1Password - A Premium Password Manager for All

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
On Windows Bitwarden will be better choice since you don't have to pay extra for features you cannot use.
Most use the extension, but the 1Password Desktop app does support Windows Hello for unlocking.

I tried Bitwarden, but the UI is awful compared to LP and 1P - why is it that most FOSS have a out-of-date UX.

They are reluctant to change... decide on your own verdict from this:
This sounds like an ambitious project, and while commendable and the help is much appreciated, I would like to suggest that if you’re wanting to contribute to the UI/UX of the product, please start with some well-defined scope (vs. complete redesign, which would likely not make it in). I would say if there’s a specific client (mobile, browser, web, desktop) that you feel needs a refresh, something about user interaction, usability, etc. please add those proposals here. Keep in mind that consistency is also one of the things that adds value to the product and most of the clients are (for the most part) consistent in appearance and function across devices/platforms.
Link: Bitwarden redesign?

I just purchased 1Password last night, a family plan for about $23 for the first year, after a 50% off coupon and cash back from Rakuten.

Within 2 hours, I uninstalled it and went to Bitwarden. The ONE tiny little thing that got me: Every time I close and reopen my browser, I have to re-enter my master password.

[...]

For ease of use, I want my browser extension to keep me logged in. It's not a huge request. Lastpass did this, Bitwarden does this. It's a real shame too, I liked 1Password a lot.
Since you've migrated to Bitwarden, consider upgrading to Premium for the extra convenience against security breaches - one less website to check manually.

A bit disappointed about your first mistake... should have gotten a free trial version running before buying anything.

Some questions/suggestions:
  • why not remain logged in?
  • use browser profiles for the different users (i.e. user 1, user 2, cat 1, cat 2)

For 1Password X (extension) that is by design. It's security over convenience much like a Bank's vault.

1614874442748.png

From their Community board, dated 2018.
1Password X grew out of my desire to have something on Linux where we have no desktop app, so the unlock behaviour was designed based on those constraints. - Source

----
it proves that sometimes it is a waste of money for such programs.
That is simply not true. 1Password offers a FREE TRIAL for 14 days and is even advertised on their site.

After the first 7 days, you will receive an email about the remaining time left.

Further under billing, there is a countdown with X days before they take the first payment.

I suppose many prefer to waste money on nonsense programs such as Paid cleaners, updaters and booster software.

entropism

Level 4
Verified
Jul 30, 2019
Spawn:

I used the 2 week trial for my mobile devices (iphone 12 pro, Galaxy S21), and everything was going great. I was using 1Password and Bitwarden simultaneously on my desktop, and didn't notice I was basically using Bitwarden for everything. It is what it is.

Some questions/suggestions:
  • why not remain logged in?
  • use browser profiles for the different users (i.e. user 1, user 2, cat 1, cat 2)
I shut my PC down at night. When I do, I close out my browser. Again, silly annoyances that we should be given a choice on.

As for browser profiles, this is my own PC. My wife has her own. The cats are Luddites.

As for paying for Bitwarden to support the devs, that was the plan all along. We have no need for the paid features, but support keeps them in business.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I just purchased 1Password last night, a family plan for about $23 for the first year, after a 50% off coupon and cash back from Rakuten.

Within 2 hours, I uninstalled it and went to Bitwarden. The ONE tiny little thing that got me: Every time I close and reopen my browser, I have to re-enter my master password.

This is an inconvenience I just don't want to "deal with". My master password is a sentence. It's quite secure. I also live with my wife and my cats, and I trust them not to steal my passwords. Well, I don't trust my cats, but they're not a threat... Yet.

For ease of use, I want my browser extension to keep me logged in. It's not a huge request. Lastpass did this, Bitwarden does this. It's a real shame too, I liked 1Password a lot.

entropism

Level 4
Verified
Jul 30, 2019
Bitwarden allows you to setup a pin or biometric to unlock your vault. There's no need to enter your master password every time.

View attachment 257772
Yes, I know.

This was in regards to 1Password, and why I SWITCHED to Bitwarden.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.