App Review Xvirus Anti-Malware Free 2021

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello and welcome to the Xvirus test!
Xvirus is a new anti-malware developed by @Dani Santos in Portugal.
The software is very minimalist, simple and 100% autonomous.
It works with a database that it downloads regularly and with its Cloud system.

The worry is that Xvirus suffers from a big black spot: An antivirus coded completely in VB.net is not suitable for an antivirus.

I noticed a lot of excessive memory consumption of Xvirus. Probably a lack of optimization.
Then, Xvirus tries to attack the threat, but it's always too late... or it reacts very late (PolyRansom and HLLP.Shodi.A virus had time to seriously infect the system before Xvirus' multiple alerts).

I still support the developer because coding an antimalware alone is not easy, but there are points to improve!

RAM Usage : High
Phishing Test : No anti-phishing on this product! Not tested
Malware URL test : 0,5/10 (1 partielly blocked)
Fake crack : 0,25/1 (many infections take hold like Talmad or XMRig, Xvirus reacts too late)
Malware Pack : Remaining 632 files to 668 malwares
Execution Test : The machine is infected very quickly. Xvirus tries to defend itself, but reacts very late. The HLLP.Shodi.A virus may have seriously infected the system with PolyRansom

Result :
- Hitman Pro : Could not get started
- NPE : 53
- Eset : 182

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
This preview lmao. Was scared that the channel got deleted again.

1639673711761.png

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Hello and welcome to the Xvirus test!
Xvirus is a new anti-malware developed by @Dani Santos in Portugal.
The software is very minimalist, simple and 100% autonomous.
It works with a database that it downloads regularly and with its Cloud system.

The worry is that Xvirus suffers from a big black spot: An antivirus coded completely in VB.net is not suitable for an antivirus.

I noticed a lot of excessive memory consumption of Xvirus. Probably a lack of optimization.
Then, Xvirus tries to attack the threat, but it's always too late... or it reacts very late (PolyRansom and HLLP.Shodi.A virus had time to seriously infect the system before Xvirus' multiple alerts).

I still support the developer because coding an antimalware alone is not easy, but there are points to improve!

RAM Usage : High
Phishing Test : No anti-phishing on this product! Not tested
Malware URL test : 0,5/10 (1 partielly blocked)
Fake crack : 0,25/1 (many infections take hold like Talmad or XMRig, Xvirus reacts too late)
Malware Pack : Remaining 632 files to 668 malwares
Execution Test : The machine is infected very quickly. Xvirus tries to defend itself, but reacts very late. The HLLP.Shodi.A virus may have seriously infected the system with PolyRansom

Result :
- Hitman Pro : Could not get started
- NPE : 53
- Eset : 182

This program is abandoneware since years, so it is good that someone shows how useless it is nowadays.
It show up now and then as a giveaway on sites, which is very unfortunate.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

This program is abandoneware since years, so it is good that someone shows how useless it is nowadays.
It show up now and then as a giveaway on sites, which is very unfortunate.
Years? Try a few months

Dani Santos

Verified Developer
From Xvirus · 31 · From Portugal
Joined Jun 3, 2014
Last seen Yesterday at 9:19 AM

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Years? Try a few months

This reply just proves my point.

Last version was in 2017, and you post a post he did last year in december saying that it would come out a new version. Which has not come out yet. So your post was not about a new version, just his presumed ittention about a new one. Quite a difference.

So... years!

By the way, the new website he talks about and has a link to in the thread you posted, it does not exist. It has looked the same since... well, years.

As far as i can see he is just holding up the fort with false info, maybe so giveaway sites should post his program, as they do, so he can, maybe, get some money out of it from folks who think that it would be worth paying for a continuance. Something that has been going on for years on some giveaway sites.

He told me, 2017, that there would soon come out a new version with an AI feature and that X-virus would be very potent. Since then, no version has come out. Not a single ONE.

Last edited:

Popolitus

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 7, 2014
This reply just proves my point.

Last version was in 2017, and you post a post he did last year in december saying that it would come out a new version. Which has not come out yet. So your post was not about a new version, just his presumed ittention about a new one. Quite a difference.

So... years!

By the way, the new website he talks about and has a link to in the thread you posted, it does not exist. It has looked the same since... well, years.

As far as i can see he is just holding up the fort with false info, maybe so giveaway sites should post his program, as they do, so he can, maybe, get some money out of it from folks who think that it would be worth paying for a continuance. Something that has been going on for years on some giveaway sites.

He told me, 2017, that there would soon come out a new version with an AI feature and that X-virus would be very potent. Since then, no version has come out. Not a single ONE.
i believe that we are forgetting someting, is a program with a single person working on it...so dont expect a faster release....this "symantec" or "mcafee" with hundred's of ppl working on it...did u try to contact him directly recently? the last post from developer was September, its on slow path? it is..dead..dont think so..this isnt Zemana :p

Dani Santos wanna share someting?

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
i believe that we are forgetting someting, is a program with a single person working on it...so dont expect a faster release....this "symantec" or "mcafee" with hundred's of ppl working on it...did u try to contact him directly recently? the last post from developer was September, its on slow path? it is..dead..dont think so..this isnt Zemana :p

Dani Santos wanna share someting?

It has nothing to do with size, only facts, information.

Even on this forum the information from the developer is faulty, which you can see on the posts and links above. Defending someone or something is a good intention if there is unjust accusations, but if they are correct, well. So pulling the size argument is out of place. Either a company or a person acts professional, or not, size, has nothing, at all, to do with that.

When a giveaway is occuring the developer says ok to it, so he is aware about it. This has happened on several occassions recent years with this program even though it has not been updated since 2017. Since these giveaways there has not been released a new version. In the security landscape we live in today, i would classify that as unprofessional bordering to fraud.

Besides, look at how bad it works in the test above and think about the fact that it has not been updated since 2017.
Zemana, is actually a pretty good comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: [correlate]

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello guys,
I had read, but forgot to answer. By the way, I'm answering in the middle of Battlefield :D (it's currently being filmed)

First of all, Xvirus is not dead. If it would be dead, I think that the antivirus would not have made any detection on the pack (the URLs, it tried to remove one, but too late) .
Then I know Dani is working on a new engine, here is one of my exchanges with him:

xvirus.png

So dead I will not say, but things to improve, yes.

Namely that it is all alone, a bit like other antivirus project (it makes me think of LMT, it is also all alone) but well, it is already well advanced for a product coded by one guy!

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Hello guys,
I had read, but forgot to answer. By the way, I'm answering in the middle of Battlefield :D (it's currently being filmed)

First of all, Xvirus is not dead. If it would be dead, I think that the antivirus would not have made any detection on the pack (the URLs, it tried to remove one, but too late) .
Then I know Dani is working on a new engine, here is one of my exchanges with him:

xvirus.png

So dead I will not say, but things to improve, yes.

Namely that it is all alone, a bit like other antivirus project (it makes me think of LMT, it is also all alone) but well, it is already well advanced for a product coded by one guy!

The new engine he talked about in 2017, it is yet to be seen. He mentioned it here 2020 and said it would come in a couple of months. One year later, it has yet to be seen. During all this time, no mentioning of the progress, of beta testing, development at large. The lack of information, communication, is like the echo in a large hall. Stating emptiness.

In the conversation with him that you posted, it still is not finished. And being alone is not an excuse for unproffesionality, and you know it.

It is one thing to like something another to see facts about it. Facts that are easily found on the net for the one who wants. And by saying that my input in the matter is done.

The reason for my initial post is that i want create awareness, plant a seed, among people about the situation with this app. That i have done on a couple of giveaway sites when there has been one and on another forum besides this one. Personally, i think it is fraud to continue to sell an app like this and promising here and there "a new engine" that never surface and wanting money for it, when it is useless. It can not even produce a decent protection level, that is why he should not aprove of giveaways of it. Doing that is a tremendous lack of sincerity.

Now the readers are warned.

Hopefully he delivers soon, very soon, or stop this life support on the app and just close shop by stating on the home site that it is abandoned.

Popolitus

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 7, 2014
Sorry to say, but the way u point things, u are saying that someone is trying to make a fraud to get a profit, and that is a crime (both u saying and someone else doing it). the developer is a single person, so is normal that things don't go always as planned.

And besides, no one is forcing no one to buy this...so..be more chill when pointing out thinks, specially when talking about thing that can be a crime

As we can see the developer is not dead, have been in contact with this forum, and was aware about the test..i don't see any abandonware here... but ok :) all i see, is a slow developer, and if i recall correctly the developer besides Xvirus have a full time job, so we need to be more empathic i guess

Last edited:

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
About development, I subscribe what @marciocruz said.

I know it has been slow but it is still on going and not abandoned. I'm remaking everything mostly from scratch which contributed a lot for the time taken. Although the scan engine is already done, that are other parts still not done in order to release a new version.

Giving you a quick roadmap:
  • New Website is live
  • The new Scan Engine SDK is done (and now in progress to be integrated in partner's products)
  • Xvirus Firewall 5.0 beta will be available in December (full release in January)
  • Xvirus Anti-Malware 8.0 beta will only happen in 2022 (no set date yet)

Best regards!

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
@Shadowra Thanks for the test. Seems like I need to work more on the signatures for a next test :)

I find it weird that the System Protection took so much time to kick in, it only showed up at the end of the test when it was too late.

What I've noticed is that Xvirus tends to pump RAM and CPU, and detects the action when the malwares have finished their actions...

I just tried it with a non-encrypted Nanocore and with a worm, and I was kill the antivirus...

An anti-kill driver would be important too because unfortunately, Xvirus is easily defeated :/

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

What I've noticed is that Xvirus tends to pump RAM and CPU, and detects the action when the malwares have finished their actions...

I just tried it with a non-encrypted Nanocore and with a worm, and I was kill the antivirus...

An anti-kill driver would be important too because unfortunately, Xvirus is easily defeated :/
Was this the RAM use while just sitting idle?

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014

Yes, the current scan engine is a bit on the slow side. The new engine wil scan 5x faster. About the cpu and ram spike it will depend on the "priority" you set on setiings.

About self protection it will also be improved in the next version. :)

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Yes, the current scan engine is a bit on the slow side. The new engine wil scan 5x faster. About the cpu and ram spike it will depend on the "priority" you set on setiings.

About self protection it will also be improved in the next version. :)
Malwarebytes works this way also. It has a slider for priority. Its scan after bootup is not bad but if you leave the slider on default, it will spike the RAM and CPU just like any other AV.

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
About development, I subscribe what @marciocruz said.

I know it has been slow but it is still on going and not abandoned. I'm remaking everything mostly from scratch which contributed a lot for the time taken. Although the scan engine is already done, that are other parts still not done in order to release a new version.

Giving you a quick roadmap:
  • New Website is live
  • The new Scan Engine SDK is done (and now in progress to be integrated in partner's products)
  • Xvirus Firewall 5.0 beta will be available in December (full release in January)
  • Xvirus Anti-Malware 8.0 beta will only happen in 2022 (no set date yet)

Best regards!
Since you have the intention to make people safer on the net, help people with the safety, it would be better to pull your Antimalware product back while working on the new one because it performs so badly. The inbuilt Ms Defender is very potent nowadays and your app is actually lowering peoples safety so that contradicts your initial intention. Have your ever thought about this situation?

Because you have worked on the new project for years and it actually is near release you must have a Beta version, a version you can post here and then get help with testing it, finding bugs. As you can see in thread there are a lot of interest so there will be many that wants to help out with the testing. That would speed up things and benefit your work. What do you say?

Where is this site that you say is - Live? When i search the net i see, and come to, the same site, exactly, as a couple of years ago

If i would buy one of your apps do you have the time to give the supposed support for it or are you to busy with development? True and fair question, no sarcasm.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.