D

Deleted member 178

RE: abhi95sinha's Config - Need a good AV

ok good to know, so i will skip Win8 for the moment :D

abhi95sinha

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012

Guys, tried using MBAM few hours ago but after installation, and had this problem

Does any1 know the fix to this issue ?

Attachments

• mbam.jpg
    mbam.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 496

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011

I would uninstall it using "REVO Uninstaller" (check advanced setting boxes and remove all leftovers and registry leftovers) and then reboot and download a new copy.

abhi95sinha

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012

ZOU1 said:

I would uninstall it using "REVO Uninstaller" (check advanced setting boxes and remove all leftovers and registry leftovers) and then reboot and download a new copy.

Thanks. Will try it. :)

abhi95sinha

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012

Guys, which one would you recommend out of the two :-
MBAM free or Hitman Pro

Which is better ?

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011

Actually, both are on-demand scanners which doesn't run in real-time so you can have both of them since they sort of compliment each other. What MBAM doesn't detect may be detected by HMP and vice versa. :)

D

Deleted member 178

You can have installed as many On-Demand scanners as you wish, this is not true for Real-time ones.

abhi95sinha

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012

Umbra Corp. said:
You can have installed as many On-Demand scanners as you wish, this is not true for Real-time ones.

That I'm completely aware of but did a scan with MBAM a few hrs ago and it wasn't able to detect any threats that i downloaded from over here :-
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Malware-Pack-9-files--10062

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

HitmanPro will detect those. Your first line of defence is you, then your RT AV/AM products. You can use on-demand scanners as second opinion.

You can also try ESET Online Scanner (use a non-IE browser), so you can use it locally.

abhi95sinha said:
That I'm completely aware of but did a scan with MBAM a few hrs ago and it wasn't able to detect any threats that i downloaded from over here :-
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Malware-Pack-9-files--10062

abhi95sinha

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012

Earth said:
HitmanPro will detect those. Your first line of defence is you, then your RT AV/AM products. You can use on-demand scanners as second opinion.

You can also try ESET Online Scanner (use a non-IE browser), so you can use it locally.

Thanks for the reply :D

Update :- Tried using panda total protection 2013 but after installation, I wasn't able to access the net. So, had to remove it.
Any suggestion on this issue guys ?

P

Plexx

abhi95sinha said:
Update :- Tried using panda total protection 2013 but after installation, I wasn't able to access the net. So, had to remove it.
Any suggestion on this issue guys ?

I had no problem when trying Panda.

Try it again is my suggestion. If else fails, pm pbust.

abhi95sinha

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012

Biozfear said:
I had no problem when trying Panda.

Try it again is my suggestion. If else fails, pm pbust.

Ok i'll give it a go again. This time it's IS and not the GP version.
Hope it works. :)

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011

If Panda does not suit you after trying it, I would try Avira Free Edition. It is as light as it gets. If you set it up aggressively, it is also a top tier defense mechanism. Don't let some reviews fool you. Avira is extremely tweakable compared to other AV's. When I used it, it was ferocious; not because of the default settings, but because I tweaked it.

D

Deleted member 178

ZOU1 said:
If Panda does not suit you after trying it, I would try Avira Free Edition. It is as light as it gets. If you set it up aggressively, it is also a top tier defense mechanism. Don't let some reviews fool you. Avira is extremely tweakable compared to other AV's. When I used it, it was ferocious; not because of the default settings, but because I tweaked it.

yep, it has a powerful engine and when tweaked it is quite impressive.

abhi95sinha

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012

Panda blocked all my network drivers incl. svchost and what not. So, I removed it. Btw, Earth keeps telling about user being the first line of defense and I completely agree with him on that. It's not like a bit experienced people will go on clicking and downloading everything. So :-

Update:-
Using win def and win firewall
Scanners - mbam, hitman pro, Emsisoft emergency kit, CCE.

I think that should be enough.

Btw, Earth, if you are reading this, I wanna tell you that I never got to see your config. Would you mind sharing it with us all. :) :)

abhi95sinha

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012

Hello there guys. I'm posting this with another question in mind.

How many of you think that using windows update slows down the PC.
How many of you out there install windows update. ?? :)

P

Plexx

abhi95sinha said:
Hello there guys. I'm posting this with another question in mind.

How many of you think that using windows update slows down the PC.
How many of you out there install windows update. ?? :)

You should install windows updates. The whole purpose of crucial updates is to ensure holes are fixed.

As for slowing down, no.

What I had was issues with certain updates, which by rolling back via Rollback RX or System Restore fixed it.

Whenever I do windows update I manually download them and choose which ones to install. I also give a few days and always check online if anyone had had problems whilst installing them.

abhi95sinha

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012

Biozfear said:
You should install windows updates. The whole purpose of crucial updates is to ensure holes are fixed.

As for slowing down, no.

What I had was issues with certain updates, which by rolling back via Rollback RX or System Restore fixed it.

Whenever I do windows update I manually download them and choose which ones to install. I also give a few days and always check online if anyone had had problems whilst installing them.

Thanks Bio. I too agree that not all updates "increase" PC performance as guaranteed by Microsoft. Btw, there are so many updates provided at once that checking through each becomes difficult. Luckily, for now, Microsoft hasn't pushed any updates for Win 8 yet except just for adobe flash player and intel graphics. :D

P

Plexx

I believe you misunderstood me. I never said updates would decrease performance at all.

Updates are required for a reason. Skipping them is not an ideal approach.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.