abhi95sinha's Config

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
RE: abhi95sinha's Config - Need a good AV

CIS already is a very good suite that offers great protection on its own. In my opinion, you should just run CIS alone so your PC will run as fast as it can while providing you great protection at the same time. Have you tried the latest version of AVG Free? It's compatible with Windows 8 and it's very good. It's light and it's got a good detection rate. :)

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012

Junk pc's are available EVERYWHERE for FREE. People I am speaking about junk. Not used or new. Pocket change. If funds are hard to come by then why are you risking your hard earned money putting your real everyday pc at risk? Ask yourself that. No matter how you roll the dice testing malware on your everyday machine is not a good practice to get into even when your using a VM. abhi95sinha stop worrying about so much. Leave your OS alone. Its brand new. Once it fails you then worry about it. MSE which comes preinstalled is perfectly fine. No need to spend any money ever on an antivirus.

abhi95sinha

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012

Aventador said:
Junk pc's are available EVERYWHERE for FREE. People I am speaking about junk. Not used or new. Pocket change. If funds are hard to come by then why are you risking your hard earned money putting your real everyday pc at risk? Ask yourself that. No matter how you roll the dice testing malware on your everyday machine is not a good practice to get into even when your using a VM. abhi95sinha stop worrying about so much. Leave your OS alone. Its brand new. Once it fails you then worry about it. MSE which comes preinstalled is perfectly fine. No need to spend any money ever on an antivirus.

I get your point. It's true that not much systems are attacked by malware now-a-days and I don't think that there are much threats once you know what you want out of the net and what is legit. :D

However, Is it bad just to add an extra layer of protection on the PC so that you can be sure of protecting confidential stuff ?

I completely agree with you on he point that malware attacks are very rare but when they do occur, they completely trash your PC forcing you to install everything all over again. I'm taking this scenario cuz I think that every1 will agree with me on the point that Win Def will do a decent job blocking babies but the only ones that are gonna lay virus codes on you PCs are the big MAMMAs that will get past that average security + we all know that windows 8 might be the safest OS yet but breaking something back down (here for eg. security) is much easier that building it up. :p

So having a light security as an addition to win def culdn't simply do any harm, will it? ;) Please tell me what you think about my point of view. :)

abhi95sinha

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012

BoXX28 said:
CIS already is a very good suite that offers great protection on its own. In my opinion, you should just run CIS alone so your PC will run as fast as it can while providing you great protection at the same time. Have you tried the latest version of AVG Free? It's compatible with Windows 8 and it's very good. It's light and it's got a good detection rate. :)

CIS virus detection is not quite good. Same like WD. Using Norton 2013 and I agree that It's the lightest but skips a lot of viruses?? :(

AVG's RAM usage still hasn't decreased to match up with light weight category line and has got below average anti-phishing detection.
Might be that the name AVG was given to the suite for a reason.:p

D

Deleted member 178

abhi95sinha said:
CIS virus detection is not quite good.

a 75%-85% detection is quite correct if you consider that after D+ will stop what the AV may miss.

I think MBAM Pro is not necessary, just let it on demand with Hitman Pro.

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012

With Windows 8 you no longer need to reformat and reinstall Windows.

P

Plexx

CIS is fine on its own as long as you use Defense plus. You can pump it up using Chiron's guide.

You can always use other solutions. My best suggestion is try it for yourself and choose the one you are most comfortable with.

abhi95sinha

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012

Umbra Corp. said:
abhi95sinha said:
CIS virus detection is not quite good.

a 75%-85% detection is quite correct if you consider that after D+ will stop what the AV may miss.

I think MBAM Pro is not necessary, just let it on demand with Hitman Pro.

I tried running MBAM pro today and it didn't even popped up it's main window. And the RAM usage is pathetic. I had tied it a year before and it was quite smooth and that too on a low-mid end PC.

I know I keep asking you this and might be I annoy you every time with this Qs but what are you using right now. :p :D

abhi95sinha

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012

Aventador said:
With Windows 8 you no longer need to reformat and reinstall Windows.

Let me ask you this. Have you tried Win 8 Aventador? The refresh PC doesn't works and asks for the installation CD. And when it works, it's like formatting your computer without destroying your PC preferences and certain file but when I did refresh it, my PC had gotten a bit slower + it takes a lot of time. I don't know if this was just my problem but as a result, for me, Refresh is a no-no

abhi95sinha

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012

Biozfear said:
CIS is fine on its own as long as you use Defense plus. You can pump it up using Chiron's guide.

You can always use other solutions. My best suggestion is try it for yourself and choose the one you are most comfortable with.

Trying Norton 2013 now and it's super light but super dumb at detection as well. The s**t stuff can't detect big viruses but instead detects tracking cookies.

From my point of view, I think Symantec wants to increase their cookie detection to make up for those viruses detection problems. :p

D

Deleted member 178

abhi95sinha said:
I know I keep asking you this and might be I annoy you every time with this Qs but what are you using right now. :p :D

No, its fine, if i can help ;)

Actually, i am only using Emsisoft AM v7 beta + Online Armor Premium beta .

On my system it is quite light and gave me a high detection rate and it is very solid at prevention via OAP's HIPS.

I don't feel slowdown during browsing internet.

I set the signatures updates to be done every 30mn.

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012

Windows 8 IS NOT OFFICAL YET. It's beta which means use at your own risk. Wait till its officially released. There are two methods of Refesh. Which one did you use?

abhi95sinha

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012

Umbra Corp. said:
No, its fine, if i can help ;)

Actually, i am only using Emsisoft AM v7 beta + Online Armor Premium beta .

On my system it is quite light and gave me a high detection rate and it is very solid at prevention via OAP's HIPS.

I don't feel slowdown during browsing internet.

I set the signatures updates to be done every 30mn.

Ooh. So now you've turned to beta testing, huh? I too am thinking of using OAP since I've got a key with a good AV but not essentially EAM cuz of it's false positivity as I've heard :)

abhi95sinha

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012

Aventador said:
Windows 8 IS NOT OFFICAL YET. It's beta which means use at your own risk. Wait till its officially released. There are two methods of Refesh. Which one did you use?

I'm using MSDN. It's pretty much what consumers are going to get on Oct 26.

First I used settings refresh but it didn't work so I used CD refresh

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

You can Turn off 2 options:
- Tracking Cookie detection
- Smart Definitions

You cannot blame the product for "failing" if you, the user is playing with malware.

abhi95sinha said:
Trying Norton 2013 now and it's super light but super dumb at detection as well. The s**t stuff can't detect big viruses but instead detects tracking cookies.

D

Deleted member 178

abhi95sinha said:
but not essentially EAM cuz of it's false positivity as I've heard :)

Still have some, but far less than with Ikarus engine.

You should give a try, it have the same features (even more, Web filter, etc...) than CIS but the detection rate is far higher, it is why i don't need any companion AV anymore.

I think it might fit to your needs.

abhi95sinha

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012

Earth said:
You can Turn off 2 options:
- Tracking Cookie detection
- Smart Definitions

You cannot blame the product for "failing" if you, the user is playing with malware.

That's true though but you know, no one can get peace of mind once they know that their AV can skip viruses which can impact their PC's (and files, passwords etc) safety.

abhi95sinha

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012

Umbra Corp. said:
Still have some, but far less than with Ikarus engine.

You should give a try, it have the same features (even more, Web filter, etc...) than CIS but the detection rate is far higher, it is why i don't need any companion AV anymore.

I think it might fit to your needs.

Ok I think I'll give it a try alongside OAP or Win Firewall. :D

D

Deleted member 178

abhi95sinha said:
Ok I think I'll give it a try alongside OAP or Win Firewall. :D

try the combo, EAM with OAP, but i am not sure it will work on win8, i didnt check.

abhi95sinha

Thread author
Aug 29, 2012

Umbra Corp. said:
try the combo, EAM with OAP, but i am not sure it will work on win8, i didnt check.

EAM is fully compatible but OAP has certain kinks that needs to be fixed with win 8 "X64" but for x86, it's fully compatible.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.