Advice Request ZenMate free VPN for Edge

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Templarware

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
I was looking for the best free VPM extension for Edge, I've found an article talking about this one:

Is it known? It's unlimited and it claims to use military-grade 256bit encryption on the free version.
I would prefer a browser extension to a VPN app because I'm a gamer, so I don't want lower speeds and higher ping in games and Steam etc.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I was looking for the best free VPM extension for Edge, I've found an article talking about this one:

Is it known? It's unlimited and it claims to use military-grade 256bit encryption on the free version.
I would prefer a browser extension to a VPN app because I'm a gamer, so I don't want lower speeds and higher ping in games and Steam etc.

Personally I would read their privacy policy carefully, IMHO t's not very private at all:

Privacy Policy

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It is known, it's been around for a long time.

Thread from 2013

Templarware

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
Free VPN without limits is just too good to be true. I've already used this extension for change IP and have access to some giveaways.

Instead of Zen, i prefer:

Avira Phanton VPN extension

Or

Windscribe extension
Windscribe is limited to 10GB a month, so we can exclude that.
Avira does seem more trustable, it doesn't have an extension in the Microsoft store, but has a software for the entire machine, maybe I can just pause it when I game.

Reactions: Cortex and Tiamati

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Avira does seem more trustable, it doesn't have an extension in the Microsoft store, but has a software for the entire machine, maybe I can just pause it when I game.
Free and Unlimited, are you sure that's what you want? There are numerous articles online as to why you should avoid them.

A Browser's VPN are not for full privacy.

Try Opera VPN browser, or Opera GX browser for Free, Unlimited VPN usage. Speeds will vary.

Link: Free VPN | Browser with built-in VPN | Download | Opera
For Gamers: Opera GX | Gaming Browser | Opera

Edit: Standalone VPN desktop apps can exclude programs from it's VPN services.

Link: What Is VPN Split Tunneling? When Do You Need It? | CyberNews

Templarware

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
Free and Unlimited, are you sure that's what you want? There are numerous articles online as to why you should avoid them.

A Browser's VPN are not for full privacy.

Try Opera VPN browser, or Opera GX browser for Free, Unlimited VPN usage. Speeds will vary.

Link: Free VPN | Browser with built-in VPN | Download | Opera
For Gamers: Opera GX | Gaming Browser | Opera

Edit: Standalone VPN desktop apps can exclude programs from it's VPN services.

Link: What Is VPN Split Tunneling? When Do You Need It? | CyberNews
I've used Opera GX, I prefer Edge... but if the VPN is decent maybe I could get back to it.
What do you think about the VPN present in the cheap (paid) AVs like Avast/AVG? Better option?

Reactions: Cortex

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I've used Opera GX, I prefer Edge... but if the VPN is decent maybe I could get back to it.
What do you think about the VPN present in the cheap AVs like Avast/AVG? Better option?
Garbage. An Antivirus company will try and get you to use all their extra services.

Better paid options include:
  • ExpressVPN
  • SurfShark
  • NordVPN
  • ProtonVPN (excluding free tier)
These have a known reputation and are providing privacy-focused services.

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
You can use the chrome version with Edge. I used it for a long time without problems. Avira has an excelent Privacy Police so you shouldnt worry about that. The auto connect option from the extension, usually connects to your country but it's very fast

Templarware

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
I've had a router with Open VPN server functionality, it's advertised as making it possible to safely access home network when you're outside your home. But can it also serve the same privacy/security o Nord VPN or Express VPN if you use it inside your home? Or are they different types of VPN?

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Same as Private Internet Access it got acquired by Kape Technologies. Not recommended.

1. ZenMate acquired by Kape Technologies | The ZenMate Blog

2. Strange Ties: Private Internet Access, Kape, and Crossrider

About Opera's VPN: Opera VPN Review - Data Collection Tool in Disguise?
I don't really know why Spawn still recommends it as I also told him about the weak privacy of Opera's VPN.

As @Tiamati already said, you might want to try Windscribe's extension. I think that would be the best free pick. (y)

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
I am using BulletVPN. I bought a 3 year license. I checked their website currently they are offering 3 year licenses for 100 euro's, but I am sure I bought it for a lot less on black friday in 2020. On black friday I compared some VPN discount offerings on

1. Fair price
2. Fast servers
3. Zero logging policy
4. Leak protection
5. EU-based

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I am using BulletVPN. I bought a 3 year license. I checked their website currently they are offering 3 year licenses for 100 euro's, but I am sure I bought it for a lot less on black friday in 2020. On black friday I compared some VPN discount offerings on

1. Fair price
2. Fast servers
3. Zero logging policy
4. Leak protection
5. EU-based
I grabbed the lifetime deal from Stacksocial. It is fast and reliable.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
There are good points. There are many vocal critics of VPNs. We know a lot of the VPN market is scummy in their behavior. However, I know my ISP logs everything, sells my data, and lobbies the US Congress for more ability to do so. I don’t use a VPN most of the time. But, I probably trust the one I rarely use more than my ISP. It depends on your goals. Most of the time I just don’t care what my ISP sees. Other people do. Read the arguments from both sides and consider your goals. Go with whatever advice resonates with you. We all do the best we can.

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Reactions: Cortex and blackice

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
This is not so different than the discussion of “You don’t need an AV (other than defender).” Nothing is cut and dry anymore.

sg09

Level 2
Verified
Apr 3, 2019
If you need only to use VPN only very occasionally and 3.0 Gb monthly is okay with you, you can try Adguard VPN. It is available in Chrome store and so can be installed on Edge (I have it installed on Edge).

Adguard VPN works pretty well as per my experience and it has one distinct feature. You can enable 'Selective Mode' where you can add a number of websites only on which you want the VPN to work. In this way you can avoid using VPN on your banking site, MalwareTips etc.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.