Advice Request 11 Free Tools to Disable and Stop Windows 10 from Spying and Tracking You - Which do you use?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
The article gives a short description of each

These free Windows anti-spy tools are

1) WPD
2) Blackbird
3) Win10 Spy Disabler
4) O&O ShutUp 10
5) W10Privacy
6) DisableWinTracking
7) Privacy Repairer
8) Ashampoo Antispy
9) Avira Privacy Pal
10) Debonet
11) Destroy Windows Spying

12) Spybot Anti-Beacon (NOT FREE!!)

Note :- Some of the above software phones home

Last edited:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Since migrating to win10, I've only done things like turning off items that can be set and blocking extra communication with FW. Excessive anti-spying measures will affect Windows behavior.
It's similar to how children can grow up twisted if you don't raise them with trust.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I use only O&O ShutUp 10 and turn of some settings manually in Windows 10 since Emsisoft recommended that tool:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
This article is being regularly updated. I would avoid tools, that were not updated at least in 2019.
12) Spybot Anti-Beacon (NOT FREE!!)
Pity, it was free last time I used it and it showed, what tweaks it did in detail, unlike most tools. I have to use Process Monitor to grab them.
I like to know, what is being changed, so I can reverse it, since backups are not always reliable. Debonet nicely shows everything necessary.

Attachments

• capture_03252020_101813.jpg
    capture_03252020_101813.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 274

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
This article is being regularly updated. I would avoid tools, that were not updated at least in 2019.

Pity, it was free last time I used it and it showed, what tweaks it did in detail, unlike most tools. I have to use Process Monitor to grab them.
I like to know, what is being changed, so I can reverse it, since backups are not always reliable. Debonet nicely shows everything necessary.
One more issue with Spybot Anti-Beaon it seems that it only supports up to Windows 1809 only according to its faqs

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
O&O ShutUp 10 and WPD
I've mostly used these two as a combo but recently I've been drawn more to using Debotnet instead of WPD. When I first tried WPD I wasn't entirely sure whether I should change the default settings for someof the options, or not. I don't know if I was just being dumb but it didn't seem clear whether I should change them or not if I wanted more privacy and less telemetry etc. I think I got the hang of it soon afterwards though. Debotnet seems clearer to me about what changing a setting will do, much like I've found ShutUp.