McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
RE: abhi95sinha's Config - Need a good AV

ZOU1 said:
Now if Microsoft was headquartered at Kaspersky or Dr. Web in Muscovy, that would be different.

Can not agree more with that comment. Well said. ;)

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012

MSE is a very good free antivirus. Not on par with Avast or AVG but still very good. The fact that he is also using an OS which has yet to be targeted for malware attacks is also a plus. Leave it be. Back it up and your all set.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Aventador said:
MSE is a very good free antivirus. Not on par with Avast or AVG but still very good. The fact that he is also using an OS which has yet to be targeted for malware attacks is also a plus. Leave it be. Back it up and your all set.

The only thing I have with MSE, is that it has no web shield and (when I last used it) the scan was a tad slow.

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012

Web shields are not that necessary as long as your real time detects it when the download is complete or when executed. Norton does a superb job at detecting malware and it lacks a web shield. Comodo also lacks a web shield. I use Avast cause I like it. Works great out of the box or tweaked.

D

Deleted member 178

Biozfear did a review/test and MSE was not great at all.

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012

Youtube reviews are worthless. Hundreds upon hundreds of videos with someone throwing 20 malware samples at an av in a matter of seconds is not real world. In the real world a normal user comes across about one malware infection in a year. If it detects it then its all worth it. Heck Languy99 made a video or Norton failing big time. I guess Norton is not that great either.

D

Deleted member 178

Biozfear is one of our members and he is quite reliable when he does reviews/tests, not just basically throwing malwares but also considering resources usage, scans speed, removal efficiency, user-friendliness, etc... with neutrality.

He posted many reviews here on MT, and they are quite informative, not the "real truth of the universe" of course.

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012

If you have seen one YouTube malware video you have seen then all. Samething over and over. Doesn't matter who does and no where am I picking on anyone. A good video does not involve the use of a VM. Real world malware should be tested on a real world machine and not inside a VM.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Aventador said:
A good video does not involve the use of a VM. Real world malware should be tested on a real world machine and not inside a VM.

Only thing with that, it might be harder to do a video for it, i.e screen recording.

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012

McLovin said:
Aventador said:
A good video does not involve the use of a VM. Real world malware should be tested on a real world machine and not inside a VM.

Only thing with that, it might be harder to do a video for it, i.e screen recording.

Nope. Screen video works just fine. Did many myself for haha's. Used camtasia works just fine.

D

Deleted member 178

Aventador said:

i like to do under Shadow Mode of Shadow Defender (but rebooting may be an issue) or when using Rollback RX.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Aventador said:
Nope. Screen video works just fine. Did many myself for haha's. Used camtasia works just fine.

Might of said it wrong, if your doing it on a live machine without a VM, if your PC restarts during the test you will loose that video, and if you have to restart, let's say for Malwarebytes sake, you will have to stop the recording, so that is why I think it's much better doing it in a VM.

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012

Still not real world. Companies like AV Comparitives dont use a VM. They use real machines with fresh OS installs.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Yeah I guess, just might be hard for recording.

To get back on topic :D

Nice setup. :)

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012

McLovin said:
Aventador said:

Might of said it wrong, if your doing it on a live machine without a VM, if your PC restarts during the test you will loose that video, and if you have to restart, let's say for Malwarebytes sake, you will have to stop the recording, so that is why I think it's much better doing it in a VM.

Why would your pc restart except if it crashed. If it does then start all over. But a video is only nessasary if your going to upload it. I test malware on a real machine. Picked up a used HP laptop. Test out a new product. Once I am done I mount a new image. No VM needed.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011

I'd rather recommend for you to use the built-in AV in Windows 8 which is Windows Defender which is actually MSE. It works fine. Although detection's ain't top notch, it's not that bad either. It works really quiet and it won't interrupt you with constant popups. :)

abhi95sinha

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012

Earth said:
I was using Norton 2012, but updated to Norton AV 2013 today. So far so good.

But no not Norton and AVG together, I don't think that's a sensible thing to do.

Symantec did boast that Norton would make the win 8 PC faster by 50% compared to Win Defender but it's the opposite case with me. I had a rather slower startup.

abhi95sinha

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012

Aventador said:

OK, I was having the same idea in mind. (Btw, I think you all know that win def n MSE are not one and the same software in win 8. I didnt like win def before so I didn't use it but I think it's quite good for a low end user).I think backing it up with an on demand scanner would be enough for the time being.

abhi95sinha

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012

Aventador said:
Web shields are not that necessary as long as your real time detects it when the download is complete or when executed. Norton does a superb job at detecting malware and it lacks a web shield. Comodo also lacks a web shield. I use Avast cause I like it. Works great out of the box or tweaked.

In my PC, avast sucked. Win 8 took a long time to startup and the real time scanning was pretty slow as well.

abhi95sinha

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012

Umbra Corp. said:
Biozfear is one of our members and he is quite reliable when he does reviews/tests, not just basically throwing malwares but also considering resources usage, scans speed, removal efficiency, user-friendliness, etc... with neutrality.

He posted many reviews here on MT, and they are quite informative, not the "real truth of the universe" of course.

I'll ask him to do a re-test of Win Def on Win 8. would like to see if Microsoft has improved anything in win def security feature in it's new OS built specifically for tablets

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.