot YUMI.

Here's a good intro to LL, though it's not necessary for your immediate purposes. The guy is very knowledgeable, and calls LL probably the best desktop OS available. It also gives you a quick look at running a virtual machine.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
But given the fact that this whole crisis began with a change of my LastPass email (as a result of the sale of my cable company) I'm reluctant to bring Gmail into this
This is the event that triggered my use of Gmail: uncoupling my e-mail address from an ISP, which could change by M&A or by my moving. That and Gmail always works.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Or better, burn LL to a small USB stick. I recommend Rufus for doing that, as I've had problems lately with multiboot YUMI.

Thank you very much, Paul. Would I have to have a dedicated thumb drive for that? I have a 16GB drive available. If possible I'd like to put it on the same drive with Hiren's Boot CD and maybe some other things as well.

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
Yes, Rufus demands a dedicated drive, unfortunately. 2GB would be more than enough. You could try YUMI first, but I and others have had some unreliability with it of late.

Reactions: conceptualclarity
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.