Question 1.1.1. dns shows no?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
brave_FXuTouuq0r.png

1.1.1.1 shows no

I use 1.1.1.2 and 1.0.0.2 dns for my asus router, browser, and windows 11.

Reactions: rashmi and Nevi

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
It seems like you might be facing a connection issue. Try restarting your router, computer, and browser. If the problem persists, check your firewall settings or contact your ISP to ensure they're not blocking the DNS.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    54.6 KB · Views: 33

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
On ASUS stubby for the DoT does a round robin run. Does this test always show not connected to 1.1.1.1 of you run it several times? I haven’t used the Cloudflare test in a long time. So I’m not sure, but I think the bot might be right in saying there’s a connection issue with 1.1.1.1 at your location. Your router is properly set.

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
@SeriousHoax

Asus AX RT 55 router
1) LAN > DNS and WINS server settings > DNS Server 1: 1.1.1.2 , DNS Server 2: 1.0.0.2

2)
View attachment 283275

3) Browsers < DNS section, then select Cloudflare dns default.

4) Windows 11 setup follow through here: Set up 1.1.1.1 on Windows · Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 docs
Also, for 1, don’t put anything in the LAN dns settings.

7Oz-64

Level 1
Jan 16, 2023
From my experience (using a asus router too), if you've set DNS on your router, you absolutely don't need to set DNS in Windows or Browser, all requests are filtered by your router, leave windows default and for your browser if it's Chrome then deactivate secure DNS and for Firefox too.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
@SeriousHoax

Asus AX RT 55 router
1) LAN > DNS and WINS server settings > DNS Server 1: 1.1.1.2 , DNS Server 2: 1.0.0.2

2)
View attachment 283275

3) Browsers < DNS section, then select Cloudflare dns default.

4) Windows 11 setup follow through here: Set up 1.1.1.1 on Windows · Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 docs
I tried setting it up on Edge and Firefox and I get similar result also. Maybe the testing site has issues. One way to verify that you're actually connected to Cloudflare malware blocking DNS is to visit this test site. If your browsers don't respond to this site, then it should mean that it's working fine, and you can ignore the result shown by the test site. Test it on your PC and smartphone:
The DNS is properly working for me.

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
https://malware.testcategory.com/ The DNS is properly working for me.
The same here.

capture_05082024_120715.jpg

From my experience (using a asus router too), if you've set DNS on your router, you absolutely don't need to set DNS in Windows or Browser, all requests are filtered by your router, leave windows default and for your browser if it's Chrome then deactivate secure DNS and for Firefox too.
The way it works, browser is above Windows and Windows is above router. Malware could easily set it's own DNS server and ignore router altogether, unless it is specifically blocked, like:

capture_05082024_120045.jpg

I keep router's DNS set to ISP, because it does not matter from user's perspective and it is better for ISP's remote maintenance of the router and to prevent network related issues.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Asus AX RT 55 router

2)
View attachment 283275
Just my idea... 😉 the screenshot of your ASUS router settings shows DNS server: 1.1.1.2 and 1.0.0.2 (as we know both are for Cloudflare Malware Blocking), but with that the Cloudflare DNS test link might doesn't show "YES" for 1.1.1.1 as part of "Connectivity to Resolver IP Addresses"

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
On ASUS stubby for the DoT does a round robin run. Does this test always show not connected to 1.1.1.1 of you run it several times? I haven’t used the Cloudflare test in a long time. So I’m not sure, but I think the bot might be right in saying there’s a connection issue with 1.1.1.1 at your location. Your router is properly set.
No for 1.1.1.1 under IP connectivity resolver section. The top says I am connected to 1.1.1.1

Also, for 1, don’t put anything in the LAN dns settings.
Gotcha. I have it remove.

I thought browser will use the default dns in the Windows os, not the router?

The same here.

View attachment 283286

The way it works, browser is above Windows and Windows is above router. Malware could easily set it's own DNS server and ignore router altogether, unless it is specifically blocked, like:

View attachment 283283

I keep router's DNS set to ISP, because it does not matter from user's perspective and it is better for ISP's remote maintenance of the router and to prevent network related issues.

Just my idea... 😉 the screenshot of your ASUS router settings shows DNS server: 1.1.1.2 and 1.0.0.2 (as we know both are for Cloudflare Malware Blocking), but with that the Cloudflare DNS test link might doesn't show "YES" for 1.1.1.1 as part of "Connectivity to Resolver IP Addresses"
So this is normal? I was baffling why NO for 1.1.1.1 as part of "Connectivity to resolver IP addresses".

I think it's an issue with the test site. I'm using Cloudflare, and the test site always shows "NO" for 1.1.1.1
Are you using 1.1.1.1 or 1.1.1.2 or 1.1.1.3?

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I thought browser will use the default dns in the Windows os, not the router?
The default of Windows is to ask the router's DHCP server for a DNS. Your ASUS router will forward requests to the one you set for the WAN DNS.

7Oz-64

Level 1
Jan 16, 2023
@TairikuOkami
Ok am agree, so let me explain how is set my router
My ISP provider don't allow me to change DNS on it's own router (DMZ activated)
I've connected my Asus ac88u to manage entire network (need credentials to connect) (trend micro protection disabled)
I ve temporarily enable SSH on port 22 and installed NextDNS CLI ver 1.43.3 using PuTTY (auto login disabled), after i disable SSH capabilities
All network requests are logged in NextDNS logs, DoH is deactivate in firefox, and Windows is set to use DNS automatically by default
browserleaktest and folks always return that am using ONLY NextDNS.
Bitdefender internet security protect my computer.
All my credentials are protected with a keyfile (on a usb key) and stored on external HDD
With this can you still confirm me that a malware is still able to redirect traffic to it's own DNS server ???
Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
With this can you still confirm me that a malware is still able to redirect traffic to it's own DNS server ???
DoH is deactivate in firefox, and Windows is set to use DNS automatically by default
Malware can "simply" install it's own DNS server and connect to Windows via a loopback (127.0.0.1), like DNSCrypt does.
Also you have port 443 allowed, so it could set it's own DoH, since you have not set any in browsers nor Windows.
Of course, this is theoretical, considering your setup, it is highly unlikely, but still possible.
I have allowed only known DNS via a firewall, but it can still by bypassed via DoH set in browsers.

capture_05092024_103843.jpg

• Applause
Reactions: 7Oz-64

7Oz-64

Level 1
Jan 16, 2023
@TairikuOkami
Couldn't agree anymore(y)(y)(y)
Of course i can set both router and Windows and/or Firefox with NextDNS, but each time i torrenting (VPN), i've to disable NextDNS on Windows for working, tested on several VPN providers ,there unable to override NextDNS, if i use only Next DNS on router it works, i 've VPN own's dns.
Again thank you.
And sorry for this little bit off topic:)

Reactions: TairikuOkami

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.