Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
HitmanPro
Norton Power Eraser
AdwCleaner
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox as primary (always run sandboxed)
Brave as backup
Maintenance tools
CCleaner
Shadow Defender
File and Photo backup
External HDD
System recovery
Windows Backup & Restore
Risk factors
    • Gaming
Computer specs
i5 7600K
GTX 1070 Ti
16GB RAM
1 TB SSD

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I tried Bullguard last year and their protection was nowhere near the big guys. I may give it a try on my laptop. G-DATA did a much better job than BullGuard.
You're right they need to work on improving their protection modules. But you can always pair it with SecureAPlus.

• Wow
Reactions: Nevi and stefanos

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Gdata beats Bullguard with their strong behavior blocker. No need to add some extra protection.
But Bullguard is much lighter. I really like both but believe me Bullguard offers decent protection. Both will fail to protect from some malware. G Data's BB is stronger than Bullguard's; Bullguard in their newer versions did sth wrong with their BB (maybe they cannot develop Nova Shield code any longer).

Wraith2020

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 19, 2020
Unfortunately I had to remove KART since it froze the PC during my gameplay. It's the first time this PC ever froze on me. I really liked the combination of KART and ESET but it seems like my Robot doesn't like a companion.:cry:
Does anyone know of a software that can protect certain folders from ransomware (like WD controlled folder) and that'll work alongside ESET?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Unfortunately I had to remove KART since it froze the PC during my gameplay. It's the first time this PC ever froze on me. I really liked the combination of KART and ESET but it seems like my Robot doesn't like a companion.:cry:
Does anyone know of a software that can protect certain folders from ransomware (like WD controlled folder) and that'll work alongside ESET?
You can follow this for implementing WD CFA like protection in ESET

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Another option, but not there yet, keep an eye on the development of Heilig Defense Folderfication:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
You can follow this for implementing WD CFA like protection in ESET
I completely forgot about this post since I wasn't using ESET at the time. Wonderful guide!

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I completely forgot about this post since I wasn't using ESET at the time. Wonderful guide!
Inspired from similar guide for Kaspersky by harlan4096.
Adding one more thing that many users don't know including me who didn't know at the time of creating that thread that is, for Ask rules ESET HIPS's default behavior is allow. After a minute from the prompt if no option is chosen by the user the action will be allowed automatically. But a user is likely to take action within a minute so not a huge issue but should be known nonetheless. There's so such issue for the Block rule which works as expected.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Inspired from similar guide for Kaspersky by harlan4096.
Adding one more thing that many users don't know including me who didn't know at the time of creating that thread that is, for Ask rules ESET HIPS's default behavior is allow. After a minute from the prompt if no option is chosen by the user the action will be allowed automatically. But a user is likely to take action within a minute so not a huge issue but should be known nonetheless. There's so such issue for the Block rule which works as expected.
I recently learned that as well...not easy to find out.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
it seems like ESET doesn't like anything working alongside it. I installed ESET with SecureAplus. Immediately, my laptop couldn't boot as it froze during the process of loading taskbar icons, happened every reboot. I was forced to uninstall ESET in safe mode
the second time, I intentionally stopped SAP and installed ESET. It worked but still my laptop wasn't very stable

Wraith2020

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 19, 2020
it seems like ESET doesn't like anything working alongside it. I installed ESET with SecureAplus. Immediately, my laptop couldn't boot as it froze during the process of loading taskbar icons, happened every reboot. I was forced to uninstall ESET in safe mode
the second time, I intentionally stopped SAP and installed ESET. It worked but still my laptop wasn't very stable
Yeah ESET is very picky with additional software, specially which have real-time protections. It can be used with Sandboxie, Shadow Defender, OSArmor, VoodooShield, AppGuard. In my system it caused problems with GlassWire, SpyShelter, WiseVector X, AdGuard, Malwarebytes Premium.

Wraith2020

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 19, 2020
Give Bullguard IS a try and see ;)
I'm trying out the 90 days of BG IS on my laptop and boy it's really light. You were right. It's almost as light as ESET (lighter than BD, KIS, Avast/AVG/Avira, G-DATA). I haven't done any tests with it but since I run my browser sandboxed I guess I'm good to go.

UPDATE:
Switched from Chrome to Firefox.

Last edited:

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I'm trying out the 90 days of BG IS on my laptop and boy it's really light. You were right. It's almost as light as ESET (lighter than BD, KIS, Avast/AVG/Avira, G-DATA). I haven't done any tests with it but since I run my browser sandboxed I guess I'm good to go.

UPDATE:
Switched from Chrome to Firefox(sandboxie is back). :cool:
I suggest you set the protection level to high.

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
Both Eset (especially with SeriousHoax tweaking with protected folders) KIS and BTS is designed to be full protection. OSarmour, Voodooshield and Appguard is a little overkill IMHO. But if you feel most secure with them on top of the security suites then good for you.
I would probably use a SUA account instead. :)

Wraith2020

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 19, 2020
Both Eset (especially with SeriousHoax tweaking with protected folders) KIS and BTS is designed to be full protection. OSarmour, Voodooshield and Appguard is a little overkill IMHO. But if you feel most secure with them on top of the security suites then good for you.
I would probably use a SUA account instead. :)
Yes you're right. I don't probably need those alongwith the suites. But all the three suites lack one very important feature- virtualization. That's why I use Sandboxie alongwith them to run the browsers sandboxed.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.