abhi95sinha's Config

P

Plexx

RE: abhi95sinha's Config - Need a good AV

I won't be able to do Win 8 tests for one reason (at least for the moment): I forgot to backup the windows 8 image. Downloading the image now is nearly impossible and will take me several days at least.

Earth and I believe others have tested Windows Defender on Windows 8.

P

Plexx

Aventador said:
If you have seen one YouTube malware video you have seen then all. Samething over and over. Doesn't matter who does and no where am I picking on anyone. A good video does not involve the use of a VM. Real world malware should be tested on a real world machine and not inside a VM.

How about you do the recordings of tests on your real machine and upload it to Youtube?

When you say a user will come across a malware infection once a year, aren't you exaggerating a bit? If that is the case, then PC repair shops and free lancers will run out of work within 1 month.

If you do not agree with videos on youtube, fair enough, your opinion but don't start with "Youtube reviews are worthless." There are many of us that dedicate free time to show how a product behaves and reacts. Not everyone that has access to youtube is computer savvy.

If you can't even respect that, regardless of your opinion, try not to post it public as it will just show to anyone your unethical behavior.

Finally: Real companies test AVs etc on Real machines? Have any proof?

abhi95sinha

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012

guys, did a test with Norton 2013 installed.

http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Malware-Pack-17-files

downloaded the above mentioned malware pack and Norton detected just 6

P

Plexx

Those are around 24 hours old or so. Norton detection is not the best but it is still a reliable product. Detection is not everything. You will need to find a solution in which you are comfortable and has a decent balance of detection and prevention.

Also bear in mind what might be considered a good solution for some users might not suit your needs. An example: Umbra's CIS + EAM combo didn't really suit my needs due to affecting my FPS on games.

abhi95sinha

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012

Those are really heavy combos for a gamer. Btw, what use is an Av if it cannot detect harmful viruses??

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

He did a few years ago, Kaspersky Internet Security 2010, I think it was.

At least with a VM, it's cheaper and easier to manage. Nothing wrong with personal testing inside a VM environment.

Biozfear said:
How about you do the recordings of tests on your real machine and upload it to Youtube?

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012

Biofear the fact that you even asked that indicates you have never read how companies like AV Comparitves and AV Test.org perform there tests. Anyone should know who has enough experience that most antiviruses behave different inside a VM. Languy99 proved that years ago with NIS. Real malware testing should and only be done on a real machine. Buy a junk pc and your all set. As far as most users running across infections on a monthy or yearly basis that's absurd. PC repair shops do more then remove malware. With the millions of pc owners out there the work load is staggering. Seeing various computers with malware infections per week is normal. But seeing the same customer every month with a malware infection is unheard of. Unless they are self distructive. My cousin has 5 laptops in his house hold. No infections on any of them in over 5 years. If you know someone who gets infected more then once or twice a year then that customer has no right using a pc. But a Mac.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011

I like the idea of using a junk PC instead of a virtual machine as well. Just sayin'.......

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012

A virtual machine tends to make software hang. You are also making your machine work harder. Junk pc's are everywhere. Heck clients give them to me. My test machine is an HP mini tower. I just tap F11 and mount the recovery partition. Full clean install of Win 7. No VM getting in the way. Just like REAL world. Its the best and only way to test a products true effectiveness. I tested AVG Free 2013 on my brand new laptop. All the top antivirus testing companies have dedicated machines to test with. No VM's. Look at tag sales or Graigslist. It also gives one a chance to gain experience on removing malware using various tools. Your not only testing the antivirus installed but your removal procedures. as well. Why ruin your everyday pc?

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011

Why ruin your everyday pc?

Amen to that. You speak the truth about testing. There are all kinds of PC's that are infected that people have given up on due to software volatility, and what better way to learn effective and efficient restoration than to get a hold of someone's old piece of junk and begin improving it?

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011

Guys could you suggest me something. I just want a fast n light software that will protect me from viruses that try to break into my PC.

Go with Avira Free Edition and see how you like it. As far as being light and effective, it does not get much better than Avira, at least pertaining to freeware.

P

Plexx

Aventador said:
Junk pc's are everywhere. Heck clients give them to me. My test machine is an HP mini tower.

You tend to forget not everyone can afford more than one system. Most users get a new system when the older one dies or stops working properly etc.

Or do you think everyone has cash to spare?

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011

If you are here in these contiguous United States, there are plenty of XP 2002 machines out there that people have given up on. Hardware filling landfills is a hot topic. Based on those facts, if you look around, you will find more junk PC's than you know what to do with. I would simply confirm that they will boot into Windows and then do what it is that you do to rid it of malicious code once you infect it. You can also practice by restoring it back from the poor state in which the novice user left the OS in the first place.

P

Plexx

Maybe for US, but what about other countries? Yes in an ideal world malware testing should be done on a real system but then other factors come into play. Some users have to use whatever they can afford to do it or will you simply label them as not true testers just because they use a VM?

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011

Maybe for US, but what about other countries?

I am not sure.

I am quasi destitute, so I have no extra cash either, but fortunately there is an abundance of old PC's no one wants.

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012

Biozfear said:
Aventador said:
Junk pc's are everywhere. Heck clients give them to me. My test machine is an HP mini tower.

You tend to forget not everyone can afford more than one system. Most users get a new system when the older one dies or stops working properly etc.

Lol....................Its called a JUNK pc. I found one at a tag sale for $25. If you find that too expensive then that's another issue. I clearly stated "junk" pc. Not new. Find an old pc and repair it then determinate it as your testing machine. Malware can jump out of a VM and in many cases has.

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012

Biozfear said:
Maybe for US, but what about other countries? Yes in an ideal world malware testing should be done on a real system but then other factors come into play. Some users have to use whatever they can afford to do it or will you simply label them as not true testers just because they use a VM?

ZOU1 said:
Maybe for US, but what about other countries?

I am not sure.

I am quasi destitute, so I have no extra cash either, but fortunately there is an abundance of old PC's no one wants.

If you have a lack of funds then why are you putting your everyday machine at risk? Dont you know malware can jump out of a VM and has several times. See reply #3.

http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/9011/does-a-virtual-machine-stop-malware-from-doing-harm

https://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/crisis-trojan-makes-its-way-virtual-machines-082112

D

Deleted member 178

In some 3rd-world countries , what is a junk PC for developed countries users is a main PC for them...

Remember that in some countries, citizens have an average salary of 100 US dollars...

abhi95sinha

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012

Absolutely correct. Different people have different availabilities in their budgets.

Btw, moving on to the real reason of this thread guys, what would you recommend between hitman pro and MBAM pro that can ag along well with CIS ? :p

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.